Nursing/Pre-nursing student mamas? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 122 Old 05-05-2011, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Glad to hear that everyone is doing well!  Good luck to those of you taking summer classes and for those of you who aren't, enjoy the break!  =)

Right now I'm waiting to hear back from the Student Affairs Committee at my school to see if my petition to defer my acceptance into the BSN program from this Fall '11 to Winter (Jan '12) was approved or denied.  I found out I was accepted into the Nursing Program I've worked so hard to get into about 2 months ago.... RIGHT after I found out I was pregnant...with twins.  So, I petitioned to put off starting for a semester so I have time to have the babies/ recover (our semester starts in September, I'm due October 4th).  So, right now it's just a waiting game for me....  If my petition isn't approved, I don't know what I'm gonna' do!!

I'm starting two classes next week, for Spring semester (so I can get them out of the way before the babies are born).  I'll be taking Pathophysiology and Biochem.  I'm nervous 'cause it's a much shorter semester (and I HATE chem)...but I figure it's better to get it done now than when I have two infants! 

RN-BSN student mama to my wildchild, DS, 6 bouncy.gif....with twin boys on the way October 4, 2011!

#62 of 122 Old 05-06-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphel View Post

I got in!!!!!!!

Whoo-hooo! Congrats! I find out at the beginning of June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishereal View Post

Anyone taking summer classes?

Me. Some English class. Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlit View Post

Glad to hear that everyone is doing well!  Good luck to those of you taking summer classes and for those of you who aren't, enjoy the break!  =)

Right now I'm waiting to hear back from the Student Affairs Committee at my school to see if my petition to defer my acceptance into the BSN program from this Fall '11 to Winter (Jan '12) was approved or denied.  I found out I was accepted into the Nursing Program I've worked so hard to get into about 2 months ago.... RIGHT after I found out I was pregnant...with twins.  So, I petitioned to put off starting for a semester so I have time to have the babies/ recover (our semester starts in September, I'm due October 4th).  So, right now it's just a waiting game for me....  If my petition isn't approved, I don't know what I'm gonna' do!!

I'm starting two classes next week, for Spring semester (so I can get them out of the way before the babies are born).  I'll be taking Pathophysiology and Biochem.  I'm nervous 'cause it's a much shorter semester (and I HATE chem)...but I figure it's better to get it done now than when I have two infants! 

Good luck!

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#63 of 122 Old 05-06-2011, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I think it is safe to say that newborn twins and biochem are non-mixy things. Yikes! Good luck with your petition. At least there's hope of getting it approved. The program I'm attending doesn't allow anything like that, if you drop a class for any reason, you have to go through the entire application process all over again. And we are definitely not using any form of birth control right now, aside from my nursing. I should probably do something about that, huh? Sheepish.gif

Nitenites, good luck, I hope you get good news in June!

L, student nurse and married to A, my union man. Happy parents to little S!   joy.gif

#64 of 122 Old 05-15-2011, 03:18 PM

Alright ladies how did you all make out this Spring Semester? Mine is as follows

AP1 lecture - A

AP1 lab - (hasn't been posted yet *blah* )

Microbiology lecture- A

Micro lab- A

English2 - A

Developmental Psych. - B (hated this class)

I take statistics and gov't1 Summer 2 and AP 2 Summer 3!!!! I am excited, I will be done with all of my pre -req's by December. I am hoping to get the invite to take the TEAS V sometime during the Fall semester, until then I am heading to Half Price Books and getting some study material. 

hola.gif
#65 of 122 Old 05-18-2011, 06:48 AM

Ishereal, I found the practice tests from ATI (the one you can take online) VERY helpful. There's a lot of chemistry on the TEAS V. Good luck!

DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#66 of 122 Old 05-18-2011, 01:23 PM

@nitenites is it available to the public or would I have to purchase it? I want to start studying now! lol 

hola.gif
#67 of 122 Old 05-18-2011, 03:04 PM

You'd have to purchase it from their website. IIRC, they offer a package of 2 online tests that you can take twice each. 

Edited to add: It's not just the content of the online tests that help, but taking them from ATI helps you get used to the format of the actual TEAS. It helped me manage my time during the actual test much better, because I knew what to expect (to an extent.) I got a 92.7 on the TEAS V. 

ishereal likes this.

#68 of 122 Old 05-18-2011, 04:07 PM

@nitenites a 92?!!!! AWESOME!!!! Is the science section really as obscure as people say it is? I hear it is hard to study for because it is so broad.....

hola.gif
#69 of 122 Old 05-20-2011, 10:17 AM

Yeah, it really is that broad. If you've had anatomy & chemistry you'll do great, though. I hadn't yet taken chem and still managed to do well by studying the study guide. I also took a couple of practices in the study guide, then studied what I was weak on by using a chem textbook that I checked out from the library.

#70 of 122 Old 05-21-2011, 09:14 AM

Awesome! Thnx for letting me pick your brain :) 

hola.gif
#71 of 122 Old 05-21-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishereal View Post

Awesome! Thnx for letting me pick your brain :) 

Glad to help! love.gif

#72 of 122 Old 05-22-2011, 12:53 PM

Just thought I'd poke my head in... hope that's okay.

I just finishing my first year of a two year LPN program. We have a four week surgical clinical rotation and then we're done for the summer and back for September. I'm getting really excited, this year flew by SO fast and I can't wait until next year.

Me and DH are comtemplating TTC around October-December of next year, so we'd have our first (hopefully) soon after I graduate and before I write my CPNRE (Canadian NCLEX-PN). I'm not sure if it's going to be a good idea or not. It would mean I'd be pregnant through the last semester of school (not something I mind all that much). Have any of you lovely ladies tried to accomplish that? I'd really prefer to have my first before I start working. I don't fancy trying to find a job while I'm pregnant... I know they can't legally reject me because of pregnancy, but imagine it's still a bit harder to find a job all the same.

I'm very dedicated and doing wonderfully in school... and I'm about 98% sure that is what I want to do.... I'm just wondering what everyone's opinion on it is?

Lost our first to ectopic...

angel.gif August 19th, 2011 angel.gif

Lost our second to an early miscarriage...

angel.gif February 14th, 2012 angel.gif

#73 of 122 Old 05-22-2011, 04:12 PM

@Colta, Welcome! You can pop your head in anytime. I'm sure there are many moms here that can chime in and give you some advice.  :)

hola.gif
#74 of 122 Old 05-22-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphel View Post

I got in!!!!!!!

To the associate program that is. I had planned on going straight to a BSN, had even registered for fall classes that would count towards my gen eds, and then I find out I got into the RN program I had been lusting after. Yay! Even though I will likely bridge to a BSN right after getting my RN, the school I'm attending will provide fantastic clinical experience, probably better than some of the BSN programs in the area. I can't wait to start clinicals!

How is everyone else doing?

Hey aphel do you mind if I ask which school you'll be going to?  I found out pretty much the same day you did that I got into my ASN program for next year and I'm wondering if we're going to the same school.  I'll be going to Prairie State if that happens to be the one you'll be going to.  Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it.

#75 of 122 Old 05-26-2011, 07:27 PM

My petition for deferment was approved!!!  biggrinbounce.gif  So now instead of starting clinicals in September, I'll start in January... which will give me at least a little time at home with my babies before heading back to school.  Until then... I've gotta focus on getting through my 8 week semester of Patho and Biochem - - ughhhh!

ishereal likes this.

RN-BSN student mama to my wildchild, DS, 6 bouncy.gif....with twin boys on the way October 4, 2011!

#76 of 122 Old 05-29-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:

My petition for deferment was approved!!!  biggrinbounce.gif  So now instead of starting clinicals in September, I'll start in January... which will give me at least a little time at home with my babies before heading back to school.  Until then... I've gotta focus on getting through my 8 week semester of Patho and Biochem - - ughhhh!

joy.gifGood! Glad to hear you got the deferment!

And I just got my letter of acceptance to the School of Nursing. Yikes! I start clinicals this fall. Anyone done clinicals with a nursling at home? I'm worried about having time to pump.

ishereal likes this.

#77 of 122 Old 05-31-2011, 02:43 PM

Hello everyone!
I am neither a pre-nursing student anymore or a nursing student yet! I spent 2.5 years doing prereqs to get into a BSN program but can not afford it so I will be starting a ADN RN program this September. Over the year of prereq work I have lost my motivation to become a nurse now that I've gotten into school, lol. I want to be  midwife (I'm sure some of you are interested in this specialty too). I would much rather be a Chiro or a Naturopath but I've all ready made it this far I should just see it through! I am currently a CNA and am looking for a job right now. Is anyone working as a CNA while doing prereqs or in nursing school? Is anyone here on the forum allnurses?

Cheers

be good family...

#78 of 122 Old 06-15-2011, 09:24 PM

I am a new nurse grad (May 6th) with ten years experience working as a CNA, I am also a professionally trained Doula...I worked when I could, school and my desire to do well made working difficult oh yes and the four kiddos jumpers.gif, I am starting the accelerated BSN program at my school in August.  I am also taking an EKG theory class this summer to bolster my understanding of cardiac A&P and to bolster my resume...the nursing job market is super competitive and super tight (can someone tell me where that mystical land is that GN's are able to get experience?)  it has been frustrating...I remain hopeful and patient (mostly) 

Nursing student, (LAST SEMESTER!!!)Cloth diapering, cosleeping, breastfeeding mama to 4!!!
#79 of 122 Old 06-18-2011, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi! I'm hoping to be starting a BSN program this fall. There aren't a lot of prerequisites and I have two AAS degrees already, so those are taken care of. I'm a CMA and I'm really hoping that the credits from that will transfer. If they do, it will cut a whole year off my program and It will only take me two years to get my BSN. After that, I'm going to take about a year off and pay down my student loans, then apply to grad school to be a CNM. Frontier would be my dream school. I've heard nothing but amazing things about it.

I'm really nervous about starting. I'm not the greatest at studying (I've never much needed to) and I'm terrified of screwing up and failing out. I've heard nursing school is crazy hard.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#80 of 122 Old 07-12-2011, 08:57 PM

How's everyone doing? I am working  away at a few prereqs this summer. I am also thinking of adding one the straighterline. I would like to get English done as fast as possible so I may try them out and see if I can do it in about 3 weeks before I go on vacation. What is everyone working on? :)

"If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing."
~Agnes Sallet Von Tannenberg
#81 of 122 Old 07-12-2011, 08:59 PM

My edit wont work :( That should say with Straighterline not the straighterline..

"If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing."
~Agnes Sallet Von Tannenberg
#82 of 122 Old 07-13-2011, 10:37 AM

I'm doing ok. I passed chem with only a 2.3 through and am going to have to retake for entry into the RN program. I was pretty disappointed. I am in microbiology right now and LOVE it! I wish I were on a semester system though, I hate having all this info condensed into 8 weeks. I want more time to get deeper into the info. It's so interesting. Having a REALLY hard time with study time. My oldest dd is already watching my younger 3 kiddos 3x a week for my class, having her watch them even more would be too much. I am going to start getting up at 6 so I have *quiet* uninterrupted time. I don't know how people do this while working or with tiny babies. I am only going part time and feel overwhelmed.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#83 of 122 Old 07-14-2011, 04:27 PM

I am currently in Summer 3 taking A&P2 lecture and lab... I took Statistics and Govt 1 during Summer 2 got A's in both, those two classes raised my gpa to a 3.7 (super excited) I will be done with pre-req's after this Fall and I apply to the program in Feb... I will take the TEAS V in December or January...

hola.gif
#84 of 122 Old 07-14-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolick16 View Post

the nursing job market is super competitive and super tight (can someone tell me where that mystical land is that GN's are able to get experience?)  it has been frustrating...I remain hopeful and patient (mostly) 

Indiana. All of the grads from the March class of 2011 at my school have jobs. And they've got ASNs. I hope that holds true for when I graduate! 

Right now, I'm gearing up to start clinicals this fall - that means two years until graduation. The vaxes and background checks and drug tests and CPR classes and supply-buying are A LOT to keep track of! 

#85 of 122 Old 07-14-2011, 09:23 PM

At 9 tomorrow morning, I have an appointment to officially enroll in a BSN program! I'm totally terrified that I won't be able to hack it, plus I'm freaked out about managing work and school with a baby plus paying for books and supplies (we're dead broke right now). We'll make it work somehow.

Fingers crossed that all my credits transfer!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#86 of 122 Old 07-23-2011, 04:51 PM

I took the NCLEX yesterday, the test stopped at 75!  Peliminary results say passed!  I have a feeling taking and passing the NCLEX will be easier than getting a job!  I have been forcing my step-father to approach the DON's of the hospitals he works at to land me interviews.  What I am finding out is that just because a position is advertised does not mean the hours actually exist.  By law facilities have to interview for jobs every so often...so, I am taking the EKG theory course, starting the accelerated BSN program in August, volunteering at a hospital and doing ACLS, and CPR in hopes of boosting my resume, poor, educated, and trying to keep the faith!  Best wishes to everyone and their journey, Frolick16, RN!

USAmma likes this.

Nursing student, (LAST SEMESTER!!!)Cloth diapering, cosleeping, breastfeeding mama to 4!!!
#87 of 122 Old 07-23-2011, 09:54 PM

I'm glad to hear everyone out there is doing so well. Congrats especially to those of you who are in BSN programs! I wish I could afford that route but my state (WA Working Connections Child Care) won't pay for daycare assistance for anything at a University so there is no way I could afford a BSN program with two kids in daycare. However they will pay for one year of daycare so for the first year of my ASN-RN program I will not have to worry about that:) Are there any specific programs or ways to get daycare funding for single mom/student nurses?

I have my orientation on August 1 and will have to pay for daycare out of pocket that day, as well as a train ticket to go to the town since it's a few hours away from me. I plan on house hunting after the orientation while the kiddos are still in daycare. Has anyone else moved to go to nursing school?

I'm looking forward to getting to know more of you mamas better as I become a real nursing student in September! Is there anyone from WA on here?

Be love

be good family...

#88 of 122 Old 07-25-2011, 12:14 PM

I'd like to join in. smile.gif I can get free tuition at my dh's college, but I will not be attending there. I have 110 credit hours in pre-med and am a National Honors student. The nursing program here is terrible and the hours do not work for me. So I'm going to finish my B.A./B.S. through Oregon State and then do a Direct Entry program for my B.S.N. once we (hopefully!) move in a year or more. I hope to become a midwife eventually. I figure I can pace myself so that my older kids or mother can help out once I get to that point and that way I'm around when they're little more. Once we get tax returns next year, I hope to do my breastfeeding counselor certification and maybe work on becoming a doula in a couple of years.

I have a background working med/surg, ER/ psych, and skilled nursing as a CNA and EMT. I also was a phlebotomist and ART/Andrologist before we moved far away from my job and I decided to SAH. My qualifications are all expired, but I miss it every time I go to a hospital. In some ways, at least. wink1.gif I wanted to become a Neonatologist or a Midwife, but I have finally decided on Midwife. Eventually.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#89 of 122 Old 07-26-2011, 12:29 AM

I'm a pre-nursing student :) I'm going for my BSN then hopefully working for a couple years can apprentice with a midwife or go back to school to get my Masters in nursing and work as a NP.  I want to work in L&D, but got to admit, the ER would fascinate me as well, but don't think I have the passion for that quite as well as I do for births.

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#90 of 122 Old 07-26-2011, 07:36 PM

I'm so glad to find this thread!  I've been on allnurses.com, but haven't found a group like you guys that have a lot of the same life situations as I do.

I'm about to start the second semester of my four semester ADN program.  My prerequisites are all done, I chipped away at them over a couple of years before applying to nursing school.  My kids are 7, 4 and 18 months.  They're mostly home with dh while I'm in school.  He works weekends and evenings. 

First semester was pretty challenging for me.   Not the classroom stuff, that was no problem, but clinicals pretty much kicked my butt.  I've never spent much time in hospitals or around sick people so it was hard emotionally for me to be there.  I hope it gets better this semester.  Plus I felt like my attentions were so split between being a student and being a mother.  I felt like I was just doing a mediocre job with each one. 

I do feel good about the learning I am doing, though, and the potential to have meaningful work eventually.  I'll probably get a job in med-surg or something similar after graduation (job outlook is still pretty good in this area) to get that experience but I'd like to eventually either go into public health or home health or go on to get my masters to become a NP or CNM.

Anyway, it's nice to meet you all!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page