If you WOH, what did your mom do? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 02-14-2011, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Just curious, but I think about this a lot as it gives me some guilt. My mom stayed home to raise us. She was awesome, and it's been a struggle to give up that "ideal" since it's how I was raised. I often find myself comparing myself to her and thinking about the experiences I might not share with my DS. (I also worry that I'm A LOT like my slightly-workaholic father, who was always just nearly missing cherished activities...)

However, I also know that she really, really struggled (and continues to struggle) to find herself after all the kids moved out. And so on the flip side that has, in part, pushed me to foster my own identity and career during motherhood. I know that it was really important for her to be able to stay home to raise us (it's what she always wanted to do -- she was a SAHM who really loved what she was doing) so it really pains me to see her sometimes struggling to recover her sense of identity (though happily, grandmother is a role she's slipped into easily!).

I'd be curious to hear other people's experiences... How has your own mother influenced your feelings about motherhood & career?

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#2 of 44 Old 02-14-2011, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Somewhat.

My mom always worked.  Alot.  I remember distinctly being the first kid at preschool every morning and the last kid every evening.  Many nights I fell asleep on the floor in her office after she'd picked me up at daycare and gone back to work.  She still works basically the same amount.

I make sure my kids are never at daycare as long as they possibly can be.  I don't bring work home or spend extra time there (I know I'm lucky that I don't have to, but it's also a decision I made too). 

I never had an issue with my mom working.  She was always able to leave and see all of my activities, doctor's appts, stuff like that.  That daycare thing though really bothered me. 

#3 of 44 Old 02-14-2011, 12:46 PM
A&A

My mom was a miserable SAHM who never felt like she had a dime to her name.  Yeah, that probably influenced me being a WOHM somewhat.

One_Girl likes this.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#4 of 44 Old 02-14-2011, 12:47 PM

Procrastinating?  Me too!!  winky.gif

My mom stayed home until we were in school, then WAH until we were in the upper elementary grades, and then WOH full time.  She still does.

I think WOH is really ideal for me b/c it gives me an identity other than as a "mom" which is important for me.  I also have absolutely no clue what I would do after my kid grows up and leaves the house if I stayed home.  I want a career after my kids leave the house.  I want a LIFE - one that doesn't revolve around them.  I know that SAHM's can achieve that, but not without a significant amount of effort, and I'm not a social person by any stretch of the imagination, so I really need outside influences to force me to create relationships outside my immediate family.

I mean, what do people do after their kids move out?  Both my parents work, and they have hobbies (dad flies, mom sails - they do both together but my mom isn't a pilot so she rides along), so they're pretty busy when us kids aren't home (none of us live at home anymore).  But what would they do if they hadn't both worked and didn't have careers?  I honestly don't know.  I guess they could start looking for a career, but thats difficult in middle age, going back to school would be hard unless they had the money to afford it, neither of them would be happy having a "job" and not a "career".  I don't know.  I know my mom enjoyed being home when my older brother and I were very little, but it was also completely a financial waste for her to work - I think she netted like $10/week after daycare expenses (we're 6mo apart b/c big brother was adopted).

I don't know, I guess I think I liked that my mom wasn't SAH b/c she had other things going on - she wasn't so focused on me and my brothers.  I mean, she WAS focused on us, she's a GREAT mom, but we also had the opportunity to learn how to be independent with some limitations.  Like, she worked some evenings, and so we had to take the bus to some activities once we were teens.  Or, when I had soccer with my brother after school we took the bus home together. 

We weren't entirely left to our own devices though - my dad would sometimes drive one way, or pick us up if we were working late, my dad drove me to crew at 4:30am every day when I did crew in high school.  I don't know, some of the SAHM's that I knew growing up were too........something.  Not quite sure what.  Ok, I'm going to stop while I'm ahead.  t2009 - sorry if that made no sense.  Since we're both studying for the danged bar exam I'm sure you understand that my brains aren't fully functional atm.

#5 of 44 Old 02-14-2011, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My mom WOH full-time when I was younger (I don't think part-time was an option in her field at that time) and I always assumed I would do the same.  I don't remember ever having any kind of issue with it and I certainly didn't feel that she wasn't around enough or anything like that.  I did notice, when I got a bit older, that she was pretty tired for a while.  Things got much better for her when she started her own WAH business when I was a bit older.  I didn't feel like having her home more was such a big deal for me (it was nice but not huge) but I did see that life was much easier for her, and that made her a better and happier mom.

That said, I always assumed I would be a working mom; that was my template and now I feel pressure from both my parents (dad more than mom though) to keep up with my career even though I have a very young child.  Right now I WOH full time but DD is not handling day care at all well (she was home with various combinations of me, nanny, and MIL - mostly MIL - until 18 months) and I am seriously considering going back to part time because I feel it is just too much of a cost to ask her to bear to support my career goals.  I get raised eyebrows from my parents when I say stuff like this though - they feel like day care is not only dandy but crucial for social development.  I agree that the contact with other kids is good but I think 3 hours a day would be fine.  8 hours is just stressful.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#6 of 44 Old 02-14-2011, 01:43 PM

Can I come procrastinate too?

My mom was a single mom, my "dad" and my bro's dad nowhere in the picture, not even to pay any support. She worked her hiney off and we were still dirt poor, on food stamps. It still gives me a little thrill to fill up the gas tank--we never put in more than $5 at a time growing up.

She was a nurse so she was able to work around my school hours, she worked a lot of night shifts too. But I did come home to an empty house pretty regularly in high school. Of course by then I had an after school job and was working too.

Does my upbringing influence my desire to WOH? Probably... I trust DH with my life but I'm glad I make my own money and could support my family if I ever had to.

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
#7 of 44 Old 02-14-2011, 02:02 PM

My mom WOH full time for my entire childhood.  She went back to work when I was six weeks old (no FMLA back then).  My older sister was in school and we had a nanny who took care of me during the day until first grade, then my sister was in charge for the few hours we were home after school.

As a kid, I never questioned it.  That was just my life.  I think the fact that I got to stay in my own home helped with that.

As an adult, I have conflicting feelings about it.  Nannies are expensive; my mom made decent money but I can't believe she was coming out that far ahead every month.  I think she worked more because she wanted to, not because she needed to.  Sometimes I wonder why she didn't want to be at home with me and that stings a little bit.  And sometimes I'm really proud of her for being so pioneering - she was the first woman in her company to go back to work after having a child, that takes guts.  But she was home at 5:15 on the dot, never worked late, never worked weekends, came to all my school plays, doctor's appointments, etc.

Now that I am a mom I am comforted by the fact that I came out of it okay, that I don't feel abandoned or damaged or anything like that.  Heck by the time I was school aged it was fun!  My sister let me do whatever I wanted, lol (indoor water fight anyone?).  But there are a few things I'd do differently, namely take a day off here or there to chaperone a school field trip or be a room mom or something (my mom never did that) and to be absolutely vigilant about being present during the times I am home.  My mom was ok at that but I definitely remember being 12 and chattering away to her telling her everything that was happening at school and realizing she was only half listening to me, she was playing computer solitaire.  I know she probably just wanted to mentally unwind and that was why, not that she didn't care about my day but it really made an impression on me (and that also marked the time I stopped telling her absolutely everything, which is a little sad).

So in summary, my mother has made me feel okay about working, and admitting that part of it is that I want to and not just that I need to... and there are little things I would do differently, but overall she did the very best she could and what more can you ask of anyone?

Mumma to DS July 2010 and expecting another baby boy late July 2012 belly.gif

#8 of 44 Old 02-14-2011, 02:16 PM

I'm joining ya'll on procrastination island... well while I wait for this humongous report to generate & export...waiting ... waiting winky.gif

My mom - a SAHM while we were little, and then went back PT when my brother (the youngest) started school f/t.  She worked before we were born in clerical areas and I know she loves accounting stuff (she should have studied it and I encourage her to go back and pick it up!!).  Now she's a WOHM/Gran-ma doing 2nd shift factory work.

My mom had some impact on my idea of motherhood BUT the bigger impact has been the impact of my dad getting laid off from many different jobs and our moving around alot.  I am more focused on keeping a secure financial future for my family, and maintaining a balance between work & family mostly for DH since his dad was the typical workaholic.

I don't want to be that and so out of touch with my kids... ever

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#9 of 44 Old 02-15-2011, 05:31 AM

When I was living at home, my mom worked as an ER nurse. She became the director of nursing at a hospital when I was in college. She's a workaholic. Right now she easily works 12-hour days, 7-days a week for weeks at a time. 

My mother loves her work, and she's incredibly good at it. I always wanted that sense of professionalism & respect, and I never considered that I wouldn't work. At it turns out, I worked from home for a long time, which wasn't the best fit but worked for our circumstances. The idea of *not* working just isn't appealing to me at all. Identity, for me, is wrapped up with career.

On the other side, DH's mother stayed home & did all of those happy, SAHM things. DH doesn't feel he benefited and in fact wishes his mom had just worked instead. He said that he felt she was too focused on "creating a home" and less on just being "Mom" that it became overwhelming.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#10 of 44 Old 02-15-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post

My mom was a miserable SAHM who never felt like she had a dime to her name.  Yeah, that probably influenced me being a WOHM somewhat.

Same here. My Mom was a SAHM for the bulk of my childhood never really working until I was well in my teens. Frankly she was not that happy, her marriage was rocky and bordeline abusive at times but due to not having any skills/income she stayed, and despite putting on the happy face it was clear she was not happy. Our family was always on the financial edge and frankly that influenced me  a great deal, my first marriage crashed and burned and by the time I remarried I pretty much knew that I would work. I went back to school and started on a career path and while I don't currently earn a great deal due to choosing positions that offer flexibility, I am still on a clear career track.

So I guess yes my Mom did influence me, especially because she died relatively young at 50, just as she was finally done raising kids (she died a year after my brother graduated from college) and was just starting a real career earning real money.

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#11 of 44 Old 02-15-2011, 06:21 AM

My mom retired from nursing the day I was born. And she doesn't particularly care for kids, she was just having her 2.2. We were fed, clothed and she went to open houses and band concerts. But we never got messy, grew anything or even went for walks on the beach in the winter. So much more bleak than even my kids existance with me working.
#12 of 44 Old 02-15-2011, 05:50 PM

My mom was an active duty officer in Air Force intelligence when I was born.  At the time, you had to get out once you were pregnant/had a baby, so she did.  She was a SAHM for most of my childhood but joined the reserves when I was in third or fourth grade.  That commitment required one weekend a month and two weeks a year except when she was called to active duty for war (Desert Storm, anyone?).  My dad was in the Air Force as well so depending on where he was stationed, sometimes she could do her work at the same base and sometimes she had to travel for her two week stint.

Growing up, I never NEVER imagined I'd work.  I went to a crazy high school in northern Virginia for science and technology where the expectation was that 1. you'd go to college and 2. you'd study engineering, medicine, law, or the like.  I loved high school but still never imagined I'd work.  Went to college, was premed, h-a-t-e-d chemistry and discovered I could study recreation (needless to say, my high school never mentioned that that was a field that you could study).  Went right to grad school because I hadn't the first clue how to find a job.  Finished and started working for a university.

Worked for a few years, got married, and we moved to our current community because I could SAH.  Had twins and discovered that I am not cut out to SAH and went a tad crazy.  I did not want to put my young children in childcare and once a job literally fell in my lap, they were 3.5 and I felt much better about them going.

It's worked out to be pretty perfect.  I work like a fiend but love it.  I literally have the job I wanted from the day I realized I could study recreation and there is huge future potential for me with my organization.  It's hard because my husband is the executive director of a small non-profit so we both have demanding jobs and wacky schedules but as I realize that we're 1/3 of the way through our children's childhood, I'm glad I made the leap and took my job because I foresee working for 20-30 more years and would not want to be 12 years from now looking for something for the next 8-18 years with no experience to stand on.

This has turned into a book but most of my LLL friends don't understand at. all.  My mother was always very busy during my childhood (super volunteer) and I'm not sure if she didn't work because we moved fairly regularly or because she was dedicated to being a SAHM.  My own severe lack of patience is what's influenced my decision to work. 

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your stories!

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#13 of 44 Old 02-15-2011, 07:31 PM

My mom was a teacher and she went back to work when I was 3.  I started nursery school/daycare at that age.  My mom was in grad school at the time and my dad also worked a lot and was finishing his bachelors.  It was nice that she was a teacher because once I was in school we had the same holidays and summers off.  So I guess she did influence me because she was able to balance work and family. 

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#14 of 44 Old 02-15-2011, 10:16 PM

My mom was a SAHM and loved it--she is a born mama.  She held a couple of part-time jobs when my younger sibling got to high school/college, but not for any length of time.  Just decided it wasn't for her.  She is almost an empty-nester now (my little bro that just graduated college still living at home), and I imagine having the place "empty" will be a big deal for her.  She is SO excited to be a grandmother, first to my daughter, and now my brother & his wife are going to have another.  She has drummed into my psyche since before I can remember that a mommy's most important job is to stay and home and educate her children, so I felt a lot of guilt about telling her that I would be WOH.  She can't say too much, because my DH stays home with our daughter right now, but I know she thinks that I should be a SAHM.

Tired mama to my wild childenergy.gif ribbluyel.gif

#15 of 44 Old 02-16-2011, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

Thanks for all the stories (and keep 'em coming!)! It's so interesting to hear everyone's background -- so different, yet here we all are on the same MDC forum! It's actually all super refreshing & comforting to hear that all the smart ladies on here who are also great mamas came from such different circumstances growing up... There's hope that our kids will be ok even if we pursue careers & sometimes (or all the times) have crazy schedules & lives. It's easy to get stuck in or own histories or mainstream/media driven images of motherhood... but really there are so many paths to raising happy little people. I love my mom & she was a great SAHM (like BeautyforAshes's mom, she was born to be a mom) but I'm getting more comfortable with the idea that it's OK that I do things different... Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

Totally procrastinating! 

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#16 of 44 Old 02-17-2011, 07:20 AM

These stories are all so interesting! My mom was a SAHM to me and my sister, though she did teach piano to kids out of the home a few days a week after school. She gave up being a music teacher when she married, and I think she was always a little sad about that. Plus my dad worked so much that we hardly ever saw him so she did everything, which led to a lot of fights and resentment on her part that we felt. So that influenced me a lot and I grew up knowing that I would work because I didn't want to feel how my mom felt (I know that there are happy SAHMs, my mom just wasn't).

Mom to DS born 6/09 and DS2 born 6/12

#17 of 44 Old 02-17-2011, 10:43 AM

My mom cycled through working and staying home a few times during our childhood. But she always seemed happiest working, as opposed to the couch potato when she was unemployed.

I am not sure how much my parents have influenced my parenting besides what not to do.

I work because, I make twice as much as DH. I work so I don't go insane. I work because I am paying my way slowly through college. And I work so I can provide my son fun stuff like swim lessons & farm camp. We are happy and our life works for us.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#18 of 44 Old 02-17-2011, 01:12 PM

My mom worked 3 days per week until I was about 5.  Then she went to 4 days, and worked that until my brother and I were in high school.  My dad always worked FT, but it was flexible, and he did a lot of child care/transportation/cooking.  They lived paycheck to paycheck, but we did LOTS.

Funny part is, I blame my mom for my career choice.  She was a secretary at a big firm (wc.com --think Lewinsky trial), and always got gifts from her attorney that awed me.  Trips to NYC for the family to stay in his condo and to see broadway shows each year. Theater tickets, opera tickets, etc. I LOVED the lifestyle as a teenager and ended up becoming a lawyer.  Not the WORST choice I've ever made, but I'm definitely regretting it now that I want to SAH and can't because of my student loans.  Oh well, such is life, right?!

S~S~M and t2009, you two ignore that part and get back to work!

#19 of 44 Old 02-18-2011, 12:13 PM

My mom was SAH until my brother (7 years younger than me) went to college.  Back in those days, there wasn't the term "SAHM."  The general culture revolved around the dad that worked and the mom who stayed at home and kept house.  Housewife or homemaker was always a term I heard.  I think I was born in the era when this was particularly common (1950s through 1970s).  My grandmothers/great grandmothers all worked in some respect, whether it was co-owning a store or in the case of one of my greatgrandmothers (a funeral home) or they worked hard on farms. 

Even though my mom was home, I can't say that she SAHM'ed in the way that I see the term used now.  Her first priority was the house.  She never played with us, never helped us with our homework, never took us anywhere for the sake of it (except to sports/music practice, etc.). 

That being said, she was a good mother and we love her.  However, I don't think her staying at home had any bearing on the decisions that I made with my life.  My own personal interests dictated the outcome of my present life.   Part of it too was that I really needed to be free of both my parents (not because I don't love them, but because our views on life are very different, and this started before I was even ten years old).  Often at home, I felt very stifled and oppressed.  Both my parents were a bit overbearing and had no patience for opinions differing from their own.  If anything, I decided very early to be as independent an individual as I could be - and part of that meant not relying on anyone for anything.  Even though I am now a mother myself, I still have the same view on this.  It is just who I am, I suppose.  So, my position as a WOHM has nothing really to do with a reaction to my SAHM, but is mostly a reaction to both parents and wanting to be independent. 

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#20 of 44 Old 02-18-2011, 12:20 PM

My mother and her husband took turns SAH.  when she did work she did a variety of things, cashier, waitress, seamstress, cna etc.  My ex and I also took turns SAH and DH SAH right now.  I prefer working and having him home than the other way around. 

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#21 of 44 Old 02-19-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsCradle View Post

My mom was SAH until my brother (7 years younger than me) went to college.  Back in those days, there wasn't the term "SAHM."  The general culture revolved around the dad that worked and the mom who stayed at home and kept house.  Housewife or homemaker was always a term I heard.  I think I was born in the era when this was particularly common (1950s through 1970s).  My grandmothers/great grandmothers all worked in some respect, whether it was co-owning a store or in the case of one of my greatgrandmothers (a funeral home) or they worked hard on farms. 

Even though my mom was home, I can't say that she SAHM'ed in the way that I see the term used now.  Her first priority was the house.  She never played with us, never helped us with our homework, never took us anywhere for the sake of it (except to sports/music practice, etc.). 

That being said, she was a good mother and we love her.  However, I don't think her staying at home had any bearing on the decisions that I made with my life.  My own personal interests dictated the outcome of my present life.   Part of it too was that I really needed to be free of both my parents (not because I don't love them, but because our views on life are very different, and this started before I was even ten years old).  Often at home, I felt very stifled and oppressed.  Both my parents were a bit overbearing and had no patience for opinions differing from their own.  If anything, I decided very early to be as independent an individual as I could be - and part of that meant not relying on anyone for anything.  Even though I am now a mother myself, I still have the same view on this.  It is just who I am, I suppose.  So, my position as a WOHM has nothing really to do with a reaction to my SAHM, but is mostly a reaction to both parents and wanting to be independent. 

I can really relate to this, my Mom was home but rarely did we play together, etc or do much what today's SAHM does.

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#22 of 44 Old 02-22-2011, 08:07 AM

My Mom SAH, but my Dad worked like a fiend, made excellent money and was the bad kind of co-dependent. Like he came home everyday for lunch and a nap and she was supposed to have lunch ready to go, or he'd leave, do something stupid (like mouth off to the chief medical officer) and blame it on her.  She remembers small children as one of the best times of her life. And when I was in 6th grade, he left her and had a mental breakdown. She had to reinvent herself.  Got an MBA, and has had a horrible, boring, career experience.  Because of that she totally supports my aspirations. My desire for a strong career, family, "having it all."

So I like my second identity I have outside my home.  I love my daughter and I think that it helps that my DH is a superior parent.  He gets kids, and will likely SAH after I finish school.  My girl is a total party, but a part of staying at home is tedious, mind numbing and boring.  I think sometimes we put SAH on a pedestal, when maybe we should really put part time OH work on the pedestal.  But, most of us are Americans, so its black or white. But I will likely work the rest of my life, and as long as I make it to Greece one of these years, thats OK. 

Due January 23rd with my
Missing Asa James, born into this world 11-17-08 and into the next 12-25-08
#23 of 44 Old 02-22-2011, 08:36 AM

You know, I don't think I could pidgeon hole myself or my mother into any one catagory of SAHM or WAH or WOH or whatever. 

When I was born, my mom had been working at a bank as a teller, and didn't return after maternity leave.  I am the oldest of 4 kids, we were all born within 7 years.  Within those 7 years, my family moved 4 times.  My mom did not get a WOH job at all during that time...I can't imagine how she would have, she was always either moving, pg or post partum.  All the moves were due to my dad's job, transfers and hanger closings (he is an aircraft mechanic, not in the military.)  I do recall, while I was in elementary school, she did various "home party" type of things-tupperware, something called http://www.trichem.com/, a couple of other things.  She also did various volunteer things, and school stuff-things like working in the school cafeteria, girl scout leader, etc, some paid, some not.  Once I got to be in probably middle school, she started working for a market research company doing data collection (with UPC, not phone surveys lol) She did that for a good 8 to 10 years, I think, then she started working part time at a bank as a teller (how's that for circling back lol)  And now, my youngest sibling is finally out for good, my mom and sister own their own cake shop, it's been open about two years now.

My story is pretty similar.  I had my oldest when I was still a senior in high school.  For her first four years, I was in school full time and working part time.  Then, I began teaching full time, but I didn't teach long.  I did work full time for a large portion of her life, about 2.5 years ago, I quit working full time.  I tried to SAH but we couldn't make it financially.  I tried WAH only, but I wasn't bringing in enough money.  SO, right now, I work VERY VERY part time, 15 hrs a week or less, I also have 2 of my own WAH businesses, both do require some time away from home occasionally, sometimes with the two little ones (2 and 5 months) and sometimes not.  My teen usually does come with me as an assistant when I work those. 

Often, SAH, WAH, or WOH are discussed as if there's only one option.  There's a lot of grey area there.  It's very much possible to do all three at some point through your kids childhoods.

#24 of 44 Old 02-22-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
  want a LIFE - one that doesn't revolve around them.  I know that SAHM's can achieve that, but not without a significant amount of effort, and I'm not a social person by any stretch of the imagination, so I really need outside influences to force me to create relationships outside my immediate family.

I mean, what do people do after their kids move out?  Both my parents work, and they have hobbies (dad flies, mom sails - they do both together but my mom isn't a pilot so she rides along), so they're pretty busy when us kids aren't home (none of us live at home anymore).  But what would they do if they hadn't both worked and didn't have careers?  I honestly don't know. 

I find this mindset interesting.

I don't know if I would qualify as SAH, WAH, or WOH, I kinda do all three I guess.  But I would say that I have a LIFE outside my kids...but it has NOTHING to do with my job.  I don't in any way socialize with the people I work with. 

What do people do after their kids move out?  Probably much of the same stuff they do when they retire.  Hang out with grandkids, garden, get a pilots license, start their own business, write a book, craft, play bingo, etc etc etc.  There's plenty of life to be had without a career, and there's plenty of career to be had after kids.  Or outside a career.

#25 of 44 Old 02-24-2011, 09:29 AM

My mom wanted to be a doctor and got into a competitive programme...but she needed financial support from her parents and her father didn't believe it was worth educating a woman who was just going to have babies, so that discouraged her. She became a teacher but only taught part time for two terms after I was born (when I was 4, before my sister was born) and was mostly a SAHM.

I put all that as background because...she was driven to do something, but stopped into order to "be a good mom" and it was kind of a disaster. My mom hyperfocused all that energy on my sister and I, and got her self-esteem out of our accomplishments - mine were academic/musical and my sister's were social/artistic.  It was very, very important that we continue to succeed and turn out okay.  While we were young I think it was okay but as we came into our pre-teens and teens, it became quite a burden to be "the proof" that my mother had not wasted her life. She still cries - literally with tears - that I did not get a PhD. 

It ruined our relationship on some levels and it also made for a very hard adolescence and early adulthood for me. I was never good enough to justify her sacrifice, especially as I was leaving and so she was left with the transition to not having kids at home. It was just not good.

I would be lying if I said this didn't inform my decision to work (I'm on mat leave right now though).  I gave staying home a good go, but I wasn't happy being at home with my son or (as I tried) doing the part-time freelance hustle. I am probably a bit over-sensitive to it but I didn't want to resent my kids and I found once I got back into a job I loved, it really did free me to be a better parent.  Now maybe having worked through some of that it wouldn't be the case, but - yeah. My mom was a SAHM and it's one reason I've been a WOHM.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#26 of 44 Old 02-25-2011, 07:30 AM

This is my perspective too. Although slightly different childhoods - my parents both worked full-time outside the home. Not for any lofty career ambitions, but to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table. My mother left school at 16 (after becoming pregnant with my brother) and had no real education to speak of, so a very different set of expectatios. My primary motivation for working is that I am a recent law school grad (and Congratulations! to those who have just taken the Bar, I am sure you did well!) and simply cannot justify wasting the investment (intellectual, time and money) I've put in by not using my law degree. At risk of denigrating SAHMs everywhere, I love the time I spend with my daughter but I do not find it intellectually stimulating at all. Fun, loving, yes - intellectual, no. And I need that.

Now having said that, I have certainly chosen a lifestyle that allows me the best of both worlds. I am actually setting up my own practice as a solo, and I plan (eventually) to work around 25-30 hours a week. No 80 hour week at BigLaw for me! (And my husband, also an attorney with his own practic, works around 70 hours a week so for our family I really need to be a bit more flexible.) So this still allows me to go to ECFE, swimming lessons, etc, with my daughter, but then our PT nanny comes and I can go to work.

Interstingly, my mother talks often about how she wishes she could have stayed home with us. But like a previous poster, I think my parents' marriage experienced a real "wobble" after me and my brother left home. Like many marriages, much of the focus was on us. If my mother had not had a job, something outside the home to focus on, I suspect the "wobble" might have been somewhat more significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

My mom stayed home until we were in school, then WAH until we were in the upper elementary grades, and then WOH full time.  She still does.

I think WOH is really ideal for me b/c it gives me an identity other than as a "mom" which is important for me.  I also have absolutely no clue what I would do after my kid grows up and leaves the house if I stayed home.  I want a career after my kids leave the house.  I want a LIFE - one that doesn't revolve around them.  I know that SAHM's can achieve that, but not without a significant amount of effort, and I'm not a social person by any stretch of the imagination, so I really need outside influences to force me to create relationships outside my immediate family.

I mean, what do people do after their kids move out?  Both my parents work, and they have hobbies (dad flies, mom sails - they do both together but my mom isn't a pilot so she rides along), so they're pretty busy when us kids aren't home (none of us live at home anymore).  But what would they do if they hadn't both worked and didn't have careers?  I honestly don't know.  I guess they could start looking for a career, but thats difficult in middle age, going back to school would be hard unless they had the money to afford it, neither of them would be happy having a "job" and not a "career".  I don't know.  I know my mom enjoyed being home when my older brother and I were very little, but it was also completely a financial waste for her to work - I think she netted like $10/week after daycare expenses (we're 6mo apart b/c big brother was adopted).

I don't know, I guess I think I liked that my mom wasn't SAH b/c she had other things going on - she wasn't so focused on me and my brothers.  I mean, she WAS focused on us, she's a GREAT mom, but we also had the opportunity to learn how to be independent with some limitations.  Like, she worked some evenings, and so we had to take the bus to some activities once we were teens.  Or, when I had soccer with my brother after school we took the bus home together. 

We weren't entirely left to our own devices though - my dad would sometimes drive one way, or pick us up if we were working late, my dad drove me to crew at 4:30am every day when I did crew in high school.  I don't know, some of the SAHM's that I knew growing up were too........something.  Not quite sure what.  Ok, I'm going to stop while I'm ahead.  t2009 - sorry if that made no sense.  Since we're both studying for the danged bar exam I'm sure you understand that my brains aren't fully functional atm.

Mama to my monkey since March 2008, wife to my husband since February 2004. After three early losses, we were successful with IVF!  joy.gif
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***heartbeat.gif  

#27 of 44 Old 02-25-2011, 07:32 AM

Me too. Well said.

Quote:

I trust DH with my life but I'm glad I make my own money and could support my family if I ever had to.

Mama to my monkey since March 2008, wife to my husband since February 2004. After three early losses, we were successful with IVF!  joy.gif
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***heartbeat.gif  

#28 of 44 Old 02-25-2011, 07:53 AM

My mom stayed home with me and my siblings until I was 8 (I was the youngest).

She then returned to school to get her GED, Associates, Bachelors and then Master's in Education. I believe she influenced my choices in being a WOH parent. But my father also influenced me. He needed to pick up the slack for my mom when she was student teaching, working and going to college. My dad worked crazy hours, but figured out how to get us to the dentist and doctor's appointments when my mom could not (or maybe my mom figured it out and he just followed orders! I am not certain as both my parents are dead and their marriage ended in a bitter divorce, so I was never able to have that conversation with the two of them together).

It was a crazy, stressful time for my family and lots of mistakes were made. But my siblings and I all turned really great. We are very different people who love and respect each other. We are hard working, motivated individuals who have families we love and care for. Not perfect, but we have pretty rich lives.  While being a latchkey kid created some problems for me, I believe there are more positive influences then negative .

#29 of 44 Old 02-25-2011, 07:59 AM

My mother tried to be a SAHM after I was born, but at the time, we lived in an isolated community in the burbs. Once my dad left with the car for the day, my mother was stranded with me. She had a nerve breakdown and was literally ordered back to work, which she did with much enthusiasm. She did return to college when I was in elementary, so I recall being able to walk home from school to have lunch with her when I was 6 and 7, but after that, she went back to the workforce, as a secretary doing accounting and payroll. My father, an engineer, worked like a madman, BUT was always there for my activities/recitals etc. Despite their WOHM F/T status, both my parents were very involved in my life.

The only thing I hated hated hated was being the first and *last* child at daycare, until I was 12. My mother didn't want to let me come home to an empty house and since she finished at 5:30 or 6:00 p.m., I had to wait for her to come get me at daycare.

Aside from that though, I firmly believe that I got my work ethic from my parents. To me, it's inconceivable not to earn money somehow, whether WOH or WAH. During my mat leave, I went a bit crazy myself and started taking translation contracts and making cloth diapers to keep my mind busy. I really enjoyed my time at home with DD, but I wasn't super happy.

Strangely enough, even though I've got an education degree, I'm currently working as a secretary (ok ok now they call it "legal assitant", but essentially, I'm a secretary) while I do graduate work. Because I'm a single mama, receiving no c.s., I have had no choice but to work. I went back to work when DD was 10 months old, after having received my maternity benefits for a full year. I do hate the fact that I don't see DD a lot due to my hours, but I do love the fact that my job allowed me to pay for my divorce from an abusive alcoholic, pay off my debts, put money aside from DD's education, and save up. Also, because I now live with my parents and they are more flexible, DD is one of the first children to leave daycare, and she spends a lot of quality time with grandpa, who's semi-retired.

#30 of 44 Old 02-25-2011, 01:24 PM

Both my parents worked before and after my sister and I were born. My mom worked full time at the community college. When I was older in middle school she became very active in her union and went to a lot of evening meetings but otherwise both my parents worked regular business hours and were home in the evenings and weekends. It was always fun to visit her at work :-)

Rhianna

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page