Full time working and student moms: Tell me about your life. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-06-2011, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!

I'm stuck with what's turning out to be a really tough decision.  I'm working on my Bachelor's in medical laboratory science.  The lab that I want to work in when I graduate is hiring. Its not a tech job, basically I would be an assistant, replacing supplies, answering phones, etc. I would get benefits (health insurance, dental, vision, free health clinic for employees and their spouses and kids, 401k, etc.) AND I would get 75-100% tuition reimbursement for my major!!!! Its just too great an opportunity to pass up. Except: Its a full time, 40hrs a week position. The hours are night, so I would be there sometimes until 2am, but its 7days on/ 7 days off.  I currently do ALL my studying at night when DH is home to entertain DS.

Can I do this?  DH works full time (and sometimes overtime) and we have a 3 year old son with no one that can help with babysitting. 

I don't want to get overwhelmed in school and lose motivation. If I don't take this job though, I'm passing up great health insurance (we are uninsured currently) and the tuition reimbursement.

Working and student moms: Tell me I can do this. How do you do it?

#2 of 5 Old 02-06-2011, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakah View Post

Can I do this? 

Working and student moms: Tell me I can do this. How do you do it?

If you want it bad enough, you would be amazed at what you can (and will) do.   

I am a solo parent to ds, full-time elementary school teacher and a full-time graduate student. 

How do I do it?  I want it... I love grad school.  I love the future possibilities of my new career.  It's my ultimate passion.  Honestly, my classes are often like a vacation for me. 

Practically speaking, I ask for help when I need it.  Plan ahead.  Keep life as simple as possible.  And... I am nice to myself when times get overly crazy and stressed.  I have two mantras:  "Stay in the moment" & "This too shall pass."   

#3 of 5 Old 02-06-2011, 08:20 PM
~pi

Sounds like an amazing opportunity. Could you go to school part time? That might make it a little easier.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#4 of 5 Old 02-07-2011, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

It sounds like you aren't working now?  If that is correct, then this will be additional income you could put towards hiring someone to help you?  You also wouldn't have to pay your current tuition yourself (or at least are reimbursed).  My DP is going to be moving out of state a month or 3 ahead of me for a better paying job, but our income will be lower because I'll be hiring someone to help me while he's gone. 

In your position I would grab that opportunity with both hands and use it to prove how great you are.

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#5 of 5 Old 02-07-2011, 08:09 AM

Yes you can do it. It sounds like a wonderful opportunity. I vote for using the extra money to pay for preschool/babysitting.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page