How to fire a live-in nanny? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-30-2011, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone had to fire a live-in nanny before?  Ours is under the live-in caregiver program and I'm not sure if she has somewhere else to go (I know she stays in the city about 45 minutes away most weekends, she says her agent has a house there converted to kind of like a "hotel" with tons of bunk beds and that she pays a per-night rate to stay there). 

She has TONS of stuff, as in she arrived with about 4 suitcases, plus 3-4 bags, plus toiletries, etc.  I would imagine it would be hard to take all of that on the bus/train and I can't see that she could manage it herself.

I don't really feel comfortable having her in my home after I've terminated her, but I also don't feel right about telling her and expecting her to leave on the spot.  I've thought about telling her on a Friday and then giving her the weekend to move out (meaning I'd be home while she did that and she'd have 2-3 days).

Anyone have any experience with this or ideas on how to do it?

TIA.  I hate this part of having a nanny.   :-(

#2 of 6 Old 05-30-2011, 12:01 PM

What does your contract say?

If she is being fired for "cause" then I would fire here and tell her she has x amount of time to have her belongings removed from the home. She should take what she can with her immediately and then arrange a time that is convenient for both of you to get the rest. You could also take the liberty of packing up her stuff for her prior to the firing. If she gone most weekends you could use that time to pack her belongings so they are ready go. 

If the firing is not for cause you may be required to give her some kind of notice. Most contracts have some kind of stipulation built in for termination of employment for any reason other than cause. However if yours does not then you have to decide what you are comfortable with and it sounds like you want her out of there. If that is the case I would either do what you suggested (give her the weekend) or terminate in the AM and then offer to arrange transportation of her things to the city that afternoon. Do you know someone with truck, minivan, large car who would do this for you either as a favor or for a small fee?

Obviously, no matter the reason for the firing, you will need to change your locks, alarm codes and if applicable, notify any place that she had permission to pick/drop of your child (play places, parents of regular play dates, schools, etc) and any place she was authorized to speak for your child (Dr, dentists, etc). You will want to do all that immediately. 

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#3 of 6 Old 06-03-2011, 11:37 PM

call her agent/ the agency? Tell them the situation and ask the best way that it is done.

Mothering my sweet preschool boy luxlove.gif and my new arrival bfinfant.gif

#4 of 6 Old 06-11-2011, 05:50 PM

When I fired one nanny I gave her "two weeks notice" by paying her for 2 weeks and telling her not to come back. I didn't want her in the house or taking care of the kids (she wasn't live-in) after I fired her. You can do this as long as you are in accordance w/ her contract and have a replacement for your childcare needs.

Good luck.

#5 of 6 Old 06-15-2011, 12:30 PM

Ontario Labour Standard Codes apply, so there are rules you have to follow about how much notice to give her, pay in-lieu, etc. I'm sure the agency already knows this stuff, but just in case, here's a link to the Code - it lays out all the rules for firing an employee: http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_00e41_e.htm

Good luck, that's a tricky one. :)

#6 of 6 Old 06-30-2011, 09:34 PM

I think packing her stuff would be incredibly invasive and inappropriate.  Even if the OP doesn't want her around, she seems to still want to be respectful and considerate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

What does your contract say?

If she is being fired for "cause" then I would fire here and tell her she has x amount of time to have her belongings removed from the home. She should take what she can with her immediately and then arrange a time that is convenient for both of you to get the rest. You could also take the liberty of packing up her stuff for her prior to the firing. If she gone most weekends you could use that time to pack her belongings so they are ready go. 

If the firing is not for cause you may be required to give her some kind of notice. Most contracts have some kind of stipulation built in for termination of employment for any reason other than cause. However if yours does not then you have to decide what you are comfortable with and it sounds like you want her out of there. If that is the case I would either do what you suggested (give her the weekend) or terminate in the AM and then offer to arrange transportation of her things to the city that afternoon. Do you know someone with truck, minivan, large car who would do this for you either as a favor or for a small fee?

Obviously, no matter the reason for the firing, you will need to change your locks, alarm codes and if applicable, notify any place that she had permission to pick/drop of your child (play places, parents of regular play dates, schools, etc) and any place she was authorized to speak for your child (Dr, dentists, etc). You will want to do all that immediately. 

Amara ~ Married to my HS sweetheart, we're having a blast with baby Z (1/29/2011)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page