RN Mamas - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 05-18-2011, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
chiro probably kept me working for at least a month longer than I would have - should have done it from the beginning.

I attempted to return to work today with a horrible hacking cough then called in @ 1500. I'm so frustrated with this nasty virus I have. The story of the day is a woman who was trying to burn her way out of restraints with a lighter. Not my patient, thank goodness.

Me: almost 40, RN DW: 38, CPD Boy: born 4/2/2007 Girl: born 8/23/2010
Queer Parenting since 2007
#32 of 46 Old 05-19-2011, 10:24 AM

Disco- I fixed my siggy for ya! joy.gif

Disco Infiltrator likes this.

Melissa-Mama to Allyson carrot.gif 1-22-07 and Katelyn homebirth.jpg 5-14-09 and Paul 1-2-12 my 10 lb 6oz. homebirthed baby boy.

#33 of 46 Old 05-19-2011, 11:38 AM

Hi!  I'm been mostly a lurker on MDC but I'm trying to be more active!  I'm an RN on a post surgical unit.  I only work prn (3 shifts/2 weeks) and I work nights.  I found out I was pregnant with the twins (now 17 months) the last semester of nursing school.  I took NCLEX, got my license and started orientation before I went on bedrest.  I was on br for two months before they were born, then I took off four months.  When I first came back I only worked 2 shifts a month.  I still feel extremely new and pray every night that I work that no emergency happens that I don't know how to handle.  When the twins get to be school age I'll probably work full time, my husband wants to do a career change that will be a paycut for us.  Nice to meet everyone!!  I'm Jolene btw!

Jolene, RN; Proud Mommy to Dylan (09/27/05), Bryce and Kaia (12/02/09)
#34 of 46 Old 05-19-2011, 12:34 PM

Welcome Jolene! I still feel new and I've been at it since 2004! I'd be lost without my coworkers

Melissa-Mama to Allyson carrot.gif 1-22-07 and Katelyn homebirth.jpg 5-14-09 and Paul 1-2-12 my 10 lb 6oz. homebirthed baby boy.

#35 of 46 Old 05-19-2011, 01:31 PM

@Foxynursejo, do tell about your nclex experience :) 

hola.gif
#36 of 46 Old 05-19-2011, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishereal View Post

@Foxynursejo, do tell about your nclex experience :) 

NCLEX is hell.

Welcome Jolene! Twins - how crazy, and starting a new job. It took me two years to feel like I had a good grasp on my job and still things come up and I'm like WTF. I agree with Mammamo, thank goodness for coworkers.

#37 of 46 Old 05-19-2011, 02:21 PM

The morning of NCLEX I had morning sickness so bad.  Oh it was awful.  I only had the minimum amount of questions, but after it stopped I was sure that meant I failed horribly.  I prayed for it to keep going!  After I left I sat in my car and cried so hard, called my sister and told her I failed.  She gave me the "I'm sure you did fine speech", and I did do fine, lol, but that test is pure hell. 

I had worked on the same unit for three years as a CNA, so I was comfortable with the other nurses, the types of patients, the surgeons, etc, so that was nice.  But my preceptor had this attitude of "you've been here a while, you know what your doing, I'll be at the nurses station if you need me."  She had also just gotten a new position in the ICU and only had a few weeks left on our unit, so I think she just didn't give a F.  But I'm managing, everyone is mostly very helpful in answering my questions, I just get nervous that I won't know the difference between when my patients are sick and real sick (ie, they're crashing and I need to do something NOW). 

Ok, thats my story, thanks for listening!  Look forward to getting to know you mamas!!

ishereal likes this.

#38 of 46 Old 05-19-2011, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

I love precepting new nurses and think it's awful when you get someone who doesn't give you their all. I'm very much on my manager's bad side at the moment and she doesn't want me to create a whole new batch of GDIs like myself, so I probably won't be able to take on any new RNs until she's gone. Oh well.

#39 of 46 Old 05-19-2011, 02:40 PM

AW, thats too bad  :-(  

#40 of 46 Old 07-02-2011, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Hi all!

I'm another who got pregnant in my last semester. The baby is now 8 months old, and I got hired for my first job the other day! After more than a year of struggles getting my license transferred (we moved to a different state) and the horrible current job market where everyone wants at least a year or two of experience, the job happened so suddenly and easily that I'm kind of in shock!

I have a few questions...

How do you mamas manage to find time to pump at work? I know federal law requires them to allow reasonable breaks for pumping, but I also know that breaks don't always happen like they're supposed to, and I'm hesitant to make a big deal about it as a new grad new hire.

I'm not too worried about it - I'll be starting out on nights, and I think it will be ok to just call her night-weaned at this point. From that standpoint, I think nights will be a blessing. I will be on days for the first little while for orientation, but I suppose taking breaks to pump (or just nurse, since we live close to the facility) will be less of an issue, since I won't be solely in charge of patient care at that point.

And how do you deal with night shifts when you have kids who are on day shift?

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#41 of 46 Old 07-02-2011, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelotmom View Post

And how do you deal with night shifts when you have kids who are on day shift?

Sitter seriously. You need sleep. The vast majority of night shift mamas I know have a sitter or their kids go to daycare/school during the day so they can sleep. I knew a couple that did it without but it is very, very taxing on you and not to mention dangerous to your patients if you are trying to function off of a couple hours of broken sleep. Night shift is hard on your body anyway, please don't make it worse by trying to sleep while caring for the kids. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#42 of 46 Old 07-02-2011, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post

Sitter seriously. You need sleep. The vast majority of night shift mamas I know have a sitter or their kids go to daycare/school during the day so they can sleep. I knew a couple that did it without but it is very, very taxing on you and not to mention dangerous to your patients if you are trying to function off of a couple hours of broken sleep. Night shift is hard on your body anyway, please don't make it worse by trying to sleep while caring for the kids. 

Thankfully, the actual supervision isn't a huge issue. DH is self-employed and works from home, plus we have a housemate.

But that's still an idea. We homeschool, and some sort of after-school program a few days a week might be an option for some quieter time, as well as getting them some activity.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#43 of 46 Old 07-02-2011, 09:00 PM

Hi RN mamas!

I'm a year away from graduating with my BSN and while I don't necessarily want to work L&D, I plan on starting midwifery school as soon as I have my requisite one year experience, and I have been told L&D would be best.  My question is actually about circumcisions...can a nurse refuse to assist in them?  I think that I could handle most of working in labor and delivery, but circumcisions make me really uncomfortable.  Will I just need to suck it up?

Thanks!~

Lovin' my babes and my bubbah-wubs hearts.gif

#44 of 46 Old 07-04-2011, 03:50 AM

I work nights, there's no way I could do it if I didn't have someone to watch my kids the next day.  Either my mom watches them (at my house) or it's on a weekend when DH is home.  It wouldn't be safe for me at home if I had to be responsible for them after working all night.

We have a lactation room we can use for pumping, but it's on a different floor, and it's hard to take the extra time to go down there.  So I use our report room, it's not locked but I put a sign on the door and everyone is respectful.  I've never had any problem.  When I first came back to work when the twins were 4 months old I pumped every three hours, on the dot.  I'd save my charting for when I pumped.  When they were about 15-16 months old I cut down to three pumpings per 12 hour shift.  I could probably stop pumping altogether, as it is a pain and I hate washing bottles and the pieces, but I donate 75% of the milk I pump and I enjoy donating.  I don't pump at home so the milk I pump at work is all the expressed milk I have. 

Good luck!

#45 of 46 Old 07-04-2011, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by activistamamacita View Post

Hi RN mamas!

I'm a year away from graduating with my BSN and while I don't necessarily want to work L&D, I plan on starting midwifery school as soon as I have my requisite one year experience, and I have been told L&D would be best.  My question is actually about circumcisions...can a nurse refuse to assist in them?  I think that I could handle most of working in labor and delivery, but circumcisions make me really uncomfortable.  Will I just need to suck it up?

Thanks!~

I seem to remember a recent thread in the case against circ forum about this very thing. It isn't always easy to get out of, the two RNs that were posting had been threatened with their jobs. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#46 of 46 Old 07-05-2011, 01:25 PM

whats the census looking like in your area? I got a low census day today. Unexpected  but I got a lot done with the kids at the sitters. Although, I may have to take most of my maternity leave unpaid at this rate!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page