Anyone EBF while working? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 07-13-2011, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been either working full time/student part time or vice versa since DS was six months old; he's now three and weaning is definitely a long way off... I pumped (often in the car, bracing the flanges against the steering wheel to have my hands free to eat or write... steering wheel and dashboard would end up splattered...) until he was about eighteen months, when he lost any interest in breastmilk that didn't have the breast attached and developed a taste for raw cow's milk in a cup. He's never had formula. I'm so grateful to know that there are so many other moms who've done this! I'm so grateful, too, to know that I've given my son what I believe to be his birthright (human milk for the duration of time that it's biologically normal) and practice AP in general, even with the demands of our very not-biologically-normal modern lifestyle. I think that for working moms who are on the fence about the commitment this takes, the reduced illness rates, because of the antibodies etc., are an especially beneficial advantage when you have to be at work or school- my son is almost never sick, even since starting preschool, and when he is, he bounces back so quickly, meaning not only does he feel better, but I miss way less work/class...

#32 of 37 Old 07-17-2011, 01:48 PM

Well, dd is now 7 and weaned, but I nursed her until age 4, and was a WOHM the whole time. By the end, she was only nursing 1x a day (mornings when she woke up). I weaned her at 4 because dh really needed her out of our bed (and so did I, because she'd kick all the covers off when she was hot, which meant that she spent a lot of the night kicking us)). I think she would have nursed until 5+ if I'd let her.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#33 of 37 Old 07-19-2011, 06:49 AM

I nursed my 5YO until a couple of months ago, and am still nursing my 2YO.  I've always worked full time, so after I stopped pumping for the kids (around 1 YR for both), we just nurse after I pick them up, at bedtime, and sometimes in the morning.  This has worked pretty well for us.  None of my friends at work have nursed for more than a few weeks after birth.  I don't really advertise the fact that they've been nursing so long.  Probably should though, maybe it would help convince people that it is more normal. 

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

Computer Engineer- I write better in 1's and 0's. ;-)
#34 of 37 Old 08-02-2011, 10:59 AM

I WOM full time and am still BFing my 14 month old DD and will continue to do so as long as I can or until she's ready to wean herself. I still pump at work as well.

#35 of 37 Old 08-02-2011, 11:00 AM

That should be WOH, not WOM :)

#36 of 37 Old 08-02-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post

I think that for working moms who are on the fence about the commitment this takes, the reduced illness rates, because of the antibodies etc., are an especially beneficial advantage when you have to be at work or school- my son is almost never sick, even since starting preschool, and when he is, he bounces back so quickly, meaning not only does he feel better, but I miss way less work/class...

This is such a good point. I experienced this, too. You'd think that employers would catch on and bend over backwards to accommodate pumping and encourage extended breastfeeding. But sadly, that doesn't seem to happen.

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

#37 of 37 Old 08-08-2011, 04:48 AM

I am a medical resident and still nursing my 19 month old.  Cosleeping and night nursing helps us stay connected when I work long hours.  I stopped pumping at 13 months, except for when I'm working more than 14 hours--and that's just to keep up supply and stay comfortable.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page