Returning to work - BF alternatives during daytime - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-29-2004, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone, just wanting a bit of advice please.

I'll be returning to work at the beginning of May and DS will be 11mths old. Here in NZ we're advised to continue with either BF or formula until 12mths (ie 3 BFs or bottles a day). Just wondering what would be the best to do about daytime milk feeds? DS is fully on solids now and taking 3 meals a day and only BFs 3xday (I've needed to get into a schedule and wean feeding back to make for an easier transition and he doesn't feed during the night).

I plan on continuing with the morning and bedtime feed until he self-weans. What would you offer for a drink during the day? Would you offer formula for a month (DS has never had a bottle, but does ok with a sippy cup) or do you not think I need to replace that third feed with other milk, what about whole milk or will just water be ok and make sure he gets plenty of other calcium from food?

I'm just unsure what to do, what do you other working mama's do once your DCs are over 12mths old?

TIA, just need to get myself a little sorted here.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2004, 10:34 AM

went back at 11 mnths too! I actually transitioned to more solids and gave him exclusively water in my absence. However, I was also bfing at night (we were cosleeping).

I don't think it's necessary at his age to put him on formula or milk.... he'll still be bfing in am and evening. He's really too young for milk yet, and after bfing this long.. formula will probably be unpalatable at this stage. I'd give him yogurt instead if you're worried about calcium and stick to good ol' water.... but that's just my 02 cents.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:55 PM

I agree with indigomama. It would be shame to introduce formula now after he's had the Best Stuff on Earth for so long. In fact, he'd probably find it rather disgusting, lol. If he's getting your milk morning and evening I would'nt worry too much about it. I think he's too young for cow's milk, but yogurt is a great idea. It's only one "milk" feed and honestly, I think he won't even miss it. Just have him offered water in a sippy cup so he can hydrate himself when needed.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 03-29-2004, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! That's what I thought as well -
I really wanted to stay away from formula or cows milk. I don't think he'll miss the afternoon nurse too much, I make sure it's at different times so it's not associated with napping or waking etc. He's been doing quite well with water from the sippy cup, so will start to offer that instead closer to the time.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

User Tag List