Resume help please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-08-2011, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am applying to grad school and have just dug up my resume, which does not have anything on it after 2003. I have been a SAHM since 2005 so what is the consensus out there on putting something to that effect on there or leaving it off? The application package does have an essay in which I can mention that but I have to keep it short and it doesn't seem to fit into the criteria of what they were asking me to write about. Also, are there any great resume websites out there?

#2 of 6 Old 01-14-2011, 03:57 PM

I'm not sure what the industry standard is for putting on or leaving off SAHM experience on a resume, but I think it would really depend on the field.  And on a grad school application, I see no reason why you wouldn't explain the employment gap on your resume in some way...so I think mentioning it is fine.

Several years ago I found a really great website re. writing cover letters, but I think I found it just by searching google. (Not sure I would recognize the site anyway, so I didn't search for it again.)

Courtney-Ostaff likes this.

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

#3 of 6 Old 01-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Dar

What are you going to grad school for? Most grad school programs would want a CV, not a resume, I think...

Definitely don't put SAHM on your resume. A resume is for things like paid employment and volunteer work and education, not family responsibilities. If your application doesn't have a place for a cover letter, often there's a question about any special circumstances that you want to mention. If not, work it into your essay briefly, like, "After devoting the past 5 years to family responsibilities, I am now eager to move on to the next phase of my life by attending Your Graduate Program." You might consider a resume organized by skills rather than chronologically,

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#4 of 6 Old 01-14-2011, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Do you have a Job Service agency in your state?  They have people you can set up appointments with for free and they look over resumes.  If you just tell them you are looking for work they should be able to help you make a nice resume that will work for either work or grad school.  If you are close to the university you graduated from and they have a career center they should also have people there who help you put your resume together for grad schools or work.  My university's career center lets people e-mail resumes to get advice also.  I really suggest getting a professional to look over it.  I did that with my resume and it is a really incredible resume with wording that never occurred to me when I wrote my rough draft and brought it in.. 

#5 of 6 Old 01-15-2011, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I am applying to grad school for fashion design! Wish me luck/good vibes.

#6 of 6 Old 01-15-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyshoppinghabit View Post

Thanks guys. I am applying to grad school for fashion design! Wish me luck/good vibes.

Well in that case, any design work you have done (yes, even as a SAHM) needs to be on the resume.  So, if you designed kitting patterns for clothing for your children, that counts.  If you made sewing patterns for your childrens, friends, family's clothing, that counts.  If you sold anything on Etsy or anywhere else either, that goes on there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page