Those who 'love my job' what do you do? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 03-01-2012, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm a Breastfeeding Peer Counselor at WIC and I LOVE my job.  I'm passionate about my work, I have a fantastic boss and a good work environment.  I'm working towards becoming an IBCLC, and hopefully will have the opportunity to be a lactation consultant at WIC or the Health Department in the future.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 35 Old 05-16-2012, 09:02 AM

I'm a librarian, which is the job I always wanted, but it's actually even better than I thought it would be.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#33 of 35 Old 05-16-2012, 02:04 PM

Another librarian here!  I'm the Teen Librarian at my county's public library and I adore it.  It is a job I fell in to; for as long as I can remember I wanted to be a teacher and I did that for 3 years, but my heart wasn't in it.  I got beat down by all the testing and politics.  We moved to where we live now in 2008 and I worked part time at a pre-school, just for fun and because I couldn't find a professional job.  I happened to stumble across an ad for this job at a time when I needed to get back to something professional for financial reasons and when I was considering going to grad school.  The stars kind of aligned and now I'm working a job I love and working on my master's in library science.

I, too, adore programming!

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#34 of 35 Old 05-16-2012, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CI Mama View Post

I've worked a lot of jobs through the years. I would say that the good ones have all had the following in common:

* Great co-workers whom I respect and enjoy working with.

* Work that means something to me (not just "mindless").

* Flexibility that allows me to have a life outside of work, while still being passionate about my work.

I'm going to agree with this and I don't think the field matters. I am doing essentially the exact same thing I've done for the past 11 years. I absolutely loved my job for the 1st 7 years because it had all of the things CI Mama listed. I now work in an environment doing the exact same thing but for a giant company who neither values my work or cares to support my department and am looking at making a career change.

I don't think it matters what you do so much as who you do it for and who you do it with.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#35 of 35 Old 05-17-2012, 09:27 PM

I have had engaging jobs that were better than they were worse, but nothing where it all has come together with one pretty ribbon of satisfaction. I have worked part time, for a long time now, while finishing up school. I have been a teaching assistant for all different ages and in schools ranging from Waldorf to inner-city, to independent study based charter. I LOVE teaching, but the one thing I haven't been able to get away from is the piles of administrative doo doo that surrounds public ed. It is so bad that great teachers are leaving their profession to do other things.

I also do massage. When I dropped out of my masters program to go to school for massage I was convinced I had chosen my ultimate dream profession. But, alas, I was mistaken. Though I enjoy giving body work on my own terms, there is a heap of issues I have doing it in a spa, or trying to run everything myself. Not to mention that the wear and tear on my own body is much greater than I expected. Lastly, I have never jived with the massage community. I haven't found the healing tribe I belong to. My suspicion is that my tribe doesn't do this work for money, at least not enough to help sustain a family. Anyway, I went back to school.

So now I have a masters in the Humanities (an interdisciplinary degree that, for me, includes philosophy and history) and no job. Except for the one of love the bestest: being a mom!!ROTFLMAO.gifjoy.gifBut my days as a SAHM are nearing their end. I hope I can find a teaching position at a city college part time. Hopefully I will finally be able to teach my fav subject: critical theory/social/political philosophy and, at the same time, circumvent the annoyances and added pressures that full time faculty must deal with. Then I would be able to truthfully say that I love my occupation.

Its my super DH superhero.gif, my lovely DD jog.gif(11/15/11), ferocious Future Cat, and myself read.gif

familybed1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page