STD/Working from home/FMLA-- what would you do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-04-2011, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Just looking for a little advice.

I'm 37 weeks pregnant, and I have SPD. I've been limping around work but today hit rock bottom when I was barely able to get to the bathroom in time. 

I called my ob to talk to the nurse about crutches or something-- she seemed hesitant-- but did say that she would write a note saying that I needed to work from home; if my boss agreed to let me work from home? :dizzy:

I have a sitting down job; but it would be much easier for me be at home-- I feel that driving/ getting in and out of the car exacerbates the pain. At the same time, I know that bedrest is usually for women who or whose babies are in danger-- and that's not me.

I don't know whether I should talk to my boss about working from home, or just stick it out. I'm afraid he'll say no, and I'm a bit dissapointed in the fact that I can't make it through the way I did last time.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-05-2011, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First of all, hug.gif

Second, I would just go ahead and ask. What's the worse that can happen? He says "no" and perhaps you take your maternity leave a little early? I would think he'd probably want to have you set up to work at home in hopes that you will maybe come back from leave a bit early. In fact, that's probably how I would present it---as a solution that allows you to give more of your time to the job as you prepare for and then recover from birth. Maybe it's something that would work for you to do part-time (ie, 3 days from home, 2 in the office)?

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#3 of 6 Old 01-05-2011, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

I already have the flexibility of working from home every now and again... For example, my hip/leg are killing me so I'm working at home today instead of taking a sick day. All very unoffical.

I'm afraid I'll 'loose' that option if I ask to work from home for an extended period of time, adn they say no. At the same time, we are talking about just a few weeks.  On the other hand, this is seriously affecting my life. I'm in so much pain when I get home-- I sit on the couch and do nothing until the next morning. I guess you are right, no harm in asking. If it doesn't work, I'll consider taking fmla at 39 weeks.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#4 of 6 Old 01-05-2011, 05:50 AM

It depends on your company's culture, your relationship with your manager and whether your job can actually be done from home or not.  I think there isn't much harm in asking.  Your manager might prefer to have you working from home than trying to get your work done without you!

#5 of 6 Old 01-05-2011, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post

I'm afraid I'll 'loose' that option if I ask to work from home for an extended period of time.

Why? Does your boss not like the occasional working from home? I don't get how using the option for an extended period would cause the option to be removed altogether. If anything, I would think the fact that you have already shown the ability to be productive from home to be a point in your favor when asking to WAH for a longer period of time.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#6 of 6 Old 01-05-2011, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I forgot to add that they have already said no to working from home part time. (I asked when I came back to work with my son last year.). I'm just talking about the time from now until when this baby comes (and hopefully the spd resolves itself.)

I guess I'm just feeling low/unconfident about how I'm doing at work; it feels like they are doing such a favor keeping me on-- work is slow for everyone, and I know I haven't done really well this year. *sigh* I"m going to call my ob's office and ask again what the options are regarding STD before talking to my boss.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page