How do I figure what I want to do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-10-2011, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you don't feel as though you have a particular "calling" (besides parenthood), how on earth do you figure out what to do, job/career-wise?

Are there books that any of you mamas have found especially helpful?

Particular aptitude tests that I should be taking?

How do I figure out what I want to be when I grow up??

It feels as though everyone else has something that they've always wanted to do/ known they were good at.

Both time and budget are tight, but I have this vague idea that, if I can first chose a path, maybe I should start by slowly taking online classes from a local-ish (bricks-and-mortar) state university, which was last school I attended in person (I quit undergrad after a couple of years, when I realized that I really didn't know what career sounded like a good fit for me).  

I feel like now (while my youngest is still a toddler) would be a good time to get this sorted out and start down a path, but nothing calls out to me!
I feel like an aspiration-less loser!  Please help.

Any advice, wise Mamas?

Thanks for reading,

alsoSarah

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
#2 of 9 Old 02-10-2011, 10:17 AM

My friend really liked What Color is Your Parachute to help her decide what she was best suited for.

Another friend has Zen and the Art of Making a Living, but I haven't heard a review.

#3 of 9 Old 02-10-2011, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, Hoopin' Mama!  love.gif

I'll order those from the library asap!

Please keep the ideas coming, I need all the help I can get... 

alsoSarah

These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
#4 of 9 Old 02-10-2011, 12:23 PM

Most community colleges have a careers course that you can take (often for credit), that can help in that arena.  It usually includes personality tests, quizzes, and a book or two.  I took one toward the beginning of my education, and it was really helpful to me.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#5 of 9 Old 02-10-2011, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip, Italianmom!
I'll see if my U. offers a class like that!

alsoSarah

#6 of 9 Old 02-10-2011, 06:43 PM

I spent a lot of time thinking about what I'd do if I had no constraints - time, money, family scheduling. It actually took me a while because my life is so full with things I must do, but that helped put me in the right direction.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#7 of 9 Old 02-12-2011, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

:notes

Thanks, Mamas!

VisionaryMom, it's embarrassing, but I can't seem to come up with much that I'd enjoy besides, "hang out with my kids!" Once they're in school all day, I'll need a backup plan, so I keep re-asking myself what I'd like to do/be good at.....

alsoSarah

#8 of 9 Old 02-13-2011, 03:39 AM

no book recommendations, and I also don't feel like there is that one thing that I need to pursue career-wise, so no help there. But maybe you can look through the catalog of classes offered by your uni and see what different courses you would be interested in. Maybe they all have some aspects in common that point you in the right direction.

hh2.gif

#9 of 9 Old 02-13-2011, 02:33 PM

One thing to think about, too, is whether you're trying to find something to do to support your family and bring in some good bacon, or whether you're trying to find something to do just for the sake of having a career.  I know that what I'd like to do with myself each day isn't what I will end up having a career in, simply because I will need to bring some good income to the table when I do take the time to work.  If that makes sense...

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page