What jobs don't require you to deal with people? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 05-08-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have realized that, while I can mostly play it off and get along with people and even be "good with people," it requires a lot of energy that I don't have and don't want to waste. I cannot deal with gossipy women at all. I have no interest in talking shit about people or being judged. I have way too much stress in my life to ever want to create any kind of drama (I honestly don't understand how anyone would want to do this). So, I'm realizing that, to reduce stress in my life, I really need a job where I deal very little with people. Where I can do my work on my on. I do like getting outside to and not being stuck in one place all day every day. I really do need some fresh air and sunshine, but I'd be okay indoorsfor a while. I have a four year degree (English), but I am just so confused now about what I actually can do (both in what I'm actually qualified for and what I actually want to do). Okay, my kids are just not letting me do this so I have to cut it short, but I hopefuly I explained enough for some kind of response. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 34 Old 05-08-2011, 01:27 PM

how about technical writing? Or, translation if you speak any other languages...

sleepytime.gif
#3 of 34 Old 05-09-2011, 05:46 AM

I think it will be hard to find a job without much people interaction.  But maybe try to find a quiet environment to work in - maybe something you can do from home to minimize contact with others.  Graphic design?  But really, even then - you have to deal with your customers.  If you just want to avoid an annoying office atmosphere, then maybe working at home is for you. 

Good luck!

Lizbiz, wife to my man who makes me smile, and mom to one bouncy boy (08/07), one sassy girl (12/09), and one sweet new boy (08/12).

#4 of 34 Old 05-09-2011, 06:02 AM

technical writing or freelance writing that you could do from home, working in a greenhouse or landscaping center, working on a local farm doing harvesting, research. My dh is involved in research and while there are som politics involved with the organization, his actual day to day job can be fairly solitary. And not lots of gossiping women-or women at all for that matter =P. BTW I totally hear you on that issue. I have no more patience for workplace drama after my last job =).

Mamma to dd1 3/8/07, one 9.5.08, and dd2 9/9/09
#5 of 34 Old 05-09-2011, 06:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

If you want a part-time job, you could be a Lionbridge internet assessor.  (Leapforce offers similar jobs, and I think I've heard you can work as many hours as you want with them - with Lionbridge 20 hrs/week is the max.)  Here is a thread about it.  I work for Lionbridge, and I've never spoken to another person as part of the job or the hiring process, not even by phone.  All communication is by email.  It's somewhat enjoyable work, too, or at least not unpleasant.

#6 of 34 Old 05-12-2011, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your responses and ideas. I really appreciate it. I've never heard of Leapforce. I don't have home internet access though. :(

#7 of 34 Old 05-12-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Soltera View Post

Thank you for your responses and ideas. I really appreciate it. I've never heard of Leapforce. I don't have home internet access though. :(

I work for Lionbridge, too, but you do need home internet for the job.

Like you, I'd prefer to work as alone as possible so I've been looking into this as well. My BA is in English and I've considered going to grad school to enter a field where I'd mainly be doing research. Lingusitics, maybe?  Good luck

Gazing furtively at you from under my siggie!
#8 of 34 Old 05-13-2011, 12:47 AM

On a farm? Plant nursery? Jobs with animals? Teacher at elementry school? ..ok some adults you would be in meetings with or at lunch time in the teacher room, but most of the day is spent with the children (who imo much better company! lol same with animals) Um what else....postal worker would be pretty solitary delivering mail to houses on your own, I've seen a few women doing this job lately. That's all I can think of right now. Any help?

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

#9 of 34 Old 05-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Banned

Not all office stuff is that full of drama.  There are some corporate or desk jobs where you can minimize your interactions with people.

For example, the woman who does our budgets rarely interacts with people.  She comes in, keeps her head down, does her job, and goes home.  She obviously has to interact with people but she is all business, gets the info she needs, and goes back to her desk to do stuff.  

I also think that office drama gets exaggerated.  I don't like my corporate desk job for a lot of reasons, but the people is not one of those reasons.  I actually like the people I work with.  Maybe not people I would choose as friends but we have enough in common that we get along pretty well.  We don't have a lot of petty backstabbing stuff.  We talk about our kids a lot.  

I think you can find your niche in a lot of situations.  

#10 of 34 Old 05-13-2011, 09:15 AM

The most solitary job I ever held was a back room cash job for a big department store. I got to the store at 5 am, and locked myself into the big vault. I opened the safe, counted the money & balanced the tills, then, just before the store opened I replaced all the cash drawers with new floats. I left the store by 9 am. I kind of liked it. I could play whatever music I wanted and, given the absolute 9 am deadline to finish, the pace was fast, which I enjoyed. I have an English degree too. In my experience, English majors often do administrative type jobs. 

The second most solitary job I had was, ironically, working in a large office doing admin work for a bank. I was surrounded by hundreds of people, but there was so much work to get done, everyone was just kind of nose-to-computer all day with very little chance for interaction. 

As far as disliking work drama, I hear you. I personally think the best way to handle it is simply never engage. Be assertive of your own rights when required, but never get involved in bashing someone else, no matter how much they might annoy you and how much the venting might feel great at the time. Save that for your family. Just kidding. Kind of ;)

Hope you find an awesome job!

#11 of 34 Old 05-13-2011, 09:58 AM

I've had a couple jobs unpacking books for bookstores. You are in the back room, opening boxes, making sure the books on the invoice are there, checking them into the computer inventory if you have one. Paid minimum wage though.

I sold vegetables at a farm stand one summer in college, read books 90% of the time, besides a few transactions. Was paid only commission, in cash. Best summer job ever!

But I agree not all offices are filled with gossipy women. I've definitely been in some that are--and I've left and gotten a different job. I work in an office with 12 people now (college administration) I can talk to people if I want, or close my office door and just work if I don't want.

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
#12 of 34 Old 05-13-2011, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all your replies. I forgot to mention I am a completely solo mom so the hours have to be school/daycare hours. With that situation, the earliest I can start is 8 and the latest I can go is 5:30. I also do not want to have to dress super nice every day. Maybe I'm just way too picky and have some serious social issues. :/

#13 of 34 Old 05-14-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:

Thank you so much for all your replies. I forgot to mention I am a completely solo mom so the hours have to be school/daycare hours. With that situation, the earliest I can start is 8 and the latest I can go is 5:30. I also do not want to have to dress super nice every day. Maybe I'm just way too picky and have some serious social issues. :/

One of my daycare moms works in a children's hospital that cares for kids who have drown, but survived.  None of them are aware of their surroundings at all...most of them never really wake up.  She has to take care of some of their needs, but doesn't interact with them at all, and the parents are rarely there.  The nurses are busy and she rarely talks to them either.    

She works 8:00-3:30.  

#14 of 34 Old 05-14-2011, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:

The most solitary job I ever held was a back room cash job for a big department store. I got to the store at 5 am, and locked myself into the big vault. I opened the safe, counted the money & balanced the tills, then, just before the store opened I replaced all the cash drawers with new floats. I left the store by 9 am. I kind of liked it. I could play whatever music I wanted and, given the absolute 9 am deadline to finish, the pace was fast, which I enjoyed. I have an English degree too. In my experience, English majors often do administrative type jobs. 

My sister has this job at a Sears. She has a bachelor's in Political Science.  lol.gif  Similar experience.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#15 of 34 Old 05-15-2011, 01:36 PM

I am the Executive Director of a small non profit and I actually don't have any office gossip stuff to deal with since I have learned the staff really isn't eager to socialize with the boss (me) and that's fine. Granted I deal with funders, community folks, etc but most of my day to day work unless I am in meetings is spent by myself. It's got its ups and downs but management in a smaller non profit is fairly solitary.

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#16 of 34 Old 05-16-2011, 11:42 AM

I kind of agree that it sounds like a bigger problem with your organization than with you personally than people. Keep looking for a job with more substantial and less petty people. I will also add that if you want to avoid pettiness and gossip, my mother (a former elem. school social worker) would advise you to stay out of elem. school - contrary to pp's advice. Nothing against teachers, and as the SW they were probably drawn to my mom, but she found them to be gossipy, shallow and petty at her school. She couldn't STAND the teachers lounge.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#17 of 34 Old 05-17-2011, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sure you won't be suprised to learn that I work at a school then. lol 

Can anyone tell me what the best way to look for a job is? I try the city/county, even state pages (I'm in CA), and other job websites, even Craigslist. It's pretty frustrating.

#18 of 34 Old 05-18-2011, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinak1977 View Post

how about technical writing? Or, translation if you speak any other languages...

I am a translator & this is just FYI, since others may come to this thread looking for the info. Translation might be a good choice given the requirements posted by the OP, but you do need reliable, at-home Internet access (pretty much impossible to do this job anymore without it), good computer skills (ability to learn and keep up with new software), and you do have minimal contact with people - I e-mail people every day and have the occasional business phone call, but rarely meet clients in person. It's tough to get your foot in the door, so it's not a path I would choose casually. However, it's great for people who want to have their own WAH business & have the requisite skills.

PS Mama Soltera - I hear your pain. I worked in a very dysfunctional office before starting this freelance gig & for the first EIGHT YEARS of working by myself at home, I did not miss people/the office environment AT ALL. LOL

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#19 of 34 Old 05-18-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:

I'm sure you won't be suprised to learn that I work at a school then. lol 

Can anyone tell me what the best way to look for a job is? I try the city/county, even state pages (I'm in CA), and other job websites, even Craigslist. It's pretty frustrating.

The best way to look for a job is through networking. Let everyone reasonable know that you are looking to expand your horizons - try to keep this secret from your school. Do you have resume or 1-page document describing your skill set? It's good to get that out there. Do you have a degree? You might check the career center from your school if you do. Keep your eyes and ears out at places YOU do business and places you pass. Start to chat up people. another story from my mom - this was  years ago. She went to an office building near her house and started at the top floor and asked everyone there if they needed any help. She finally found someone on the bottom floor who thought God had sent an angel in my mom. Mom wishes she had started at the bottom first. Anyway, jobs aren't really applied for in-person anymore, but you can sure network for the contact. then you will likely need to go to a job site and apply.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#20 of 34 Old 05-18-2011, 03:17 PM

My sister has the same issues, where she doesn't like working with people.  She's OK with co-workers and bosses, but can't stand dealing with clients and customers.   She does Data Entry, which simply requires sitting at a computer and entering numbers.  It's not the most exciting work in the world, but she makes a good living and can keep to herself.

#21 of 34 Old 05-19-2011, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I do have a BA in English. It seems like college degrees are kind of worthless now. :(  I have been sending my resume out. Many places, but I'm hearing nothing back. And everyone told me it was such a great resume.

I'm not skilled enough in another language to do real traslating unfortunately. I just feel so stuck. And it seems like every kind of job (I looked into data entry too -- although I can't stand sitting in front of a computer for too long) requires years of experience. How do you ever break into something new? Especially when you are already so busy and have your kids full-time?

Ellien, I have been hearing that networking is the best way to go in this economy. I don't have very many people to tell though. I'm also not very clear about exactly what job I'd be willing and able to do. What exactly should I say to people? Thank you for your help!

#22 of 34 Old 05-24-2011, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Are any of the online job search websites really good? I've been looking for a job online for a while now and haven't had any luck.

#23 of 34 Old 05-24-2011, 05:44 PM

I hate office politics, too. For me, the best situation has been to work in environments where I was not in the same place too often. I am a nurse practitioner, so for me this meant working for a facility that had several offices. I was part-time and floated between the sites. I got to know all the staff, but was never in one place long enough to get sucked in to the gossip. I actually had 2 positions like this simultaneouslywith 2 different organizations, so my hours were nearly full time. The downside to part-time is no benefits, of course. 

Trying to get my bearings...
#24 of 34 Old 06-01-2011, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing your situation. I like not being in the same place too much also. I would like to work from home. Can anyone tell me more about the requirements and income levels for that online place to work? I'm willing to get internet and pay a little extra every month if it means I'll be happy!

#25 of 34 Old 06-01-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Mac View Post

The second most solitary job I had was, ironically, working in a large office doing admin work for a bank. I was surrounded by hundreds of people, but there was so much work to get done, everyone was just kind of nose-to-computer all day with very little chance for interaction. 

As far as disliking work drama, I hear you. I personally think the best way to handle it is simply never engage. Be assertive of your own rights when required, but never get involved in bashing someone else, no matter how much they might annoy you and how much the venting might feel great at the time. Save that for your family. Just kidding. Kind of wink1.gif

Hope you find an awesome job!

I had a similar job at a health food store. The first half of the day was just like you described. I did have some employee interaction because I was also the payroll person and store level human resources person (so handling new hire paperwork, sometimes sitting in on terminations when a "witness" was needed, processing applications for benefits, answering benefit questions and handing out contact numbers), and I also did light administrative work (filing, answering emails, occasional word processing, answering the phone, etc). I had very little customer contact (awesome!) and managed to stay out of any drama that happened. I also have a degree in English.
#26 of 34 Old 06-03-2011, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

This is a bad time to go job-hunting.  I'd focus your energy on retraining your reactions to the office crap.  Don't join in, don't criticize, be relentlessly positive and kind.  At worst, you'll feel better and pPeople will likely stop trying to involve you in their crap.  At best, maybe you'll inspire a change the workplace tone yourself!

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
#27 of 34 Old 06-04-2011, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Caregiving, I work alone and only see my coworkers when we are switching shifts

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#28 of 34 Old 06-11-2011, 07:11 PM

I too was an English major, with a communications degree as well. I work for a daily newspaper. I often joke with coworkers that I work nights because I hate regular people. They all laugh... and then say, "Huh. Me too. Never thought about it."

I do page design, so it's a lot of computer work. Not so much inter-personal stuff. But I work nights. And many larger paper chains are consolidating their design staff to cheaper "hubs," which means some time this year I'll be layed off. Which I'm looking forward to, actually, and hope it's sooner rather than later.

But other jobs, like copy editing and reporting, can be day jobs. And while reports do deal with people, it's a lot of phone work these days, and it's small snippets of people's lives, not catty office politics.

Actually, i've never worked at a paper with the problems you've described. Try to ignore it. Rise above it. Put in headphones and don't pay attention to the gossip.

#29 of 34 Old 06-29-2011, 01:38 PM

i have an English undergrad degree. 

i also worked in the public school system in an elementary school and it made me hate people too, briefly.

have you thought about graduate school?  i don't know if you're a tech-y kind of person, or if you live near a large university, but you might think about library school and some of the technical librarianship or collection development paths.  i worked as a cataloger in a university library and i practically never interacted with another human being (and could hear only coughs from other cubicals). 

you could possibly even have better luck getting a job as a library tech with just your BA-- skilled staff in the library are respected and sought after.  there are lots of staff who work in cataloging, tech services, acquisitions, etc.  and don't interact with many people/the general public.  librarians and library workers for the most part are an odd bunch, mostly weirdos interested in doing their own thing and not being mean to each other.  but that might depend on where you go, i have met some folks who weren't fun to work with, too. 

most of the jobs i refer to only happen in larger towns with larger university libraries, though.  if you go small town, then the librarians & staff do more general work, have crossover, and interact with the public.

check this about the job prospects http://stats.bls.gov/oco/ocos316.htm     and http://librarysupportstaff.com/jobdescriptions.html#jobs 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#30 of 34 Old 07-25-2011, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
What about lab work in sciences? My job as an andrologist/ART was quite lonely. Locked in my little office all of the time with minimal interaction. It's something to look into if you like healthcare/science.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page