Returning to work (20 month old) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-20-2011, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My former employer who laid me off right around when my son was born has hired me to come back to work to fill a temp position (7 weeks). It's not ideal by any means at all, but it could lead to something if I do an awesome job and we will need the money when unemployment runs out.

We've got two kids (44 months and 20 months). My daughter has attended daycare before and so my worry right now is mostly DS related.

Aside from one consulting event (3 days and 2 nights), I've never been away from him for more than a few hours. I've always been available to him (boob-wise) and he uses them all the time for comfort and to fall asleep. We do not have any set nursing schedule and so I'm worried how to proceed. He loves food and will eat and drink well during the day so I know he'll be fed well. As far as pumping is concerned... as soon as he started eating so much solids I dropped to pumping once a day before bed. The most I can get from both breasts is 1/4 to 1 ounce.

I'm not sure if the position I will be in will have a dedicated lunch hour (some positions I've worked in you eat lunch at desk)... so I need to try and figure out what to do in the milk category as well as figure out how to work with him to lessen the emotional blow to him. He is still completely MOM-centric.

As for the emotional transition... I start on Monday and my husband is off all week to help the kids transition. The caregiver is a mother of a kid in my daughters school. My daughter's gone there (small in-home montessori) for a year and so at least it's a familiar face.

Anyone have some sample schedules between my husband and I that we can attempt next week to ease into things? (ie., playdate 2 hours Monday after school, 3 hours Tuesday)

User Tag List