RN Mamas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-05-2011, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm the primary income earner in our family, work 90% day shift acute care at what's basically county. I find that I'm the odd duck out in the RN world with my AP unmedicated birthing extended bfing hippy parenting ways. Oh well. I love being an RN, although it's a hard job. Because of shift work I get to be home with my kids a lot more than if I worked M-F.

Are there any other RN mamas out there?

Me: almost 40, RN DW: 38, CPD Boy: born 4/2/2007 Girl: born 8/23/2010
Queer Parenting since 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I'm an odd duck as well. I keep quiet about most of my practices because I work in public health.  I work very part time supervising a breastfeeding program at the health dept, I'm an IBCLC. It works for now because I have multiple small children, I mostly set my own hours, work from home quite a bit, and am largely left alone, but in order to operate like that I have to keep a low profile on what I say or advocate for. I actually do enjoy public health, more then I thought I would when I took this job, and could see doing more work there in the future when children are older. Many of the RNs work for multiple programs because of limited funding or grants. I could never increase my hours in my program because of funding as well, but there is always the possibility of picking up other days in another area. I would have to limit myself, couldn't do vaxs for example! But our dept does a fair amount of prenatal care and then has an interesting program where an RN goes into a home for 3 years and teaches the parents how to parent, that would be up my alley and I could see working AP principles into my teaching quite easily. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Peony. I always thought I'd really like public health, actually had my instructor ask me to consider doing my masters in it, but I can't get away from my schedule at the moment. My kids are too little and we're considering unschooling them, so I need to keep my flexibility.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:23 AM

I worked in public health for several years & enjoyed it. I just started working at an elementary school this year & it has been a great thing. My kids are teens/preteen & my work schedule is perfect considering they attend school also so depending on what you choose to do with your kids it may not be a fit. I'm off all week for spring break this week hanging out with them & I will be off with them all summer. I just do not enjoy hospital nursing & I don't think I could ever go back to it.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:44 AM

I work nights on a medical floor.  It may be the town that I live in, but there are several "odd ducks".  Women who have had homebirths, extended breastfeeders, people who are very open to alternative medications, treatments, and diets.  I only work with one fellow, and he's a fairly open minded dude, as well.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:17 AM

**Me, Me** I work in an smallish outlaying hospital in an ICU. My kids are smallish too, 2 and 4. I'm definetely the odd duck, but my MIL is one too, and works home health for the same hossy, so I don't get any slack about it. I def don't see myself doing this much longer, I feel like such a hypocrite at work....throwing away all sorts of things, and wasting stuff...I hate that part about it, and the chronicity of my patients and seeing the same cranky ass COPD patients is really getting to me too.

Melissa-Mama to Allyson carrot.gif 1-22-07 and Katelyn homebirth.jpg 5-14-09 and Paul 1-2-12 my 10 lb 6oz. homebirthed baby boy.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:57 AM

Me too! I work nights in labor and delivery. I'm definitely the odd one out on my unit sometimes, the majority of my coworkers get dreamy-eyed when they talk about how wonderful their epiduralized, induced births were, or vent about how their patient won't just lay still and let them monitor the baby. I think pretty often about quitting my job honestly, and going into some other area of nursing. I'm the primary income-earner too (my husband is a SAHD) so I have to work and I do like nursing but I feel really burnt out on always defending my choices and the choices of the natural birthing moms who come to our unit. It's exhausting.

wife to my  love.gif, mom toenergy.gif, blahblah.gif, jog.gif, and 3rdtri.gif ! a person is a person, no matter how small.

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35stork-girl.gif***40*

Old 03-30-2011, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanSprout Mama View Post

Me too! I work nights in labor and delivery. I'm definitely the odd one out on my unit sometimes, the majority of my coworkers get dreamy-eyed when they talk about how wonderful their epiduralized, induced births were, or vent about how their patient won't just lay still and let them monitor the baby. I think pretty often about quitting my job honestly, and going into some other area of nursing. I'm the primary income-earner too (my husband is a SAHD) so I have to work and I do like nursing but I feel really burnt out on always defending my choices and the choices of the natural birthing moms who come to our unit. It's exhausting.

This is exactly why I never ever wanted to work OB in a hospital! I used to work ortho at a small hospital, we shared a floor with OB. They were the half right behind us so we shared the nurse's station, break room, and would help them out answering call lights. I got to listen to many an OB nurse complain about the natural birthers which there actually is a far amount of at our local hospital because of a large CNM practice. I always made me want to run far away when I had my own babies. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:45 AM

wave.gif

I work a night or two per week in a community hospital, in a couple different units. I like the intellectual stimulation of nursing, enjoy the huge variety of patients we get, and like a lot of my coworkers, but I hate the politics of hospital nursing. I do feel like my workplace is improving overall, and DH doesn't make nearly enough for me to SAHM, so I intend to stick around for now. 

It's kind of funny: I live in a fairly conservative area, but there are quite a few nurses who are crunchier than me at work. Several of my coworkers breastfed until toddlerhood or beyond (one until her kid was 5), several are homeschoolers, and some of the L&D nurses are really excited when they get a natural birthing mom. There is wireless monitoring, so moms often wander the halls while in labor. A few of the pp nurses vent behind closed doors about hating the hassle of helping people breastfeed, but they usually just find someone to help who is more into it- I've never seen a pp nurse suggest formula unless mom brings it up herself. I love that it's standard here to do skin-to-skin right away if possible (although as a baby nurse, this freaked me out a bit until I got used to it!), and that c/s moms routinely hold their babies in OR and BF in recovery. Both my babies were born out of hospital, but I intend to have my next at the hospital where I work, if I ever have another baby.

At this point, I can't afford to do anything drastic, but within the next few years, I would like to become a CLC (and maybe eventually ICBLC from there). I really enjoy helping my pts breastfeed, but when I have 5 other patients needing my attention, it is really hard to give anyone the level of attention they need.

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
Old 03-30-2011, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

I have thought of going from adult acute care to L&D but I think it's not for me.  I'm really lucky to work at a hospital where nursing has a strong voice and I'm really used to mouthing off to docs who I disagree with, and I feel like I'd be expected to be more subservient in L&D.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I also feel like I'd become indoctrinated and part of the Medical Birthing Machine.  We all get burned out and numbed to our patients.  I do love birth and babies, but I love my cranky old COPDrs and IVDA drug seeking homeless population as well.  Even if they try to hit me every once in a while. 

I've actually thought of becoming a CLC, probably work independently and keep my floor nursing job.  It would be a way to be involved with the birth community but not have to be an L&D RN.

I just got an admit for "bedbugs".  Really?  :)

Oh, and twice in the last month I've had two different docs ask me if I was refusing to do something because I'm scared.  Again, REALLY?  No, not scared. 

Glad to see RNs here.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:50 PM

Oye, the thought of going into L&D makes me burnt out, lol, I can imagine it'd be frustrating to fight for the natural birthers rights!

Disco- I'm going to Seattle for a family reunion this summer, we love it out there!

Melissa-Mama to Allyson carrot.gif 1-22-07 and Katelyn homebirth.jpg 5-14-09 and Paul 1-2-12 my 10 lb 6oz. homebirthed baby boy.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:48 PM

Me! I work on a neurosurgery/trauma/acute care gen surg floor (yes, it really does combine all 3 services) at a big urban teaching hospital. I do at times feel like an odd duck. When I was planning a home birth with DD, my co-workers thought I was a bit strange, although no one really said anything to my face. And I have since found out that our rec therapist has had 2 homebirths. Now I can't wait until I get pregnant again and announce that I'm planning an HBAC!

I actually don't love my job right now. The hospital where I work is extremely focused on increasing patient flow, which is done to the detriment of patient care and nursing workload. Nurses on all the floors are really feeling the squeeze and morale is pretty low. I've been doing project work for the last 5 months or so, which has been a nice change, but I return to permanent nights this coming Sunday.

I do like the schedule for the most part as it allows me to be at home for full days with DD during the week and I get to do 'fun' stuff with her. I find it makes child care really challenging though. We have a close friend who's her care provider, which is great because she's really flexible. I don't know how it would work otherwise.

I'm actually seriously contemplating a switch to L+D nursing! I think it might be challenging to hear other nurses not be supportive of natural birthers but I hear a lot of un-supportive terrible comments about some of the trauma patients we have so I can't imagine it being much worse. I would eventually really like to get into primary care, possibly as an NP, and think that getting some womens' health experience in beforehand would be a good idea.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamacolleen View Post

I actually don't love my job right now. The hospital where I work is extremely focused on increasing patient flow, which is done to the detriment of patient care and nursing workload. Nurses on all the floors are really feeling the squeeze and morale is pretty low.

Yeah, we're actually going through a lot of this kind of cr*p as well.  I should say that I love the job of nursing, I hate the politics.  They've reduced our staffing and piled on all this awful customer service stuff that has nothing to do with good patient care and everything to do with increasing our rankings.  They seem to have lots of money to make it look nice around here but they run us short.  It's dangerous.  We have great staff retention and now nurses who have been here 20+ years are talking about leaving.  Your hospital sounds a lot like mine and it's heartbreaking to see it lose focus.  I think once the economy gets better we'll bleed out staff.   

My story of the week - my psych patient found scissors and cut his restraints off.  Whoopee!  :)   

Old 04-24-2011, 07:04 PM

Oy! I work in L&D, have for many a years. Maybe we are more crunchy, def. not subservient to the OB's. Birth plans are part of the medical record, we foster mother-baby care, no mandatory separation, getting the babes to recovery if mom had a section. Not to say we don't have our interventionism or national average c-section/epidural rates either. The way I see my role to laboring mothers and families is to advocate for what they want, not what I want. Love the natural birthers, but am supportive and encouraging if they want an epidural. Its their birth, not mine! Being respectful and offering differing viewpoints is OK, when done correctly. I do love it. Yes, my co-workers think I am 'more natural' but its all good. We are all different.

Great hours, great pay, lots of time at home (I work 3 days/wk).

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

Old 04-27-2011, 06:02 PM

Sorry I killed the thread. i seem to do that alot on MDCeyesroll.gif

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Old 04-28-2011, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

how did you kill the thread? it's slow in general since we're all workin' women.

My latest adventure was a IVDA pt. who was turning tricks in her room. smile.gif People amaze me.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:53 PM

LOL, I was in charge today, sucked, big time. But my  nephews mom was there visiting with my nephew so I got to see the awesome little dude. orngbiggrin.gif

Old 05-04-2011, 10:06 AM

I'm seriously debating if I want to be an L&D nurse because of my more "crunchy" views... decisions, decisions. I may go the cardiac nursing route, the heart is one amazing organ :) 

hola.gif
Old 05-04-2011, 11:04 AM

Being a crunchy L&D nurse is great because I get assigned the natural birth patients!!!!

Old 05-05-2011, 08:51 AM

I am working as a school nurse substitute. Love it. Definately, get a chance to share my crunchy ideas with students & parents. Plus, I couldn't be more flexible. However, the money is sad as a sub. Did cardiac/step down for 5 years. It was hard to leave the hospital, but now I don't think I would go back.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:12 AM

What a perfect thread. I'm entering the RN workforce next month with plans to start a family in '12 and eventually move to L&D. I'm honestly not sure what the general attitude towards natural birth are at the hospital where I'll be working, as I'm in school in NY and the hospital is in IL, but I look at it this way... if none of the other nurses there are as natural-friendly as me, imagine what the experience will be for the mama wanting the natural birth if she doesn't have supportive nursing? It may ideological at this point and I may be way out in left field, but I hope to be a good support for the mamas who need it.

RN (34), a bit of a treehugger.gif, fur mama to 3 cat.gif and 1 horse,with a wonderful, artistic hubby (41), married since 2004.

Mama to D.G., born 9/19/12 at 32w4d, who happily fly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIFfambedsingle1.gifcd.gifselectivevax.gifsigncirc1.gif 

Old 05-05-2011, 02:19 PM

Hi!  I'm an RN in 19 bed ED - we also have a 7 bed fast track.  I def. feel a bit isolated on occasion as I co-sleep, ext. breastfeed, etc. and I seem to be the only one.  I do love my job - it's stressful but fun and never, ever dull.  I am also the primary provider for my family - ~85% of our household income - I also work per diem in a smaller local hospital in their 9 bed ED, 5 bed ICU and 24 bed med/surg/tele floor - wherever I'm wanted! I work 3-13 hr shifts 630a-730p - if I work more than 2 in a row my kids get very squirrely (and husby, too) so I try not to.    

Sometimes I think L&D would be fun, but neonate codes are so so so awful, I don't want to do that too often and I'm a bit judgemental when it comes to circ/not even trying breastfeeding so it probably isn't the best match...

- A

Old 05-05-2011, 07:05 PM

I've been a nurse for 7 years and most days really like it.  I've worked as a camp nurse (which rocked!), as a med/surg nurse in a busy urban hospital, and now I work L and D.  It isn't always easy and the issues that previous posters talk about definitely come up--but really, for the most part, I don't think there are any more issues with nurses in L and D then there were in med/surg.  I don't expect to like all my coworkers.  And I absolutely don't.  But I do try to give them the benefit of the doubt.  With a few exceptions, they are in OB because they like birth; they like helping women during this transition.  Obviously, everyone has different ideas of the best way to help people, and it's hard in an institutionalized setting to deliberately put yourself outside it.   I think too, that I've learned a lot about pain vs. suffering and had to accept that for some people it truly is suffering and damaging to go through the pain of childbirth.  And I really do believe it's a wonderful thing that epidurals exist, though I still have major issues with the current OB system and standard of care.

Right now I work D/N rotating 12 hours shifts, and my husband works from home 10-15 hours a week, so he's our daughter "primary" caregiver.  It works for us right now, but my dream is to go down to a .4 or 5 and just work 1-2 days a week.  It would give me a place to get my birth nerd on but still let me be at home with my family for most of the time.

Mama to P. born at home 10/09, and W. born in the hospital 2/13

Old 05-07-2011, 05:43 PM

I am :)  Been an RN for 7 yrs now - I am blessed to work part time at a large suburban Children's Hospital - i am a peds RN. I only have to work 3 shifts every 2 weeks to get our family insurance (hubby is a minister)

I like being a peds RN - I am know on my floor as being the 'natural' minded nurse - my peers come to me for BF advice and have me see their patients as well (if lactation is not available :)

Old 05-16-2011, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

I have to say that I actually like all my coworkers. We are all different people and we bring different things to the party, but they are my family is so many ways. I think it has to do with secondary trauma - we work with a difficult patient population so adversity bonds us. They are my people.

I ended up being off work for two weeks entirely by accident! I took a couple days off then missed two shifts because of a nasty cold. Our campus will go entirely no smoking in a couple weeks which will be a huge shock for our patient population. I've explained to multiple administrators that I full expect something to be thrown at one of the nurses. Oh well. smile.gif

Old 05-16-2011, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

oh speaking of feeling out of step with coworkers, I recently had to reveal that I am still breast feeding my four year old when my patient had a chemo drug due. I got a few strange looks on that one. I think there were some assumptions that we were done with that.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:53 AM

I really like *most* of my coworkers too. there;s a few that I cannot stand, and just try to avoid....the rest of them are great

I had to spill the beans that I'm preggo to the CT scan tech when I took a pt. down, luckily, it was her the next time I went down and she hasn't seemed to have said anything to anyone else.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:13 AM

I love my co-workers too! It really makes all the difference in the world, especially since we rely on eachother in all situations.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammamo View Post

had to spill the beans that I'm preggo to the CT scan tech when I took a pt. down, luckily, it was her the next time I went down and she hasn't seemed to have said anything to anyone else.

Congrats! Is this your first? You don't have any kids listed in your footer. It's a true test of the body to do bedside nursing while pregnant. I only made it to 34 weeks then had to stop working because I was in so much pain. I admire those who make it to the end. When are you due?

Old 05-17-2011, 12:41 PM

No this is my third! (Surprise!!) It sucks to be a bedside nurse while preggo. I made it to about 39 weeks with my first and about 38.5 weeks with my second. And my second was 9#9oznut.gif I started having pubic symphosis with my second too, at about 20 weeks. I wouldn't have made it without my chiro (my knight in shining armour, LOL) Honestly, I must have looked miserable because my one night shift coworker would pass my 8 o'clocks before she left and they never bitched at me for sitting with my feet up orngbiggrin.gif

User Tag List