Ending Pumping - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-29-2004, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know there have been a lot of pumping threads recently but I am adding one. I have had supply problems all along--sometimes pumping as many as five times a day! There were a couple of months that I had to supplement. Now, dd is 14 months old and I have been stopping pumping. Even when I was still pumping three or four times a day, I was barely getting 4 ounces total. So, last week dd had some cow's milk. She liked it just fine. Today I pumped just once (right now actually) and if I get 2 ounces I'll be lucky. Obviously I could stop pumping today and not have any over-supply problems.

Problem is: although I will be glad to end the pressure of pumping I am really sad not to be giving my dd breast milk during the day. She still nurses as soon as I get home, when she goes to bed, a couple of times a night and in the morning. And, on the weekends she will nurse often so it's not like our nursing relationship is over. I guess I still worry about my supply. If it is dropping during the day, isn't it dropping at night too?

It has been hard enough to be a WOHM without having these constant supply issues/problems/doubts etc. I'm sorry for rambling. I'm just feeling sad.

Mama to two wonderful daughers: 02/03/03 and 10/19/05
#2 of 9 Old 03-29-2004, 05:29 PM

this too shall pass. I remember being so happy to not have to stress about pumping at work anymore but feeling guilty that my kids weren't getting bm at daycare anymore. It bothered me more than it bothered them. Truth told, I don't think either child noticed when it occurred. I never found that my supply during the evenings dwindled. Both seemed perfectly content to nurse at night/evening. I think you should be proud that you pumped for 14 months! It is a change though, and of course you'll grieve that. You're a good mama!
#3 of 9 Old 03-29-2004, 05:51 PM

Harper;
I pumped my last on Wednesday of last week (we had enough milk in the freezer for a few days, but today was the last of that). Brought my stuff home to wash it, and although I don't actually miss pumping per se, ITKWYM about the rest. I'm feeling sad, just b/c it's a change. And it means she's getting older, and not my teeny little baby anymore. DH introduced whole milk today, and apparently she liked it well enough, so that's good but still..

To make sure my supply doesn't dry up, I'm going to drink Mother's Milk tea in the evening, to give myself a before-bed boost, and make sure to eat things w/ oats during the wkd. And I'll probably keep taking herbals on the wkds for a while...

I'm w/ you, mama...
#4 of 9 Old 03-29-2004, 07:43 PM

Your body will adjust. With dd, I weaned the pump at 13 mos and she continued nursing nights and weekends whenever she wanted until weaning at 20 mos, when I was 5 mos pg.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#5 of 9 Old 03-30-2004, 12:24 AM

i stopped pumping on dd's 1 yr bday. I had some milk in the freezer we mixed 50/50 with cow juice.

I work part time (well...4 hrs in the am and 4 hrs after she goes to bed). I had supply issues too -- my dd now nurses 3 x a day. Morning, noon and to bed. I do occasionally feel like she should be getting my milk like kids of sahm, but honestly...I'm not sure she cares.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#6 of 9 Old 03-30-2004, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much everyone. It is always so nice to have a place to come where people will understand.

#7 of 9 Old 03-30-2004, 12:44 PM

harper: don't worry!

I went back to work when DD was 15 months and had to wean her during the day. My body still makes plenty of milk for her evenings, nights and mornings! I don't think it makes too much on the weekends during the day, but that doesn't seem to be bothering her.

It's amazing how our bodies work: you make the milk when you need it!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#8 of 9 Old 04-06-2004, 12:01 PM

Know what you mean about the ! I'm down to 1 pump session in the am, and as soon as I'm able, I'm cutting that one too. I told DH I was feeling sad the other day since this is my last baby and he's getting cow's milk now. He has never understood my passion for BF my children and how important it is/was to me. It's nice to see that I'm not alone.

It's definately nice to not feel the constant pressure of "will I have enough milk to send to daycare tommorrow?!" plagueing me all day though. But very depressing too.

Anyway- Hope you're feeling better and remember to give yourself credit for the awesome job you have done!
#9 of 9 Old 04-06-2004, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

I'm still on the fence. I am down to one pumping a day and I only pumped 2 1/2 ounces yesterday. I did figure out that my biggest problem is that pumping was a way of connecting with dd even when I wasn't with her. I would stop working and pump and make milk for her (and read the MDC boards!!). I also knew that during the day she was still connected to me through my milk. It is all about me. I really don't think that she cares. I may just keep pumping those two ounces for awhile until I really feel ready to make the leap!

Thanks again for all of your support.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page