MDC Academic Writing Club - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 136 Old 03-28-2011, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

kaybee - my kids have been sick too for about a week. DH just took DS2 to the doctor, he has double ear infections. I'm actually relieved, I thought it was broncitius (sp?) or RSV. He has been up for hours at a time for the past week. I have gotten between 3-6 hours of sleep a night for about 10 days.

GOALS (Week March 27-April 1)

1. Work on xsectn 30 minutes a day M-F

2. Work on Erosion paper 30 minutes a day M-F

3. Answer co-authors questions for Zir

4. Lab manual cover page

5. check with SM - India topography, diss proposal

D. proud Mom of H. E. M. and T. always remembering Norah (11/07 at 40 wks) and (10/06) see profile
#62 of 136 Old 03-28-2011, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Last week was spring break and was a total bust.  I took some vacation, and my brain failed to come home with me.

Today is the first day of the quarter, and I now have the first two weeks of the course squared away.

This week:

HRing:  Data to coauthor by end of Monday

Hol:  30 min/day Tues - Fri

HPv: 30 min/day  Tues - Fri

CP: Coauthor has a problem with a scaling relation I used.  Helping grad student figure it out then getting the thing submitted.

#63 of 136 Old 03-28-2011, 11:28 PM

We were on spring break too last week. I though it would mean I'd do a lot of writing. And...nope, not so much. Grrr. R is on spring break this week, but I suspect that will lead to even less time for me to get anything done.

Last week::
- really send ICPS form Done
- grade other discussion Done
- read 75 pages in current research book Done
- write 5 sentences/night on the article

This week:
- 5 sentences
- 100 pages of research-related reading
- 1/3 way through concert paper grading
- write test

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#64 of 136 Old 04-02-2011, 08:09 AM

GOALS (Week March 27-April 1) UPDATE

1. Work on xsectn 30 minutes a day M-F DONE

4. Lab manual cover page

5. check with SM - India topography,

I was horrible last week at getting anything done. I had so many meetings...so

GOALS (Week April 3-7)

1. Work on xsectn 30 minutes a day M-F

4. Lab manual cover page

5. check with SM - India topography,  

D. proud Mom of H. E. M. and T. always remembering Norah (11/07 at 40 wks) and (10/06) see profile
#65 of 136 Old 04-02-2011, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Complete bust for a week, here, too.  Interviewee was in town, out of normal schedule faculty meetings, rocky start to the quarter (my classroom is flooded), gave an extra lecture for a colleague whose DD was too sick for her to leave home, etc, etc, etc.

Onward to next week.

#66 of 136 Old 04-02-2011, 11:42 AM

Last week:

Spend 30 min/day on Rav section of BFR, starting on Tuesday. - Nothing on Tuesday, Wed, or Thur.  I got to this on Friday for about an hour.

Clean up sections 1-4 on BFR. - I worked on this, but didn't finish it.

Start edits on other people's BFR sections as they come in. None of them came in until Friday afternoon.

Write an exam for next Monday. (I want to make sure I don't forget it...) Mostly there

This week was not as productive as I'd hoped.  Sick kid for two days, and I my proposal took up more time than I'd planned.

Next week's goals:

1. Finish I3 proposal and submit by Friday.

2. Finish cleaning up sections 1-4 on BFR by Wed.

3. Work on Rav section of BFR for 30 min/day ALL week.

4. Merge 2 spreadsheets and prep for submission to funding agency.

#67 of 136 Old 04-04-2011, 08:38 PM

Last week:
- 5 sentences Done - in one very long writing session last night that resulted in ~30 sentences, give or take. And yes, I give myself a day off each week, hence 30 and not 35.
- 100 pages of research-related reading Partly done, but I probably only managed 50 pages
- 1/3 way through concert paper grading Done!
- write test Done!

This week my primary goal is to catch a little extra sleep before my half-marathon on Sunday (priorities!), so I'm setting the bar low:
- the usual 5 sentences/day
- 50 pages research-related reading
- finish concert paper grading
- grade listening section of world music tests

edited b/c I finally changed to rich text format and can do fonts in color

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#68 of 136 Old 04-08-2011, 02:09 PM

I had another horrible week and essentially did not accomplish any of my Goals. I'm OOT for the first 3 days of next week but I'm taking work with me. I will work to try and achieve some of these goals.

GOALS (Week April 11-15)

1. Work on cross section (not this week, I'm OOT)

4. Lab manual cover page

5. check with SM - India topography

6. Grade midterms

7. Grade project 2

#69 of 136 Old 04-08-2011, 02:38 PM

I've been absent forever: Spring Break I intentionally took off.

Then to quote my friend "reentry was a little tough."  after Spring Break.

This week I've been sick. Like sick enough that I canceled classes one day and stayed home during one non-instructional day. I think I'm on the mend.....

Good news (and bad news): I was asked to be the PI on a STEM initiative proposal for our campus. I'm overwhelmed. But there is (supposedly) funding from administration to compensate me for proposal writing time. I'm flattered and overwhelmed. But I have a few really good ideas and said them rather loudly at a brainstorming meeting, so the grants person cornered me and, well....off we run. I was hoping to check out for the summer June 10 when my kiddos are out of school and return in August. I'm not sure that can happen, but that's probably ok.

Goals for next week (4-11 to 4-15):

get current on online grading (which means grade 2 labs)

write course outline for freshman seminar I'm teaching this fall

write new course descriptions for 130 and 112

type handwritten notes for paper and find 2 references for said paper.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#70 of 136 Old 04-08-2011, 02:48 PM

This week went pretty well.  Here were my goals:

1. Finish I3 proposal and submit by Friday.  It is done.  It's due Monday.

2. Finish cleaning up sections 1-4 on BFR by Wed.  I finished cleaning up sections 1, 2, and 4 and sent it to colleagues by Wed! Sec 3 is waiting on someone else. 

3. Work on Rav section of BFR for 30 min/day ALL week.  I finished the Rav section by Wed. 

4. Merge 2 spreadsheets and prep for submission to funding agency.  What a pain in the rear this has been.  Not quite there yet - need to have some serious conversation with author of spreadsheet #1.  

Next week's goals:

1. Finish section 3 of BFR, pending info from colleague (Mon?).  Done.

2. Write those last 2 short sections of BFR (Mon and Tues). One is done and the other is delegated wink1.gifand now they are both done.

3. Clean up entire document, including comments from others. (by Thurs)  Working on it right now. DONE!

4. Send the blasted BFR off by Friday (due Friday!). DONE!!!!

5. Write abstract and submit by Friday. Done!

Question for you all.  This spring has just been one deadline after another for me, so I've been fairly productive.  I can usually make deadlines.  The problem is that I tend to crash afterwards and lose all momentum.  How do keep going?  

(I'm beginning to think I should submit all of my papers to special issues simply because they have deadlines.  I can make deadlines.  I can't motivate myself to get the papers done that don't have deadlines.)

#71 of 136 Old 04-11-2011, 09:29 PM

What I accomplished: the research reading, concert paper grading and listening section of the tests. Also, the extra sleep before the race, more or less. Writing took a big hit though, mostly because I was being a wuss.

So this week:
- grade discussion posts
- finish grading tests
- grade world music concert papers
- 50 pages in research book
- 5 sentences per day (no excuses!)

kaybee--um, I haven't figured out the "keep going" thing yet, or at least not well. That would explain why I've spent all semester working on a rough draft of one article. Also, I'm not convinced that it's possible to keep up a certain pace forever, so I try to focus on limiting my recovery. Or I will once I finally get this article done.

#72 of 136 Old 04-12-2011, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm finding that I'm now almost entirely deadline driven.  The trick seems to be to assign deadlines and have someone who can keep me accountable.  I've got 2 coauthors for minor projects that are great like that.  My major stuff is another story.  Those coauthors seem to only function with the top 10 emails in their inbox, and if you sink below that, they forget about the project.  My students are keeping me honest, though, so those papers I generally can handle -- they're breathing down my neck constantly.

I did break a logjam yesterday on some of my data for one paper, so that's good to roll.  I plan to crank on that one this week to see how far I can push it.

#73 of 136 Old 04-18-2011, 09:35 PM

Last week was more productive. I finished all the grading, finished the research reading and best of all, have a (very) rough draft of my article.

Onto this week. I'm trying to keep my expectations reasonable because I'll be at church three evenings this week and that's likely to mean late bedtimes and less work time.
- finish current research book
- grade discussion assignments
- print and start editing article - at least an hour this week
- bonus: start outlining next article

#74 of 136 Old 04-19-2011, 06:17 AM

Nice job getting a draft complete, Lisa!

Last week was successful - I submitted a proposal on Monday and a monster report on Friday.  Phew!

Yesterday I spent running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

My goals this week involve primarily reading and editing drafts of student papers and catching up on a few reviews.

1. Read ED's thesis by Wed. Done

2. Read SD's paper by Thurs. Done

3. Read and review MS1 by Friday. Done

4. Read MS2 - first pass by Friday.  Not done

5. Go through nomination packets I'm supposed to be reviewing. Done

6. Go through chapter 2 from BFR and start working on turning it into a paper (30 min/day for 3 days)  Nope - not done

Looking forward to Geofizz's visit on Thursday!

#75 of 136 Old 04-20-2011, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

CP is submitted!!!!  Please wish it well.  It went to the highest impact journal in my field that publishes longer papers (ie, not Science/Nature, and surprisingly higher impact than GRL)

I need to keep whittling on the other papers.  I did get one log jam on Bam freed up last week, but my motivation is in the pits.

Has anyone contemplated a writers retreat for your group?  I'm contemplating something for my group in finals week this quarter where we do some sort of locked-in-a-room-no-internet kind of routine with daily exchanges of papers.  It would be me and 3 grad students, all with papers to write.  Thoughts on making that work?

Sick kid - night filled with tornado sirens - travel this afternoon.  I think that travel will be more restful than being at home for once.  AND I get to hang out with kerc and meet kaybee.

#76 of 136 Old 04-20-2011, 10:50 AM

Congrats Geofizz, on submitting CP!

Writer's retreat.  Yes, we've pondered it.  In fact, 2 of my grad students took the initiative to plan one (although it looks like I won't be able to go).  The plan was/is cabin in a state park, with electricity and heat a must.  Write/exchange drafts during the day, with concrete goals, and scheduled breaks for hiking, etc. 

#77 of 136 Old 04-26-2011, 07:15 PM

Geo - a writing retreat sounds wonderful. It wouldn't happen with my colleagues because life is too complicated, but I can think of three of us who need it. There would need to be an ample supply of coffee or a nearby Starbucks (or coffee shop of your choice) to make it awesome.

I finished two of the four items last week. Didn't do any editing, but otoh, that wretched stomach bug sucked two days out of my life between J being sick and then me being sick, and with Holy Week activities starting the minute we were all healthy, well, so it goes.

This week:
- 100 pgs research reading
- at least an hour of editing
- outline next article
- start grading opera papers as they come in and have 15 done by Monday evening

#78 of 136 Old 04-27-2011, 01:02 PM

I've been bad getting any writing done for the last two weeks.  This is the classic post-submission crash.

So I'll try and be good and start making goals again...

This week:

1. Edit UWEC proposal and get it back to them. Done

2. Organize FT guide and send out writing tasks to everyone involved.

3. Read ED's thesis, comment and return. Done

4. Review MS2 by Friday. Halfway done

5. Work 30 min on Th and Fri on Hol paper. 

6. Read SD's paper and return comments by Friday. Done

#79 of 136 Old 04-27-2011, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

This week was consumed by grading really dreadful midterms.  One student complained that she could see that my midterm was designed to take the facts and concepts and relate them to draw inferences.  Totally unfair.

I've gotten lots of calculations done, abstracts edited for students (those count, right), and hand holding on data analysis.  Writing - as in words into a word document with a title and author list on the top - needs to happen.

Tomorrow - visitor, but will spend 15 minutes on Bam

Friday - eaten by meetings

#80 of 136 Old 05-02-2011, 10:28 PM

Um, apparently I'm just a bum. I'm not sure what happened to last week, seeing as 5 opera papers are graded, no articles have been outlined and nothing has been edited, at all. I did manage the research reading at least.

OK, time to start the final push to the end.

1. Finish grading opera papers
2. Grade discussion posts over the weekend
3. Finish the research book by Tuesday's final so I can return it while I'm on campus
4. Spend at least an hour editing the article

#81 of 136 Old 05-09-2011, 09:00 AM

Ok, I need a kick in the pants to get things done.

I have a field trip guide due in 2 weeks that I haven't started and I just got 2 papers back that require edits - 1 minor and 1 major (like, I should rewrite it). 

And I have until June 10th to do it all, because after that I'm gone for 5 weeks.  I also have edits on a final, final report due June 30th that I can probably tie up from the field, but I'd prefer not to.

Goals this week:

1. Write, give, and grade final exam Written...Given...Grading...Done.

2. Finish minor edits on GSAT paper by Wed. Done

3. Finish revamping figure on GSAT by Th. Done except for one minor (but strangely time-consuming) edit

4. Get at least 2 sections of FT guide done by Friday in early first draft form, by writing on them at least 1 hour/day all week. 1 hr done on Mon and that was it for the week (boo!)

#82 of 136 Old 05-09-2011, 02:09 PM

I would like to join this thread... anything that might help!  I'm a grad student (biology PhD), is that allowed?  I'm at a large state university, in my 5th year and trying to write the big bad dissertation.  My son is in daycare part time and my DH just finished med school; we have a brief interlude before residency and then life is going to get crazier than it's ever been.  

I'm working on chapter #2 (Ch.2) which is a review article and every time I sit down to do my "15 minutes of writing" I realize I have nothing to write about since I haven't even finished collecting the data. So then I switch to "data" mode which involves lit searching and multiple computer programs and it's a short hop from there to Something Unrelated.  I have a hard time staying on target.  I've heard the brain fog lifts when you stop breastfeeding but I haven't done that yet (DS just turned 1).  DS also still wakes up 2-3 times per night and I get up to change him/nurse him back to sleep.  DH was helping out with that (giving a bottle of breastmilk during the night) but I think my production is lagging because I pump but it never lets down any more.  So I get up a lot at night, and while it's getting better I feel like a year of serious sleep deprivation has really damaged my ability to think creatively and critically and to focus.  The crazy scheduling and racing around I feel like I can deal with, but the sleep deprivation is killing me!  I know there are other forums for that but I basically just accept it as a fact of life at this point.

So I will try to post goals on here as well.  If anyone has suggestions for getting "real work" done when feeling like a zombie, I would love to hear it.  I am really inspired by everything you all are accomplishing!  I may even try to start a writing group of grad students in my department.  

Goals for this week:

1. enter 5 papers/day into useful/not useful spreadsheet; extract figures from useful ones

2. come up with a framework for entering data from papers collected so far.

#83 of 136 Old 05-09-2011, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome mamatrying!

One thing that's helped me is accountability, and another is making a clear space for writing.  "Space" sometimes is something physical, other times for me it's mental.  When my son was that age, I started getting up at 5 am {yawn} to get an hour's work in.  I would then spend my days making sure I had enough to write about the next morning.  I did find, however, that after a while I was not only burning the candle on both ends, but melting a little spot in the middle to burn from there too. 

Kaybee ~ yay for having two papers back from review!  Your tasks seem manageable this week.

Me:  Get UG thesis back to UG, get HPTEOS paper back to soon-to-graduate PhD student.

#84 of 136 Old 05-10-2011, 12:12 PM

Mamatrying - I felt like it took an inordinate amount of time to "get my brain back" after having kids.  It does happen, eventually, but dang it's hard before it does.  

To help with focusing, I got a little timer for my computer.  I set it for 20 minutes and while it's running, I am not allowed to use the internet for anything.  I don't have to write.  I could data crunch or work on figures or whatever, but I can't check the internet.  Not even to go grab that paper that I need to reference.  Jot it down on a sheet of paper and move on.  When the 20 minutes are up, I do a quick email scan, grab the paper I made a note about, etc.  Then I set the timer again and resume working.  It really helps.  I find that "Something Unrelated" usually crops up when I am on-line.  

Goals help, too (says the person who worked on my FT guide last night from 9:30-10:30 because I said I'd do an hour a day...).

Ok, time for 20 more minutes...

#85 of 136 Old 05-10-2011, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Nods along:

Api Mac Timer works great for me, though my post-baby, nursing all night brain was not up to the 20 minute workout -- when I started I had the best success with 8-10 minute chunks, slowly working up to 20 minutes.  I also use leechblock on Firefox, where I can block certain time leeches.  On days I really struggle, I can put the whole computer into lockdown which won't let me defeat leechblock with my admin password until after a particular, preset time window.  Facebook emergencies just have to wait.

#86 of 136 Old 05-10-2011, 07:24 PM

mamatrying--It took a few years for the fog to lift with #1. It hasn't lifted with #2 yet, but I can work through it if I really focus. One of the things that helps my writing is to leave "breadcrumbs" stating what I want to do the next time I open the document. I love being able to open it up and say "oh yeah, that's what I'm going to do today" because the other option is opening, staring at it, and wondering what in heck I'm doing with it anyhow. It's kind of like going downstairs and saying "now why did I come down here?" except that you'll have left yourself a note. lol.gif

This week's goals:
1. Edit the article.
2. Finish the research book
3. Grade finals
4. Calculate and turn in final grades

#87 of 136 Old 05-17-2011, 01:17 PM

Goals for the last week:

1. enter 5 papers/day into useful/not useful spreadsheet; extract figures from useful ones Did most days

2. come up with a framework for entering data from papers collected so far. DONE

Goals for the coming week:

get over this cold and deal with 9 family members visiting for DH's med school graduation!

organize a "writing group" meeting of folks in my lab for next week

repot experimental seedlings

I'm kind of punting this week but I feel awful, I think DS is teething again, and it's going to be crazy with guests in town.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas and support.  It's hard to find that balance between having my old expectations (= depression at not meeting them) and just giving up entirely.  Obviously there's a lot of territory in between the two but I'm not familiar with it!  I think public goals are a great tool, though.  The hardest thing is just maintaining focus and staying on task, and I'm not even ON Facebook or the rest of that!

#88 of 136 Old 05-18-2011, 07:36 PM

Finished all but the one thing I'm in this club for: editing the article. Bah.

I'm calling this a rest and recovery week and will get to it next week. (Or maybe surprise myself and do it this week? Stranger things have happened.)

#89 of 136 Old 05-20-2011, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

I'm having an awful time managing my attention.  I've got 2 days next week that's pretty open, 2 the following, then I'm pretty much open for the summer.  I have a huge number of papers that are 80-90% done and I have to get them out.  I need to move myself to somewhere else that I cannot distract myself with the internet, old issues of EOS, or department politics.  The internet, unfortunately, is the biggest problem.  I keep defeating my management barriers.

So:  Where can I go that is pleasant (or at least not unpleasant) to work with NO free internet?  Having to pay for the internet is a big enough hurdle for me.  However, the free internet at most cafes now, the public library, the uni library, is too easy for me to hop on and then waste oodles of time.  I'm thinking 2-4 hours per day to be totally unplugged from the online world.

Ideas?

#90 of 136 Old 05-23-2011, 10:30 AM

Goals for last week:

get over this cold and deal with 9 family members visiting for DH's med school graduation! Phew

organize a "writing group" meeting of folks in my lab for next week DONE (meeting for lunch today)

repot experimental seedlings DONE

Goals for the coming week:

1. 5 refs/day

2. Make a list of, and summarize papers dealing with MSC

3. Finish going through M 2004 Appendix for papers

Geofizz - I think you have identified a core issue for many of us!  "The internet is great/the worst thing ever."  You're right that most places that are pleasant to work in have free internet.  What about a more mom-and-pop diner kind of place rather than a coffee shop/cafe?  I thought about the laundromat for a while but I tend to people-watch so that would be too distracting for me.  

The library where I did my undergrad had an "Absolute Quiet Room" - seems like there's a need now for an "Internet-Free Room"!  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page