Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-14-2011, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone here do this?

Do you enjoy it?

What do you do?

I schooled at home and recently graduated from a professional medical transcription course. Every day since completion I have been online filling out applications, taking pre-employment assesments and sending every transcription company I can find my cover letter, resume and two sample reports. I can not find a company willing to hire an entry level medical transcriptionist. It seemed like such an amazing opportunity, now it feels like I have wasted precious money, resources and time on an unattainable goal. Some of the medical transcription forums I have joined even have multiple posts by experienced MTs ridiculing any newbies who come into this field with the anticipation of working at home. I am posting this thread, hoping to hear from a few strong, determined mama's who are able to work at home and are thriving there. However, I am open to hearing any experiences you are willing to share.

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#2 of 10 Old 02-14-2011, 04:16 PM

I work from home, and I love it.  I'm not doing MT.  I started a sales and marketing consulting company in my field and I work with very small companies.  Work from home opportunities are really tough to find,  but at least you're qualified.  For me, it always works to go off the beaten path when I look for work and winnow out my own opportunities.

basje likes this.
#3 of 10 Old 02-16-2011, 08:18 PM

Dh and I work together from home, so we are especially crazy, lol. He's been working from home for years as an animator and motion graphics guy. I am a graphic designer, and was the "stable" one with insurance and all until we had kids, and even then I worked part-time outside the home. Recently, dh just started getting more and more big projects in... and one of my former colleagues connected and asked me if I would do some over her overflow work. Since I get the benefit of working part-time when and where I please (which often ends up being at about midnight, like tonight, ugh!) I offer to do some work for her at a somewhat reduced rate, though it is still better than if I were to go and get a part time retail position. She gets help, I get well paid work.. the kids have a new nanny who started this week. When ds gets sad and wants to nurse or come and just get a hug, he crawls right over to my computer, gets a smooch, and then the nanny comes right over with a big smile and arms outstretched, and he happily goes right back to whatever he was doing. It is crazy... my housework is often neglected on project due days... it can be chaotic (like today, when ds was getting over a stomach bug and was really whiney, so nanny took him for a walk so I could get a little peace and quiet) and we definitely aren't rich. If dh and I worked in NYC together, we'd have loads more money. Instead, we've set our sights on the riches around us, made ourselves happy with a tiny house in the suburbs and one little car... and decided to enjoy the family-centered lives we've created for ourselves. It works for us, and I love it, but we have sacrificed a lot.

I would say determination, a positive attitude, and a never-give-up mindset will serve you well. If working from home is what you want, then tell yourself you will settle for nothing less. Set your sights on it and keep going until you get there, one way or another :) Good luck!

Mom to Delia  (5/25/07) and Alex  (4/10/10) and 2 spoiled kitties
#4 of 10 Old 02-16-2011, 08:46 PM

I do work from home part time. I love it, now!

I started my job a month before my son was born, worked up to my due date, then was back at it when he was two weeks old; that was rough.

I work as a breastfeeding support counselor from a cell phone--I sometimes take my binder with me and do calls while dd plays at the park or when we're out running errands or picking up dh or whatever.

I am finally getting enough hours now to where I feel like it's worth my time and not just sucking life away from my family. The biggest challenge for me is ignoring all the housework and sitting down to clock in on my timesheet. That has been hard for me, but I'm letting it go and realizing that if I want to make this money, then something's gotta give coz my plate is too full to do all the housework, too.

Fwiw, my MIL did MT from home for a while, and it was legit.

Good luck; I hope it works for you! Keep your chin up, and education is never a waste!

Happy and in love with my family!
#5 of 10 Old 02-19-2011, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

just have a second (because I have to get to work:) but I do MT from home, so it is possible!  Keep sending out resumes, it will happen even if it takes a while. I don't make a ton of money, but have been working for almost two years now.  I got hired about a month after I graduated, but part of that was just luck.  PM me if you want the name of a couple companies to try who hire newbies.

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#6 of 10 Old 03-02-2011, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I have worked at home for the past 10 years as a translator. I love the work and the flexibility, but sometimes when I have too much work (but still feel compelled to accept it for financial reasons) or feel too isolated, it definitely has its ups and downs. Both kids are school-age now, so I get a little variety in the routine dropping them off, picking them up, and doing a babysitting trade with a friend who also has his own business. Luckily, work is usually steady, and certain times of the year are busier than others. I think it's important to network, and as one of the posters above mentioned, maybe you can get a foot in the door taking someone else's overflow work (if it's on a freelance basis). Good luck!

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#7 of 10 Old 03-09-2011, 11:44 AM

Baby Braatens Mama- I was in your DDC and it is nice to see a familiar name!  I was just thinking this morning that I can't believe we are going on six months already! 

I have worked at home doing medical transcription since my oldest son was two months old- he is now 6.5.   I did have previous in-office experience when I got my job at a local internist's office.  I previously worked about 20-30 hours a week doing their transcription, which also included picking up/dropping off once a day.  I found the job by answering an ad in our local newspaper.  When I had our most recent baby (our third) I quit that job and took another MT position with an office that does everything online, hoping to not have to drive three kids to an office daily.  Unfortunately, this position is not working out- they don't have enough work for me.  Greenemami- would you mind if I PMed you about the transcription companies you know of?  I sure could use another source of work right now!  Like I said, I have about 8 years of experience.

Anyway, it is tricky to work at home with little ones and sometimes I wonder if it is worth it, but I have been able to exclusively breastfeed all three of my boys (no bottles at all!) and when they need me I am here.  I rotate them through "activities" during the day.  For the baby, he lays on the floor for play time, sits in his swing, and now that he is getting bigger, has time in his high chair.  I play music for him and rarely videos if I am in a pinch.  My three year old plays, does art projects or crafts, or sits beside me and "works", too.  I get a lot of help from my mom, who entertains the kids in my home quite a bit.  I work between 9am and 3pm (drop off and pick up times for my oldest son).  Housework is relegated to the evenings. 

It is hard work, but possible.  Good luck with your search and try looking locally.  The first office that hired me just let me "try out" the job with no experience and it worked for both of us.

#8 of 10 Old 03-09-2011, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

It's nice to see you gals!  Thank you all for your responses!  Green, I will definitely be pming you!  I have found sort of a middle ground with Elance.  I set up a page there and started bidding any and all jobs I think I am capable of.  In the two weeks I have been there I have secured 5 jobs, 4 of which were general transcription.  I may not get rich there, but my Elance account has become financially set for a year through the earnings I have made.  My plan is to let the money for the year sit in escrow and if it runs out I will cancel my account.  It will help until I can get that MT at home job I have been dreaming of.

"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bank balance smaller, home happier, clothes dirty, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." ~A.U.
#9 of 10 Old 03-15-2011, 10:57 AM

I work from home and love it. I'm a freelance editor and am lucky enough to be working a couple of long-term contracts. What I like less, however, is that I'm obligated under one of my contracts to work a minimum of 20 hours a week, so I've had to put my daughters in daycare in order to meet that requirement (the other contract has no such obligation).

It's not a get-rich-quick job by any means, but I enjoy it.

Keep at it; if working from home is truly what you want, don't settle for less!

Good luck! I hope you keep us updated.

#10 of 10 Old 03-27-2011, 11:43 PM

First off Braatens~Mama, Congrats for finishing that training!! I tried it and was just not able to do it!

I just moved to New Mexico from Kansas, and I am a full time online student (almost done with my BA yyaaaayyyyy). Anyways, we have two little girls (28 months and 4 months) so I have decided to work at home rather then be away from them aaaalllll day! (I don't think I could stand that....)

There are lots of great suggestions on this thread by the way! Elance is great, and I have done a little work through them. Etsy is also great if you have little crafts you can sell. =] I prefer Etsy to Ebay (feels more... sincere?)

Anyways, I signed up for Scentsy (a lead/smoke/soot/fire free candle as well as many other things) And I love it... It allows me to throw parties, socialize, and make my own hours...

It is a multi-level marketing company, but it is very cheap to become a part of them and you only have to sell $150 every three months to stay in... I started about 2 months ago now and have made $600. It isn't like AMAZING money, but it certainly is a nice chunck of change. =]

I think when it comes to these kinds of companies, you just need to find on that has something you can get really excited about. =D

Anyways, keep up the great work!!! Glad I found this site. =]

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page