Student Mama's first schedule - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What class schedule w/ 10-14 month old?
5 day schedule with absolute minimum number of hours possible away from DD on any given day 2 10.53%
Minimum number of days a week (T-TH or MWF) even though days will be longer 8 42.11%
5 days schedule with same drop off and pick up every day, including some study time between classes 9 47.37%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-31-2004, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Experienced student mamas,
I need some advice!!!

DD will be 10 months old when I start school in the fall. I'm bandying about possible schedules now that the school has the schedule of classes up and I have some idea of what I need to take.

One of the things I need is language classes, 3 of them if I take Spanish, 4 for any other language (Because I can take the "condensed review for people who had it in high school" 1 semester for the 1st 2). Language classes are 5 days a week, except for Latin which is 4. (Haven't made up my mind yet between Spanish and Latin, but I'll probably go with Spanish, it's more practical.)

Should I:

Arrange my schedule for an absolute minimum number of hours away from DD.

Arrange my schedule for a predictable routine w/ me dropping DD off and picking her up at the same time every day of the week.

Arrange my schedule for a minimum number of days (all MWF classes or TTH classes) each week even though it'll mean longer days away from me on the days I DO have class?

If I start on the language classes--and I really ought to, but could get away w/ delaying a semester--I have to be there 5 days a week. It will also mean probably dropping her off at 6:30ish in the morning, if I find care near where I live, or 7:15 or so if near campus, because the best time slot for the language class is at 7:40.

One schedule I've worked out has me out of class at noon two days a week and eleven thirty the other three, one at eleven thirty three days a week, ten thirty on Tuesdays and eight forty on Thursdays, and the last one at ten thirtyish on MWF and eleven thirty TTH.

The schedule w/ me there until eleven thirty or noon 5 days a week includes a 2 hour block of free time in mid morning on M and F that I could use to study, work on papers, etc.

Which schedule is the most practical, based on your experience, and why?

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 03-31-2004, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I work 4 days a week, slightly longer days than if I worked 5/week. I really value my days off to spend with DS. We are better able to plan activities when I know what days I'll be free.
I might, however, schedule your care for one extra day per week, so that you will have one day to focus on studying if you need to.

JMHO!
#3 of 13 Old 04-01-2004, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

DH pointed out that I'm much better off if I have a routine I can follow every day, which would lend itself to a 5 day a week schedule.

Also, to get down to 2 days a week I'd have to take an evening class, and frankly I do better w/ day classes and DD is the most "clingy wants mommy" in the evenings, particularly because she nurses to sleep (though she'll fall asleep on someone's back for naptime).

I would also like to keep evenings free for whatever social life we manage to have, and/or studying once DD goes to bed (I won't be surfing the boards as much I guess, lol!)

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#4 of 13 Old 04-01-2004, 04:31 AM

For my DD consistency in her schedule was SO important, and it still is. But right around that time is when it started. I was late all week one week and she was pissed off and it showed. I think either two days or five, but definately a consistent schedule.
#5 of 13 Old 04-01-2004, 10:58 AM

Oh, if a night class is required I would definately revise my opinion, and do a consistent schedule. I couldn't be away from DS for all of his waking hours. Can you set it up so that you're either gone every day in the morning, or every day in the afternoon?
#6 of 13 Old 04-01-2004, 11:08 AM

I took classes last semester where I had 4 classes on MWF and one class on TTH. I ended up hating it. Perhaps you are more organized than me, but inevitably I ended up doing my homework the night before for my classes and having 4 classes worth of homework to do in one day was horrid!

When my babe was little, I worked 5 days a week from 7-12 and it worked out pretty well. He got in a routine, the dcp got into a routine, and I got into a routine. It actually felt kinda sane.

Good luck!

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#7 of 13 Old 04-01-2004, 11:58 AM

I voted

5 days schedule with same drop off and pick up every day, including some study time between classes

that works best for my family (but it might not for yours).

My dd was super fussy, attached to mom, etc. and it helped her to have the basically same schedule every day. My dh is also super unorganized so it helps him to have the same schedule each day.

I also voted that way bc I think you do need a bit of flex time, rather than the ABSOLUTE minimum time because otherwise you run yourself ragged trying to get back to dc and never can get anything school wise done. Ask me how I know...

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#8 of 13 Old 04-02-2004, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

How do you know, Kristin? I'll take all the advice I can get.

It looks like my schedule will run:

7:40-8:30 Spanish (M-F)
9:15-10:30 ASB 102 (T/Th), 8:40-10:30 ASM104 lab (W)
10:40-11:30 ASM 104 (MWF), 1040-1155 ASB 222 (T/TH).

So depending on where her provider is, I'll be dropping her off at six-thirty or seven every morning, and picking her up sometime between noon and one, depending on the day and, again, where the care is (whether near my house, near the school, or midway in between).

DH was right about me needing a predictable routine, and I've had several friends w/ toddlers like that. And DD is usually better-dispositioned towards people other than myself early in the day.

#9 of 13 Old 04-02-2004, 08:55 AM

Does your DD nap in the afternoon? Will you be able to study then?

I said that about night classes because I've tried to work late & it's been a disaster - DS just won't sleep without mama cuddles.
#10 of 13 Old 04-03-2004, 01:49 AM
Banned

Hi Ravin - I posted a hello to you in the student mama's thread too. I'm in Iowa but just moved here from Tempe in July, a month before my dd was born. I miss AZ soooo much!!

I returned to school (again!!) this January when dd was 5 months old. My class schedule this semester is:

MWF 830a - 1030a & 130p - 230p
TTH 730a - 830a, & 930a - 1230p
T eve 6-9p

I live a good 1/2+ away from campus and have to do the extra 20 minutes to/from the sitters, so my actual schedule is:

MWF leave house at 715
class from 830-1030
study time from 1030-130
class from 130-230
p/u dd by 330
home around 4

T leave house at 615
class from 730-830
study between 830-930
class between 930-1230
p/u dd by 130
home by 2
hang out w/dd
leave house at 5, take dd to sitter
class from 6-9
p/u dd, home by 1000

Th leave house at 615
class from 730-830
study between 830-930
class between 930-1230
study/walmart/bank & other errands
p/u dd by 330
home by 4

I find that allowing myself study time ON CAMPUS and AWAY from dd is VITAL to my success. I am in French Review (2 semesters in one, like your spanish class) which is 5 credit hours, and I use my in between class time to go to the lab and do oral practices with the t.a's. I also use that in between time to go to my Statistics tutorial lab and do other work that requires concentration rather than just skimming a book, which I can do with dd on my lap.

DD will be one year old right at the beginning of fall semester this year, and I'm sure I'll be just as busy.

This was long, sorry. Once I get talkin', you know. And I'm excited that you're in Chandler!! When my ex-bf and I first moved there (Jan/02), we lived with a friend of ours until we found a place of our own - just South of Chandler Blvd and McClintock.

Then I lived on Grove Pkway in Tempe (Elliott & Kyrene), then downtown Phx, and finally back to Tempe a couple blks from ASU campus. Are you orig from Chandler?

enough babbling for now.
#11 of 13 Old 04-03-2004, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

The schedule I outlined above has 4 hrs study time a week built into it. Plus DD should go to bed earlier than I do, and we'll BOTH take an afternoon nap! 9 months out of the year, that's all afternoons are good for out here, imo. I spend evenings NOW goofing off on MDC, or reading, or watching TV, a couple of them on campus at club activities (w/ DD). I figured if I didn't get involved w/ some student orgs now, I'd think I was too busy to do so come the fall. I'm thinking about rushing a sorority, just for the heck of it.

I live at Chandler & McClintock, :LOL !

DH is a Scottsdale native. I was born in Idaho and spent the latter half of childhood in Canyon, TX.

#12 of 13 Old 04-04-2004, 03:05 AM
Dar

I'm replying to this same issue all over the place tonight, somehow... but if I were you - actually, this is what I did when I was you, or when I was a college student with a little one - I would take as many classes as possible through distance learning. Your Spanish and ASB 102 are offered through Rio in Tempe via distance learning, so that's 7 hours right there. If you're willing to take a different 200-level anthro course, that would be another 3, leaving just the ASM course on campus. I don't know what that is, and it may be offered through Rio, too, with different prefix (sometimes they're different). Or you might take something else now through distance learning and take that one later, when you're daughter is older.

You can also take open entry/open exit classes at the community college sometimes, work at your own speed on your own schedule, and usually those took me less time than traditional classes (as did distance learning).

Until Rain was 2 or so, my priority was to spend the least amount of time away from her possible, while still getting the most financial aid. So, if I could take a class that met a requirement through distance learning or a class that I thought I'd like better that met the same requirement in person, I did the distance one.

I never used childcare for "study time" - I studied when Rain was asleep, or when she was tiny, I latched her on and put the book behind her. By the time she was 2 or 3, she would go on playdates sometimes so I could study, but by them all my classes were in person and it was clear that she was at about the edge of the amount of childcare that she was comfortable with. I think I set this elsewhere, but do get on the list for the childcare center at ASU, they accept subsidies and it's a great place, plus it's on campus so your commute gets much easier.

This is just what I did, what worked for me, and I made decisions based on my priorities. YMMV, of course...

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#13 of 13 Old 04-04-2004, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

I don't even want to think about the headache I'd get with the VA if I don't take all the classes from the same school in a given semester, or the hassle of changing schools AGAIN. The 200 level anthro course is one of two I have a choice between, and the only one being offered in the fall. I can't declare my major as Anthropology until I get those 3 courses out of the way.

On campus child care is for 2 and up. There are several in-home providers and one center that take under 2 that work with the subsidy program at the university and are reasonably close to the bus route between where I live and the campus.

I know from past history that having some time to study/do homework in an environment with minimal distractions--i.e., not at home--is something I need. It also gives time if I have to see a professor about something, etc. And if I don't need to study, 2 hours might even be enough time to go visit DD for a little while, depending on where I find care.

I'm working on getting my sister out here, but not counting on it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page