Full-time working mamas...do you do anything besides work & parent? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 05-05-2011, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love reading about everyone's challenges and hobbies here.
My hobbies had to take a cut but I still manage to squeeze a little me time in.
I love cooking and gardening but I make fewer fancy meals, and have more weeds now that we have DS. I did plant herbs this spring though.
I used to paint dolls and play piano but I haven't really done much since DS was born.
My one hobby that I'm holding onto involves our furkids - we have 3 border collies and I compete in agility with 2 of them, but I sort of view it as their activity, and I wouldn't give it up to be fair to them. I'm hoping that I can get my kid(s) involved in it as they get older as it is very rewarding. I take the dogs to class one night a week, and spend approximately one and a half weekend days at a trial each month.

Ironically, this is the first time in my life when I actually have the means to afford more hobbies, but no time at all - so of course I wishfully (or insanely) leased a friend's horse and try go riding, but the amount of time I spend with him is only a fraction of what I'm allowed to. Sigh...

sleepytime.gif
#32 of 48 Old 05-30-2011, 08:36 AM

I go to the gym, travel, have dinner/drinks with friends, and date. I am super busy but I believe in balance and happiness.

First-time mama due on Dec 3rd 2009!
Update: Baby girl born Nov 19th!
#33 of 48 Old 05-31-2011, 06:35 PM

Not right now, because I have been single parenting since fall.  Well, I do go to the gym...but I consider cardio an essential to avoiding heavy pharmaceutical intervention!  

But I would not trade this for the WORLD!

Mom to two terrific kiddos, affirming every day that the Universe is unfolding as it should and all is well...

#34 of 48 Old 06-01-2011, 03:57 PM

Not much.

I work (at a job that requires more than 40 hours a week - I usually work 9-4, come home and then put in 2-3 hours from 9:30-midnight after the kids are in bed, and an few hours on weekends). I come home and spend time with the kids. If I'm lucky/motivated, I'll have time for chores. I have a couple of volunteer things that I do -- both meet in the evenings once a month, and if they both fall in the same week, my kids are majorly unhappy. I do spend about 4 hours a month at my kids' school (luckily, my time is flexible at work, even though it's way more than 40 hours). I 'garden' but even that is less these days because ds really wants me to play baseball/basketball with him when I'm outside. He's not happy just puttering around. So, instead of a garden, right now we have a lot of dirt covered in weeds, and a few bare spots on the lawn at the pitchers mound and home plate. 

I'd love to join a choir and do music regularly. I thought I'd have more time when my kids got older. biglaugh.gifMy kids actually want to do activities. I've been praying for rain all spring because ds' baseball meets WAY too often. I can handle 2 nights a week. I cannot handle 4. And then dd has piano one evening a week and gymnastics. I want my kids to take swim lessons, but I can't find the time to enroll them!

My plan is to resurface when they're in high school. Or maybe college. Only 11 more years.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#35 of 48 Old 07-09-2011, 11:08 AM

This is really helpful. I don't have a lot of support locally from other moms who get it. I make time for fun when possible, but not working out, which is the main problem for me right now. I try to have a mantra of "this is just a chapter in my life". I know someday my kid will sleep all the time and never want to talk to me. Someday she won't want me to hold her all the time. This is the time for total attention, and I'll have the rest of my life for my own boring life. ha ha

#36 of 48 Old 07-10-2011, 05:35 PM

I do recreational level roller derby. Eventually, I would like to join a competitive team but I need more practice and I want the kids to be older. My sons are 2.5 and 8 now.

I also go camping and hiking with the family, bake a lot with my husband, read, follow music, go out with my husband on dates and exercise. We have done dance lessons and rock climbing lessons. We see friends and do multifamily game nights. Having a very supportive, competent husband and each of us only working a reasonable number of hours with shortish commutes facilitates this. If my husband worked a lot of hours or I worked a long hours demanding job, I don't think of if any of this would be possible.

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.
#37 of 48 Old 07-11-2011, 06:09 AM

i don't do much else at this point.  however, we set ourselves up (dh & i) for failure in this department.  dd is also <2 and demanding as hell, and i'm (hopefully still) preggo and don't want to do much else.

i do some crafty things.. quick things now, like sew a patch on a shirt for her.  i have started a quilt for her that isn't being worked on much.  i did cut all the strips and they're just hanging there, judging me, in the craft room that i only go in to get blueberries out of the freezer that's in there too...

i like to bake (which is not a hobby, more like a bad habit) and dd will tolerate this because she gets to help.  however, none of us needs more baked goods, and dd likes them a little more than is comfortable for me.  so... we're trying to limit that.  healthy muffins just aren't as much fun. 

we're kind of isolated and don't have much help with child care.  dh is home with dd while i work, so when i get home he needs a break from her and she needs me, so the idea of me getting time to do anything besides on the weekends when she's napping is pretty much out at this point.  eventually, she'll have a setup in the craft room of her own and hopefully she'll be interested in doing her own thing while i get to sew, but we'll see.  i don't have high hopes at this point, esp if the new baby is anything like she was... it will be another 4 years at least before i have time to do anything. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#38 of 48 Old 07-11-2011, 08:55 AM

Hmm this thread is very à propos for me right now because I'm in the "ebb" portion of my "hobbie ebb and flow". I generally have many hobbies, such as sewing, knitting, baking, writing, tango dancing...HOWEVER, DD (3) has been particularly challenging of late, and I've noticed that she needs a lot more attention/physical closeness, so I've scaled back a lot on my hobbies in order to devote some quality time to her. I have a very understanding and patient boss who lets me come in 30 minutes early a few times a week so I can take a longer lunch and *run* down the street to the local YMCA and take a class...so that takes care of working out...it's not perfect but for now, it'll have to do. ALSO, I've been struggling with chronic debilitating migraines which have basically left me useless and drugged up on some heavy medication, so between parenting, WOHM FT, single mommyhood, PT graduate work, and a very patient boyfriend, I've been SPENT.

I still make a point of finding some creative outlet in trying new recipes and even in the silly academic essays I write, because I know I am unhappy without them...and I do try to remind myself that though this is currently a "dry" hobby spell, there will come a time when I can indulge in my beloved tango dancing again, and perhaps some other new hobby that'll peak my interest...

#39 of 48 Old 07-11-2011, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I knit.  I used to do it more when I took the bus to work and had 3-5 hours of conference calls a week I could count on!  Now, I do it more late at night or early in the morning.

My kids are 5.5 and 2.  And I'm just now getting back to the gym. Out of necessity.  Working out regularly (5xs a week) was something I did pre-kid.  I also danced salsa several times a week and was in a performance group.  Won't be getting back to that any time soon!  But, I just had a miscarriage at 12 weeks, so, getting that weight off is a priority.  The kids will be going to the Kids Klub tonight at the gym.  Our little guy screamed his head off last visit over 6 mos ago, but he's going to have to adjust because my clothes don't fit properly and I'm not buying a new wardrobe.

I do go out with my girlfriends at least once a quarter as well.  Several of them are kid-less.

The one thing that has fallen completely by the way-side is my casual reading.  I cannot remember the last book of fiction I read.  And I used to regularly attend a book club.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#40 of 48 Old 07-12-2011, 08:32 PM

Hobbies?  What are those? 

I would have said gardening, but I wouldn't want anyone to see my garden right now...it's pathetic!!  I'm a teacher, so I've been off now for 2 weeks but I've spent every day either catching up on cleaning my house, or visiting my friends who I feel like I haven't seen since Christmas lol!  I work 1/2 hour drive from home and don't usually get home until 5:30, just enough time to make supper and get my DD off to bed....then I usually spend my evenings marking :p

DH and I have been talking about exercising for what seems like forever now, but honestly I will just get cleaned up for supper and notice that it's 7:30 and DD's bedtime so we never get to it.  The intention is there though! 

My hobby for the next 8 weeks will be to try to get a tan and finish the book I started last October....in September my life will be taken over by work again.  Good thing I love it!! 

#41 of 48 Old 07-16-2011, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

I've been at a work related conference for 4 days and it is the closest thing to a "vacation" that I've had since DD was born! (It helps that I like my work and there are a lot of interesting people at this conference.)

At the end of the day yesterday, I was "conferenced out"...I just couldn't talk to another person. So I treated myself to a solitary dinner.  Picture a homey little Italian restaurant with an old guy sitting on a stool by the door playing the accordion (no joke). I ordered a glass of wine and had the most amazing pasta with escarole & garlic. I read a magazine. It was AWESOME.

hakeber likes this.

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

#42 of 48 Old 07-20-2011, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I work 40 hours a week on the 10pm-7am shift. I'm also a birth doula and a student midwife.

2-4 days a week, I take the kids to the Y and they play while I get to exercise. I also blog (in signature). 

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#43 of 48 Old 07-21-2011, 10:53 AM

I definitely do more than work and parent, though it is hard to find the time. But I try :)

- I love live music and, especially during the summer, have a few nights or weekends where I go with friends to see a show or festival

-yoga and the gym

-hiking/camping. Though ds is often involved and that's fine with me

-working with Tarot cards and related things

-reading and browsing bookstores

-animal rights and vegan-outreach

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#44 of 48 Old 08-02-2011, 07:35 AM

I was a SAHM up until my son was 20 months, and have been WOH full time for the past two months. Neither situation was particularly conducive to having hobbies for me-- as a SAHM I spent almost all of my waking hours caring for my kid with maybe an hour break while he napped, as a WOHM I spend almost all of my waking hours working or caring for my kid with an hour long lunch break. smile.gif

I am finding time to read again, squeezing it in during lunch or after bedtime. I didn't have the mental energy for that when I was at home. And I commute via bike, which is a hobby in a way.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#45 of 48 Old 08-02-2011, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldandsleepy View Post

I was a SAHM up until my son was 20 months, and have been WOH full time for the past two months. Neither situation was particularly conducive to having hobbies for me-- as a SAHM I spent almost all of my waking hours caring for my kid with maybe an hour break while he napped, as a WOHM I spend almost all of my waking hours working or caring for my kid with an hour long lunch break. smile.gif

I am finding time to read again, squeezing it in during lunch or after bedtime. I didn't have the mental energy for that when I was at home. And I commute via bike, which is a hobby in a way.

Bicycle commuting is my "hobby" too! It is often the only time that I get to myself. And I really treasure that time. Plus the exercise has been great for me.

I treasure every minute that I can sit and read! Add a beverage, and I'm in heaven.

I do think that I appreciate those little moments waaayyy more now than I did before I became a mom.

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

#46 of 48 Old 08-17-2011, 09:17 PM

DS is four years old and I am *finally* feeling like I have a semblance of a life.  I do work full time hours lately, but not 9-5.  For us, they key is BEDTIME!  He goes down at 7pm and wakes up at 6am.  The key to my sanity is a pretty rigid schedule:  dinner, put DS to bed, work out, respond to messages and set up social activities, then spend about 3 hours on school. I wake up at 4:30 am and exercise.  Really, school takes up 99% of my free time, but I make the most of that 1%.  I spend my free time cultivating friendships, stealing DH away for a quick overnight somewhere, etc.  I don't consider cooking, reading, or gardening as hobbies, since those are things DS and I do together, so it's more like our special time together. 

Early Saturday mornings are reserved for dates with friends (pedicures, running together, etc.).  I love making time for my friendships and feel like it's time well spent.

No matter what, once a week I take three hours away from schoolwork, working out, etc. to focus on learning something new.  Right now I'm taking a pottery class once a week. Last spring it was glassblowing.  When the potter wheel class is over, I'll move to printmaking.  I've been doing this for a year now and have tons of incredibly useless skills but lots of new acquaintances and a greater sense of self-fulfillment.  My shelves are littered with things like lopsided bowls and deflated glass orbs.  lol.gif

If you have younger children and are feeling lost, just give it time.  They are less demanding as they get older and you'll eventually find time for yourself.   Let go of your guilt about not spending every moment with your kids- you need time for yourself, too!

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
#47 of 48 Old 08-25-2011, 06:36 AM

I have several hobbies: reading (which I can do while the guy is playing with his toys or napping), working out (his dad watches him early on weekend mornings so I can go to the gym or take a walk around the neighborhood), sewing (I do this every Sunday for while his naps), and scrapbooking (also done while he plays or naps) and shopping (I normally get my brothers to come over and babysit while I get out of the house for an hour or two on my own. 

I didn't get back into doing things for myself until the beginning of the year since it was all work and then home tending to the little one. You have to have something to decompress and remind you that you matter too. 

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#48 of 48 Old 08-25-2011, 02:25 PM

After work, besides cleaning, doing the laundry, cleaning up after the kids and pets, working on the house and yard, - (where do i stopnut.gif) I like to read books, take my kids to the park, go on picnics, and now i am adding going back to school to the list!  ------- Yes, I rockjammin.gifor am i just crazyduh.gif!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page