Just accepted a job offer and today I found out I'm pregnant! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-09-2011, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been a SAHM for 7 years (I have three kids). My youngest is 2 and I just started feeling the need to go back to work. So, I found a great job in my field working part-time (20-32 hours a week). I accepted the job last week, will start in 3 weeks. And today, after feeling funny this morning, took a pregnancy test. And it was POSITIVE!!!

Of course I know how babies are made, and my DH and I weren't using precaution. Partly because we've been undecided about a 4th child and partly because it was so dang hard getting pregnant with the first three (fertility treatments) that I *assumed* it would happen easily. We got pregnant 1.5 years ago with a 4th and lost it at 13 weeks. We tried for about 9 months after that and then just sort of moved on. 

So I am freaking out a bit here. I stayed home full time with my first three and....what am I supposed to do? Seriously?? RIght now I get pregnant? As soon as I get a job offer? 

I'm putting this is working parents because if I wasn't just offered a job I'd figure I'd be home for another couple of years. But I WANT this job. Of course I hadn't factored in working it with a 7yo, 5yo, 3yo and NEWBORN!

#2 of 6 Old 03-09-2011, 09:05 AM

I would just see how it goes.  Maybe you'll work for 9 months and then decide to stay home again; maybe you'll love the job and decide to continue to work part-time while someone watches the baby.  You may try it out being a WOHM and then realize it's not for you after a few weeks/months.  I don't see why you have to decide now.  I'd definitely keep the job, personally, and figure out what you'll do after the baby comes at a later time.

Congrats on both the new job and the pregnancy!

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#3 of 6 Old 03-09-2011, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congrats and the job and the baby!  I would just take the job and see how it goes.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#4 of 6 Old 03-09-2011, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses. That's pretty much what my sister said when I called her in tears. redface.gif For me, it was such a big decision to go back to work after 7 years anyway that having this thrown at me just sent me into a tailspin. But, yes, this baby won't come out for another 8 months...so I have time.

#5 of 6 Old 06-03-2011, 04:40 AM

I found out I was pregnant after I had just started my new job. It's sucks. I am working full time pregnant. I am hoping my husband gets a raise so I can stay at home after she's born . This is my 4th daughter! 

#6 of 6 Old 06-06-2011, 03:41 AM

looks like you already checked in and chimed in, but i just wanted to throw out there.....

definitely keep the job while you are growing this baby! it sounds like you were happy to be going back to work... and after being home and giving so much to your kiddos for the last 7 years, getting out of the house and being stimulated at work will likely feel really wonderful. it will give you some grown-up head space before you come back to being a newborn's mommy. then, feel out which way you would want to go from there....

good luck!

hang.gif  single, scholar, childbirth advocate mama goodvibes.gif + two lively, rambunctious, beautiful, insightful and whoa-spirited dds, 4.5 and 8. fencing.gif + a sweet chunky boy born august 7, 2011!  + .....our sweet old lady dog, 10 years young. love.gif   = one full cup 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page