I got in! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-29-2011, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I recieved an acceptance email to law school yesterday. Yay! Now I just have to hang on and not get TOO excited until I have some idea whether financial aid is going to be enough for me to be able to afford to actually go...

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#2 of 16 Old 03-29-2011, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratulations! I hope your award package is plentiful.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#3 of 16 Old 03-30-2011, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Congrats!

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#4 of 16 Old 04-03-2011, 12:38 PM

Saw this after I responded to your other thread!

Congratulations. I am sure you will make it work. I am also awaiting my scholarship packages!

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#5 of 16 Old 04-04-2011, 07:51 AM

Congrats!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed you get a great financial aid package! smile.gif
#6 of 16 Old 04-04-2011, 08:05 AM

Congratulations!!! That is a major accomplishment, I hope you did something fun to celebrate!!!
#7 of 16 Old 04-04-2011, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I got my acceptance packet in the mail. I was offered a $15K scholarship for my first year. But I have to come up with $250 for an enrollment fee by May 2nd. First mention of this fee was in the acceptance packet. I'm seeking a waiver of some kind and friends have offered on Facebook to chip in...

Right now we don't even have money for utilities. Life is crazy.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#8 of 16 Old 04-04-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravin View Post

Right now we don't even have money for utilities. Life is crazy.

Call your school's financial aid office (the one specific to the law school if its separate from the school itself).  They should be able to help you come up with something.

It is pretty standard though to have a "seat deposit" though, it ensures that students will show rather than responding to every school they get into.

#9 of 16 Old 04-04-2011, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, this was the only one I applied to; if I didn't get in, there was another one in the area with a much later application deadline I was going to apply to, and barring that, I was going to look at a different career field. I'm not in a position to move to a different city to go to school. Sigh. I'm going to the introductory event for accepted students this Friday; I'll talk to someone about it then if my email isn't responded to.

#10 of 16 Old 04-05-2011, 12:12 PM

I haven't been on MDC for a while but I have been lurking around this forum and wanted to say congrats!

I just got accepted to return to school to do a 1 year BEd program, and I am excited and nervous! I have a BA and a Master's in Library and Information Studies, but have been out of school since 2003 and out of the work force since I had my son in late 2006. Going back to school is going to be a big adjustment for all of us. I understand about the money thing! I am applying for a loan and scholarships/bursaries, and I hope something comes through.

I too have to mail off a deposit this week - mine's $200. Luckily I had it in savings. Getting the $4500 I need by August is going to be a bit more work though!

Looking forward to being in this forum more as September approaches - I'm going to need all the tips and support I can get from BTDT mamas. 

lemurmommies, loving wife to ruvalokiteshvara, proud moms to our intact son E (12/06), and mourning the loss of our daughter Noelle (stillborn 12/08).
#11 of 16 Old 04-05-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravin View Post

Actually, this was the only one I applied to; if I didn't get in, there was another one in the area with a much later application deadline I was going to apply to, and barring that, I was going to look at a different career field. I'm not in a position to move to a different city to go to school. Sigh. I'm going to the introductory event for accepted students this Friday; I'll talk to someone about it then if my email isn't responded to.

I totally understand that YOU didn't apply anywhere else, but most students do, and its very common to require a seat deposit to hold your spot.  You should call up the Financial aid office to see what they can do to help.

#12 of 16 Old 04-07-2011, 06:20 AM

Ravin, I'd do whatever it takes the get that seat deposit money. I know that is super hard when you're broke but if you don't know anyone from whom you can borrow I'd consider getting a credit card with a small $200 limit or selling something.  Your first avenue, though, is to call Financial Aid.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#13 of 16 Old 04-07-2011, 07:40 AM

Woo Hoo!! Congrats Ravin.  I hope you get that $250 or at least able to work something out with the school.

So exciting!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#14 of 16 Old 04-07-2011, 10:07 AM

Congrats!  I am also starting school soon, I'll be majoring in Psychology, specializing in marriage, family and children therapy!  Keep us posted on everything.

#15 of 16 Old 05-02-2011, 09:55 AM

Just paid a $400 seat deposit to my 3rd choice law school. It hurts! It hurts!

How did things turn out, Ravin?

#16 of 16 Old 05-04-2011, 09:14 AM

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

hola.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page