Reassure me please! Benefited vs casual position- LONG - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-12-2011, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I went from part-time to per diem a few months ago. I have felt like it was a huge mistake ever since. DH talked me into it, reasoning  that I would need more time at home when we started homeschooling in the fall. Well, I have continued to work nearly the same amount of hours (we need the money), at the same hourly pay, only NOW with no eligibility for insurance and no accumulation of vacation hours. I thought I would have more control over my schedule, but I actually have less, since as a part-timer, I was able to self-schedule and sign up for my favorite days and favorite coworkers, while as a PRN, I end up having to work the dregs days that no one else wants to work.

My PT gig only required me to work 18 hrs per week in order to get health insurance and other bennies. That is a SWEET deal.The health insurance at work is way better than DH's. I want another baby, and we can't afford the huge deductible with our current insurance, but we could easily afford it if I went on my workplace insurance. I would hate to limit our family size just because our insurance sucks.

I basically have been kicking myself ever since giving up my part-time spot. duh.gif

And the kicker is that, as a PRN nurse, I never get scheduled in the department that I was trained for; I am always the backup for that department, and work in my secondary dept. So, even though I still work the same amount of hours, I feel like I am losing my specialty job skills, and that worries me. A lot.

I haven't said anything to my boss, because at the time, she gave me several chances to back out of my decision, and I didn't think the hospital would open another spot for me. This week, I finally got to work in my specialty dept again for the first time in forever. It felt so right to be back there. I vented to a coworker about how stupid I felt for giving up my benefited position, and she advised me to approach the boss about it. I had planned to talk to Boss-lady next week, but apparently news travels fast, because the boss called me at home last night to ask if the rumors were true about me wanting to go PT again, and offered me my old spot back. I told her I would tell her next week. I'm so happy. love.gif

I feel like this is a no-brainer decision, and a second chance. DH doesn't like me working, but he's not willing to get a job that pays more than poverty level wages, so I need to work this amount of hours for us to stay afloat, whether he likes it or not. I may as well get the better health insurance, benefits and better job outlook while I'm at it, right?

Pros: Everything. Working with my fave coworkers, more control over my schedule, insurance, PTO, sick time, less need for babysitter due to less weekdays....

Cons: Disagreeable DH (he'll get over it), and a few extra hours of on-call time.

ETA: Another con is having to pay out $300+ per month for insurance if I carry it, vs no monthly premiums at all with DH's insurance. But my insurance doesn't have a deducible bigger than my bank account like DH's, nor does it risk disappearing overnight due to DH's boss being too broke to pay the premiums (has happened in the past).

No-brainer, right?

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2011, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I think no-brainer, at least for this point in your life!  PT sounds much better to me.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
Old 05-12-2011, 11:32 PM

No brainer! Go for it mama! It sounds like a much better situation and a happier place for you. thumb.gif

sleepytime.gif
Old 05-13-2011, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! I just did the math to make sure I wasn't underestimating how this would change my work schedule. I averaged out my hours per week when I was part-time, and now that I'm PRN. Yeah, I only average 3 hours per week less now, which means the only change would be one extra 12-hour shift per month if I go back to part-time. One extra shift per month, to earn health insurance and vacation time and 403b and assorted other bennies.

Definitely worth it.  biggrinbounce.gif

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
Old 05-15-2011, 06:31 AM
CEG

Usually PRN employees get paid more per hour because they get no benefits.  I made $40 an hour PRN with no benefits while my peers made $22-30 or so.  Have you explored the pay issue?  Maybe if your hourly pay was higher it would be enough of a difference to put you over the top.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:17 PM

I'm a big believer in going with what makes you the happiest professionally.  In my own past, I've gone with the "other" option and regretted it every time.  If this position gives you more (working in your field, with people you enjoy, doing things you like, with benefits, and not much difference in hours/pay), I say to go for it.  thumb.gif 

If your dh doesn't like it, he needs to (re-)evaluate his priorities.  Perhaps a conversation with him about long term goals for your family, what makes you happy, and what you both need to do to make those goals a reality is due.  I'm having a series of these conversations with my dh right now, and while they aren't comfortable conversations, they are necessary for the health and well being of our family.

Best wishes to you in your decision.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:31 AM

I think you've made a great decision and it's great that you can go back to PT. As for insurance, would it be better for DH to insure himself under his insurance and you and the kid(s?) under yours? We did this for  years because my insurance was "employee plus 1" and DHs company paid for a portion of empolyee (but not family) premiums. It was only when we had 2 kids did it make sense to switch DH to my insurance. Employee plus 2 coverage = family coverage, so it wasn't more per person.

congrats on the new (same old) gig.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input and good wishes, everyone!

CEG, as far as the pay per hour, I get paid exactly the same PRN as I did PT... that's a grrr issue in itself. So basically being PRN was a pay cut.

Dmitrizmom, yes we are definitely long overdue for discussing this in a realistic way. I've been broaching this subject a lot lately. :)

EllienC, I'm planning to put all of us on my insurance. DH's insurance has very inexpensive premiums, but it's also anyone's guess whether or not we will still have it from one month to the next (unstable small business). It will cost the same whether it's just me and the kids, or all of us, so I may as well add all of us.

I talked to my boss again last week, and I will officially be PT again in a couple of weeks- I just have to add 3 hours per week to the next schedule to qualify again. It definitely feels like the right decision. :)

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984

User Tag List