WOH families - do you have housekeeping help? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 05-08-2011, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

And by WOH I just mean any family where there is not a parent home during the day :)

I opened my eyes today after 9.5 months of just trying to keep myself and DS fed, dry, and rested and realized my house is disgusting.  And I'm feeling like the only  way I could even begin to keep up with the work is if I spent my entire Saturday & Sunday cleaning the place - and it's only a 2 bedroom duplex!!

So do you have housekeeping help?  How often?  What do they do?  If you don't, would you if you could?  And how old are your DC?

Mumma to DS July 2010 and expecting another baby boy late July 2012 belly.gif

#2 of 46 Old 05-08-2011, 01:39 PM

I'm home on mat leave but when I was working full time no, I didn't. However my son was older - he as 22 months old when I went back to work, and I had help for the first three to make the transition.

I did have a cleaning schedule and when we started off a lack of clutter, but the clutter got worse - something I'm addressing right now. My method basically is to clean either a room or half a room every night, and then use weekends for the other stuff.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#3 of 46 Old 05-08-2011, 10:04 PM

Yep. It is really worth it to me.  Our help comes bi-weekly.  I can stay fairly on-top of keeping our house de-cluttered on a daily basis, but scrubbing the tub and floors? Forget about it! Our cleaners scrub the kitchens and bathrooms, clean out our fridge, wipe the windows, vacuum, dust, and wash sheets & towels.  There really is not much better than coming home to a clean house. 

Kelly: Mama to a spunky, joy-filled DD kid.gif(10/04/10), and a loving wife to a music-making DH broc1.gif (07/14/07) We fly-by-nursing1.gifand familybed1.gif, and are just starting to TTC#2 dust.gifhh2.gif

#4 of 46 Old 05-09-2011, 04:42 AM

Yes, I have help.  Our nanny does breakfast dishes, folds our laundry, makes our bed in the am, and does light straightening during the day.  I also have people come twice a week to do the vacuuming, dusting, scrubbing out the bathroom and kitchen.  It's not really deep though, but it totally gets us through the week.  

I do the laundry, the shopping and meal planning, the cooking I share with my husband, and we split the deeper (very occasional) cleaning.  I also handle the major straightening and keeping our stuff in order. I also keep the kids clothes in season and the right size.  

We play on our strengths - he does a lot of other household management stuff.  We split pretty evenly, I think. 

But the basic housekeeping - neither of us has any inclination or control issue about who cleans the toilet - and we are blessed to have that taken care of.  

I will do this as long as we can afford it.  My kids are 3.5 years and 16 months.

Lizbiz, wife to my man who makes me smile, and mom to one bouncy boy (08/07), one sassy girl (12/09), and one sweet new boy (08/12).

#5 of 46 Old 05-09-2011, 06:19 AM

No.  I've never had any housekeeping help and my kids are 9 and almost 5.  And if I could afford it, no I wouldn't. 

#6 of 46 Old 05-09-2011, 07:32 AM

Yes, someone comes every other week for a "deep clean." We keep things clean and picked up in between. It's great.

#7 of 46 Old 05-09-2011, 07:52 AM

No, we live in a co-op apartment (although it is fairly large) and DH and I have managed to split a lot of the basic stuff.  It generally takes me about 20 minutes to clean the bathroom on Sundays.  DH cleans the kitchen floor on Sunday evening and while he does that, I vacumn the whole apartment.  DH does the dishes that have collected in the sink every morning before he leaves for work, and I do the evening dishes.  I tend to dust only when I see dust.  LOL.  We usually weed recyclables together (DD has tons of fun doing the shredding) and she is old enough now to assist us with stuff.

I can't say that we're perfect housekeepers, but I really can't see the point in having hired help to assist us.  It is just built into our weekly routine and I think that maintaining a schedule of doing things is really helpful.  Now that the weather is nicer, we are less apt to be in the apartment during the weekend, so we really don't have a lot of messes to deal with anyway. 

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#8 of 46 Old 05-09-2011, 09:53 AM

No, it's just me and DS in a two-bedroom apartment, so it's not too much trouble to keep it relatively clean. I wouldn't mind having someone come in every two weeks or so to do some deep cleaning, but I'm in grad school so money's tight enough that I'd rather do it myself. That said, if BF and I get married and we're living in a house together and both working, I would really be inclined to get a cleaning service.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#9 of 46 Old 05-09-2011, 10:03 AM

I'm a nanny and I do basic housework when I'm not with the baby (putting away laundry, dishes, picking up, sweeping, watering the plants etc..) and it seems to be a big help for the parents who both work. The dad once said, "I know when you've been here because I don't have any chores" :)

I say anything you can afford in terms of help would allow you to relax more and enjoy your time at home. 

Amber ******

Birth Doula, Placenta Encapsulator, & Birth Photographer in Southeast Michigan

http://gentlebirthwithamber.sharepoint.com

#10 of 46 Old 05-09-2011, 10:37 AM

Yes, we have a house cleaning service come every two weeks. They do the floors, dusting, bathrooms, kitchen. If I could afford it I would have them come weekly. We keep up in between and do a deeper clean of every room once a year. DS is two and we have another on the way. We had the house cleaning service when it was just us two, neither of us enjoys housework.

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

#11 of 46 Old 05-09-2011, 10:50 AM

Once we were able to afford it we hired cleaners to come every 2 weeks. They clean the bathrooms, kitchen, dust, vacuum, make the beds, and do some straightening. It really helps and I have more energy to organize and declutter when I'm not stressing over dust and dirty showers.
We have a 16 MO and 3 active dogs in a 3 bedroom house and it gets dirty with dog hair and covered up with baby toys very quickly.

sleepytime.gif
#12 of 46 Old 05-09-2011, 10:59 AM

We've had housecleaners on and off.  We don't have anyone currently and the level of dust is really beginning to bother me and I have no idea when we'll get around to doing the deep clean that is so essential.  One of the other benefits of having some help with housecleaning is that I found it would motivate me to get the house really straightened up and clear out clutter before they came so they could do a good job on surfaces.  Right now without any cleaners we have more clutter as we haven't been "cleaning for the cleaners".  It is expensive though...

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#13 of 46 Old 05-09-2011, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I :heart: my cleaning ladies.

When it was just me and DH we were able to keep reasonably on top of the grime ourselves.  After we had DD that went totally out the window, and I sat up and looked around one day when she was maybe 7-8 months old and realized the house was disgusting and there was no way I was ever going to get it livable by myself, never mind maintain it that way.  So I hired a cleaner.

They come 1x/month for us - I'd love to have them every two weeks but it's just a little too pricey.  So I still do the bathrooms (badly), we both sweep/vacuum as necessary, etc., mostly on the weekends - but it's OK if I do a fast/bad job because the cleaning ladies will make it all nice again the next time they come through.  They do a great job - I'd never do half as good a job as they do even if I had the time; I just hate cleaning and want to get it over with.

By the way, ITA that having them come really gives me incentive to keep the clutter down so they can actually clean.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#14 of 46 Old 05-09-2011, 01:13 PM

Yes, we have a cleaning lady come every other week.  It's a lifesaver.  They do the deep cleaning, mop floors, scrub bathroom, change all sheets, dust, etc.  We only have one child, she's three, and we have a very small 2br condo.  It's so worth it.

Rachel, mom to Eliana (age 3)
#15 of 46 Old 05-09-2011, 01:45 PM

DH and I both WOH about 50 hrs/week. We do not have housecleaning help.

We had somebody come over to clean twice about 4 years ago, and I loved AND hated it. She did a much better job on some things than I could do, and I did love how great the house looked. But I apparently have some issues because I felt terribly uncomfortable and embarassed having "Help." I'm all for it for other people, and I love the IDEA of it; but the couple of times I tried it, I just couldn't get over myself. So no, even if we could afford it, I can't see getting regular housecleaning services.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#16 of 46 Old 05-09-2011, 02:09 PM

Yes! 2 hours every Friday to clean our 2 bathrooms and vacuum/mop the floors (2/3 wood, 1/3 carpet) in our 1500 sq foot house.

We've been doing it for about a year now after arguing about the division of household labor for about 8 years. Technically, it's dh's job to look after cleaning but I always ended up doing it since my threshold for dirty toilets is lower. Marriage saver!! It's just enough to take the edge off the home drudge but not as personal or expensive as having someone deep clean our entire home. We are super neatniks and control freaks and fond of our privacy so don't trust/want too much household help, if you know what I mean. But it buys us an extra couple of hours to play with the kids or attend to our laundry and is a perfect balance for us.

We've been thinking of asking her to throw another hour in weekly to do a little laundry and maybe some dusting/kitchen but it's really not that hard for us to keep on top of the rest. It was the toilets and floors that we just really couldn't ever seem to find time for.

Mother of two since 2007 and 2009. Hoping third time's a charm in 2012.

#17 of 46 Old 05-09-2011, 03:43 PM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

No, we do not.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#18 of 46 Old 05-09-2011, 03:49 PM

Nope.  I've been going it alone for a loooong time.

#19 of 46 Old 05-09-2011, 04:34 PM

Yes, we have a a service that comes every two week.  I no longer WOH but we still have the cleaners. 

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#20 of 46 Old 05-09-2011, 05:51 PM

I did when my daughter was a baby, but not now. And my house is a disaster most of the time. Mostly because I have far too much stuff in my small house.

Working mama treehugger.gif to K energy.gif (2/2007) and A diaper.gif (6/2013). Expecting stork-suprise.gif EDD 10/7/2014.
#21 of 46 Old 05-10-2011, 08:38 AM

We used to have a wonderful woman for years, she did a fantastic job but experienced health problems that prevented her from working.

After she got sick, two things happened at the same time - her daughter took over her job and the clutter in our house started to grow.  I ended up letting her go because I was spending HOURS prepping the house for her arrival (by prepping, I mean putting away cr_p so she could actually clean) and even with me leaving in the house in a "ready to clean state" she wasn't doing a good job.

We would very much like to get someone to clean again but for a number of reasons, we arent' quite there yet in getting a new person.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#22 of 46 Old 05-10-2011, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Lots of really interesting replies!!

I am in the process of setting up a consultation and really hoping it goes well.  I am away from DS enough during the week and I really would like to have the time to do stuff with him on the weekends.

#23 of 46 Old 05-10-2011, 09:14 AM

At the moment no because I'm not getting paid for my work irked.gif (eventually I will be paid retroactively but it won't be for at least two months so we're counting every penny we have in the meantime!!). However, once I start getting paid we're going to have a cleaning lady come in probably once a week!!! joy.gif I can't even tell you how overjoyed I am about that. I was a WAHM pretty much the first two years of DD's life and the house was a mess! We have since moved and pretty much have nothing in our apt at the moment so cleaning is pretty easy but it's extremely annoying because DH has dust allergies so we need to deep clean the apt at least once a week. I can wait to no longer have to do that! orngbiggrin.gif
#24 of 46 Old 05-10-2011, 11:10 AM

OMG yes.

We have someone come for 4 hours a week. She cleans the kitchen and bathroom top to bottom, dusts, straightens and does floors in the dining room, living room and family room, and cleans two long wooden hallway floors and a large wooden staircase (we have a large Victorian house). She doesn't do the bedrooms or laundry because I feel like I can manage those, or the windows, because there are many and they are large so we just do them twice a year when we are swapping out the storm windows/screens. This way we keep the cleaning costs manageable.

As previous posters have noted, one of the great things about knowing that our cleaning person is coming is that I get on myself and everyone else to put our stuff away and declutter surfaces before she arrives, so she CAN clean when she gets here. We only have her for 4 hours, and I don't want her to waste her time doing the everyday; I want her to do the deep cleaning that I really hate doing.

Also, as I have pointed out to my friends who give me a hard time for using a cleaning person, given my work schedule (50+ hours/week and frequent travel out of town), my family time is really precious. I'd frankly rather hire someone to clean my house so I can spend time with my family, than hire a babysitter or put my kids in front of the TV, or give up precious "couple time" in the evenings, so I can clean house, KWIM?!

I also recognize that I am lucky enough to be able to afford to do this. That said, I would give up a lot (and at times I have) in order to continue to afford it, because having cleaning help so greatly contributes to our quality of life.

#25 of 46 Old 05-10-2011, 11:40 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We have a weekly housekeeper. She does all major cleaning, changes the sheets, but does not do laundry. Probably the absolute luxury I would ever get up. For us, it is sanity saver. Before we had kids, it was every other week. Our house just gets so dirty with small kids. Dh does a big laundry on the weekend and we do diapers throughout the week. Our nanny folds the laundry and puts the kid's laundry away./

#26 of 46 Old 05-30-2011, 08:32 AM

I am desperately looking for a house cleaner!

DD is 18 months and my condo looks a hot mess right now! I find it overwhelming sometimes. I am debating whether to do monthly or biweekly. Does anyone know how many hours of work (biweekly) is standard for a 2 bed/1 bath? I miss coming home to a clean house.

First-time mama due on Dec 3rd 2009!
Update: Baby girl born Nov 19th!
#27 of 46 Old 05-30-2011, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCMama01 View Post

I am desperately looking for a house cleaner!

DD is 18 months and my condo looks a hot mess right now! I find it overwhelming sometimes. I am debating whether to do monthly or biweekly. Does anyone know how many hours of work (biweekly) is standard for a 2 bed/1 bath? I miss coming home to a clean house.

It varies from place to place & person to person, I'm sure but we have a 2 br 1.5 ba duplex and our cleaning person is here for 2.5-3 hours every other week.

#28 of 46 Old 05-31-2011, 06:32 PM

I used to, but then our finances crashed and thereafter I left my now-ex...it DID help a lot, I would rather be with the kids than doing the big chores (but keeping up with the little ones is both comforting...and I do it the way I like.  That said, once I emerge on the other side of this tunnel my hope is to get someone to come in every other week to do the heavy lifting again...

Mom to two terrific kiddos, affirming every day that the Universe is unfolding as it should and all is well...

#29 of 46 Old 06-01-2011, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

If I ever can afford it I will DEFINITELY be finding help taking care of our house. I don't function well with as much clutter as we have & yet I can never motivate myself to spend my free time cleaning it up. Also, I am a perfectionist, so cleaning any room is like a 1 hr-plush chore for me... time that I simply don't have. I keep telling myself that we need a system for the clutter, but my brain just doesn't function that way... I make piles of things & piles turn into clutter & clutter hides lots of dirt.

It's funny because this should really not be a problem: DH sees clutter & I see dirt, between the two of us, you'd think we'd have it all taken care of... but the reality is that we both much prefer making messes with our son (or leaving the house) than cleaning up said messes.

For the rest of the summer, I'm home with DS, so I do find I'm more able to take care of household chores. But when I start working... we will need serious help!

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#30 of 46 Old 06-02-2011, 06:29 AM

Yep, my husband and I both work > 50 hrs a week and we have a maid service come once a month.  We straighten, vacuum, dust on the 2 wk in between, but they do all the bathrooms, kitchen floor that I just wasn't getting to.  I can manage laundry, my husband does dishes, and we both pick up, but it was stressing me out that we couldn't get to some of the deeper cleaning.  We decided that it was worth the money to be able to spend more of our weekends playing and doing activities with our son than cleaning.  We still don't tell his parents though, because they are cheap and wouldn't understand (his mom has never worked outside the home and doesn't understand why our house isn't spotless and thinks it must be my fault, even though I'm the primary earner).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page