Students with nursling, current or former--need help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-12-2011, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm currently taking one science course, Anatomy. It's a 5 hr class twice a week with a 10 minute break in between, no time to pump. I feel like my supply has dropped, & I posted a thread in Breastfeeding for help.

The thing is, I am looking to take a summer science course. Either way, it's 5 hours, 4 times a week. Another lab & lecture combo with little/no break. Is this possible with a nursling? If so, any tips, btdt?

Baby won't be 1 until late September & I don't want to wean him before then--or even at that time--but how do I do this?

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#2 of 6 Old 04-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Banned

Can babe be brought to you to nurse? Either during lecture or on break? My dd can nurse much more in 10min than I can pump? Or... Are there other classes you can take and put this off till the fall?
#3 of 6 Old 04-13-2011, 11:41 AM

I started classes when DD was 3 months old, I had 6 hours of class with a 15 minute break. BUT the first class was a lab and routinely got out early so I would go pump in the bathroom. Not ideal, but we made it. It depends on how much volume you get. What was really frustrating was that sometimes I would get 2 oz, and other times 10 oz, and no way to predict how much I would end up with. That may have been because my pump sucked Sheepish.gif

You could talk to your professors, they would probably be understanding about you taking a longer break, leaving early or come back later between classes.

#4 of 6 Old 04-14-2011, 04:34 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I agree with Sfcmama - If someone can bring baby to nurse during that 10 min break, it would be ideal because it would save you the hassle of having to figure out how to pump.

If it's not possible,are there other times during the day that you can pump? That way you can build up a supply to leave at home for the times you are in class. I was often unsuccessful when I pumped between classes, so I usually also pumped 1st thing in the morning & also before bed (& sometimes at other times) -- that way, I always had enough to leave DS during the days when I was gone.

And if you can pump for even 5 or 7 minutes during the break, that would help you keep up your supply (& maybe get an extra couple of ounces). If you talk to your professor, too, you might be able to be excused if you run a little longer every once in a while.

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#5 of 6 Old 04-14-2011, 09:34 AM

Yeah, talk to the prof, and talk to the disabilities coordinator at your school (I know, you aren't disabled, but that person will be the one to get you excused from class for 5 minutes while you pump on break).  My school had a specific room that was designated as the "lactation" room and had a fridge and everything inside, and it was passworded so that there were only a few people who could get in.

You could also talk to the dean of students.

#6 of 6 Old 04-14-2011, 08:43 PM

Depending on how approchable your prof is, let him/her know you need an extra 5-10 minutes. I had to do this in one of my classes ( 4 hour night class) I told the prof I was lactating and expressing breast milk during the break, so I needed 15 minutes. I also kept the pump as put together as possible and I sat near the door ( for a quick getaway and an easy return) Also, pump right before and right after. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page