Anyone EBF while working? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 06-02-2011, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is anyone else working (full-time or part-time) while extended breastfeeding?  My son is 3.5 yrs old and I feel like I'm the only person I know who both works outside the home full-time and is breastfeeding a child this old.  I have lots of LLL friends nursing this long, but they are all SAHMs; and I have lots of working mom friends, none of who breastfed past 1 year.  Anyone?  I'd just love to have a buddy! (Cross-posted in Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy)

#2 of 37 Old 06-02-2011, 06:57 AM

I'm your buddy lol!  My DD is almost 4 and I WOH.

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#3 of 37 Old 06-02-2011, 12:32 PM

I will be your buddy too, I WOH full time, and I am still BFing DS who is 26 months old. I am hoping we can nurse through my pregnancy.

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

#4 of 37 Old 06-02-2011, 04:05 PM

I work full time outside the home (librarian) and I'm still nursing DD who's now 18 months. Not a long time at all but I am still pumping at work. I never thought I'd be nursing/pumping this long! We had so many problems at the beginning. I am thrilled! And so is DD.

Mom to DD 12/2009; married to wonderful hubby 1/07.
#5 of 37 Old 06-02-2011, 04:20 PM

I'm breastfeeding DS who is 23mo and I'm 30wks pregnant with #2.  I WOH FT, but I don't pump at all. DS drinks formula from a bottle during the day while I'm at work and nurses in the morning, at bedtime, and sometimes during the night.  He nurses a lot more on the weekends when I'm home.  I also plan to tandem one the new baby makes an appearance.  I really want to wean him off the bottles before the baby comes even though I have no intention of weaning him from nursing.  Anyone have any experience with weaning a nursing toddler off the bottle, but not the breast???

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#6 of 37 Old 06-03-2011, 06:13 AM

Well we did it earlier than 23 months, because our daycare requires them to be off the bottle before they can move to the young toddlers room, which may have made it easier but here is what we did.

We started by giving him water in a sippy cup, then once he was use to that I started sending BM in a sippy cup and they gave that instead of a bottle. It was actually really easy. Around 15 months or so I stopped sending any BM (because I stopped pumping and had worked through my freezer stash) and he had whole milk while he was gone during the day and still nursed on demand at home. Now he nurses just at night and in the morning and drinks milk, water, and some juice while at daycare out of a regular cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egmaranian View Post

I'm breastfeeding DS who is 23mo and I'm 30wks pregnant with #2.  I WOH FT, but I don't pump at all. DS drinks formula from a bottle during the day while I'm at work and nurses in the morning, at bedtime, and sometimes during the night.  He nurses a lot more on the weekends when I'm home.  I also plan to tandem one the new baby makes an appearance.  I really want to wean him off the bottles before the baby comes even though I have no intention of weaning him from nursing.  Anyone have any experience with weaning a nursing toddler off the bottle, but not the breast???

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

#7 of 37 Old 06-03-2011, 07:01 AM

Hi Dakover!  DD is almost five, but she breastfed until she was about three, and I went back to work full-time when she was four months old.  I pumped for about year, and then she breastfed only at home.  It worked out well for us, but by the time she weaned, I think I was ready for it.  Sorry to say, but there came a time when I just wanted my boobs back and I think that she began to lose interest too (I think there was very little supply in the end).  I don't know if any of my WOH moms took the same path, as I was always fairly private about that stuff. 

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#8 of 37 Old 06-04-2011, 04:55 PM

Us too! DD will be 3 in September and is still going strong in the nursing arena.

Mama to DD : 09/08
#9 of 37 Old 06-04-2011, 09:31 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Both my kids were EBF while working full time. DS self-weaned at 22m. I pumped until 18m (bonus points!) but he pretty quickly weaned after I stopped pumping + I was pregnant. I was really sad.

DD is 22m and still going strong. I cosleep still and that seems to help. Pumping was much harder for her and I had to pump a crazy amount to keep up. I still pump at work (yes, 22m) and she still drinks expressed bm mixed with some cow's milk now. She still has it in a bottle, which I don't care about. She only ever has them when I am gone so the number is pretty limited. I might make an effort to ditch them after I stop pumping if I feel like she needs a supplemental milk when I am around. My kids don't have bottles around me, ever.

I don't really consider 22m "an older nursling" but in the realm of wft it probably is. I have mixed feelings about true CLW but I am really pleased that she is still nursing and I will be very, very proud if we make it to two.

I still dream of #3 and not working ft. I never ever want to see a pump again.

(I am a librarian, too. Must be all that smarty-pants research we are capable of...)

#10 of 37 Old 06-05-2011, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

So good to hear from everyone and in all kinds of places too!  I pumped until about 18 mos the same way a lot of you did, and then switched to just nursing in the morning and at night (and ALL weekend).  I know it's probably a private thing and I don't hear about many, but I'm just surprised there are so few of us out there.  My husband and I are thinking about getting pregnant again, so it's good to hear the weaning stories too.  Not sure if DS will wean while I'm pregnant or will end up tandem BFing...we'll see!

#11 of 37 Old 06-06-2011, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I went back to work when each of my children were 6 mos old.  I exclusively breastfed them until 12 mos.  I hang up the pump at 12 mos!  Then, my daughter continued to nurse until she was 34 mos and I was 2 or so months pregnant with ds.  I am now 10 weeks pregnant and ds is showing no signs of giving up the boob.  He's 26 mos old and still nurses mornings and most nights.  He just night weaned the month before his second birthday.  I work full time out of the house as an attorney.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#12 of 37 Old 06-06-2011, 12:02 PM

I BF my daughter until she was 4.5 yo (and in day care still)  when I mommy-led weaned her because I was really done then. I'm now BF my son who is 14 months. We'll keep on until one of us is ready to quit.

I didn't have much trouble weaning her from the bottle only. It was kind of a day care thing anyone (no need for one at home). And they just sort of phased it out. I don't recall it being any issue at all.

Like others, I was pretty private about it at the time, although I'm a bit more vocal now about my daughter.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#13 of 37 Old 06-06-2011, 02:59 PM

I BF my 16 month old and will until after shes 2.  i stopped pumping a couple months ago though

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#14 of 37 Old 06-07-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunmom View Post

I went back to work when each of my children were 6 mos old.  I exclusively breastfed them until 12 mos.  I hang up the pump at 12 mos!  Then, my daughter continued to nurse until she was 34 mos and I was 2 or so months pregnant with ds.  I am now 10 weeks pregnant and ds is showing no signs of giving up the boob.  He's 26 mos old and still nurses mornings and most nights.  He just night weaned the month before his second birthday.  I work full time out of the house as an attorney.

This is what I hope to do.  My ds is currently 8.5 months old and my plan is to quit pumping after his first birthday but to keep nursing him whenever he wants while I'm at home.

Perhaps I'll be joining this thread officially in October!

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#15 of 37 Old 06-07-2011, 06:27 PM
~pi

I've been WOH since DS was 6 months. He's nearly 5yo now and has nursed through all sorts of WOHM issues, including a heavy travel schedule for the last two years and half of a pregnancy so far.

Welcome to MDC!

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#16 of 37 Old 06-08-2011, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Good to hear from the last few of you who've posted!  I travel occasionally for work, but usually for pretty short trips and I actually brought my fam with me on one of the trips and made it into a vacation.  Also good to hear from you ~pi that your DS is 5 and still going thru another pregnancy so far...that's what I'm hoping for!  Thanks everyone!

#17 of 37 Old 06-09-2011, 04:17 PM

DS1 got bottles of formula at daycare (I was never a great pumper), but, we nursed at home until he was around 3...when I believe he self weaned...I don't even really know when he stopped lol...it was like I just suddenly realized it had been a month or more since he had asked to nurse; I asked him if he wanted to and he said he didn't! LOL

#18 of 37 Old 06-10-2011, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Wow! Good for those of you who pumped past a year. I was so ready to be done pumping... I think at 11 1/2 months I started sneaking some cow's milk in with my breast milk... I was THAT ready to be done with the pump! I cringe thinking about that torture device...

Luckily, DS continued to nurse happily after I stopped pumping & is still nursing at 26 months. I'm home more now (working part-time until I start a new job in the fall), so he seems to be taking advantage of that & is nursing a lot during the days. I don't see it stopping anytime soon, especially with a number of transitions coming up (moving, new job for mama, just growing). We'll see!

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#19 of 37 Old 06-10-2011, 01:20 PM

egmaranian, we tried to shift him to milk in the sippy and he would have none of it! So we subbed out BM for cow's milk in the bottle, and then moved him on to the sippy a few months after that.

#20 of 37 Old 06-11-2011, 05:34 PM

I went back to work at 7 weeks PP with my first, and she nursed till 20 months, when I was in my first trimester with my second. She was just done, and so was I. I pumped until about 18 months, found out I was PG and stopped, she quit soon after that. She had been down to nursing once a day at that point anyways.

With DD2 I went back to work at 11 weeks PP, and she's 2.5 and still nursing once a day. I stopped pumping months ago, and she still nurses to sleep for her nap. (I work nights.)

My coworkers had NO IDEA what I was doing, where I was going, what was in my bag... maybe they were just clueless young/non-parents, but really, no one cared, noticed or said anything, ever. And we have an open, no cubicle desk farm office, so everyone sees everyone's coming and goings.

My employer was VERY helpful, providing a dedicated, discrete, locked space with a couch, table and mini fridge, near the ladies room. If I didn't have that lactation room and HR's and my boss's blessing to pump whenever and how ever frequently I needed to, I never would have made it to 18+ months with either of them.

To get them off the bottle, we went cold turkey with both. With DD1 we went on vacation and told her we didn't bring any bottles, and she took milk in a sippy and was fine. She had been drinking water in sippy for months and milk sometimes, too, without a problem. We just switched fully to sippies. With DD2, DH was home with her (again, I work nights, and she was down to one before-bed bottle) and was emptying the dishwasher when he pulled out a bottle, smelled it, was grossed out, let her smell it - and that was the end of bottles for her. We let them both have a bottle well past the one-year mark that peds recommend taking them off bottles by. Neither was ready to give up the bottle at age 1.

#21 of 37 Old 06-13-2011, 09:13 PM

I nursed DD1 until she was 4.5, then I mommy-led weaned her. I had a second child, and tandem nursing, working full time, and pumping meant something had to give. She was actually pretty easy about it. I only pumped for 11 months with DD1, then she had water at daycare and nursed at night. She reverse cycled until she started STTN at age 2.5, so I never worried she wasn't getting enough.

Thankfully I stopped leaking after about 18 months, and gave up nursing bras for regular undergarments shortly after that, so the "evidence" for EBF was never obvious to my coworkers. Now, of course, I have a new little one, so leaks, nursing bras, and pumping are once again in evidence. I'm not sure we will make it as long. I'm about to hit 5 years of nursing non stop, and honestly I would like to have my boobs back. But I'm committed to go at least another year, until DD2 is 24 months. After that we will just have to wait and see.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#22 of 37 Old 06-14-2011, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

went back to work when dd was 3 months old, pumped till dd was a year old, milk dried up when dd was 3 years old and she finally stopped 'nursing' when she was 8.5 years old - which means recently. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#23 of 37 Old 06-17-2011, 07:39 AM

I went back to work when my daughter was 6 weeks. I pumped, and she obligingly reverse cycled. At 6 months my husband started supplementing with formula when she started asking for more milk during the day than I was pumping. At a year I stopped pumping. We are still going now at just about 2. She still has a bottle with Dad -- giving it up would mean my husband giving up his "nursing" relationship with her. (They always bottle nursed.)

I'm an academic and the only woman in my department to have a child. (90% of the men have kids, funny that.) So there really isn't any precedent or expectations. Of course, being an academic with a flexible schedule and a private office made pumping relatively easy.

toddler.gif

#24 of 37 Old 06-21-2011, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you for sharing your stories!  It's great to hear from you!

#25 of 37 Old 06-22-2011, 04:37 AM

We just recently weaned and my daughter is a little over 18 months, I pumped until she was 13 months, which was plenty long enough! I work full time (went back when she was 4 months) and do quite a bit of day trip traveling and took my pump with me on several trips. Some places actually have some nice breastfeeding/pumping rooms, but if not, there is always the car. It really helped that I have a private office with a door that shuts, mostly we keep our doors open all the time, but being able to shut my door 2-3 times a day and keep working if I needed to helped tremendously. And when I was having low supply times, I could close my door for most of the day and do some power pumping. My boss' wife pumped milk for her preemies several years ago and he is an engineer, so he was checking out my fancy new pump and comparing it to the huge hospital rental one she had. It was amusing smile.gif But yeah, one other baby got breastmilk at daycare until about 6 or so months old and judging by comments made by the daycare workers when I mentioned I was still breastfeeding, I don't think anyone else had been for quite awhile (or at least wasn't admitting to it which I can understand as I think a lot more people EBF that folks realize but don't talk about it).

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#26 of 37 Old 06-26-2011, 06:10 PM

Hiya buddy! :)  I went back to work at 12 weeks with both kiddos, and they are both still nursing (4 - VERY occasionally and 2 - whenever/wherever).  I stopped pumping between 15-18 months and just worked through my freezer stash, so they had frozen mommy milk until around 18 mos (baby)  - 2 years (big girl).  Basically stopped pumping when I got to the "I will smash this pump with a hammer if I have to look at it one more time" stage, and it worked out well for us :)

I believe the only reason we've been so successful is the fact that my children are less than 5 minutes from work and I was able to nurse on my lunch hour.  Despite employers who believe they are lactation/pumping-friendly, they definitely were NOT and gave me a pretty hard time about pumping, how long, how often, using the refrigerator for storage during the day, etc.  

BTW, I always feel so alone, almost like I have to keep it a secret that I'm nursing TWO older kiddos.  Glad there are others out there!  Especially working moms!  I know how hard you all have had to work to keep nursing, to be nursing as long as we are as WOHM's is truly a blessing.

#27 of 37 Old 06-28-2011, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you for posting!  And I hope that someday we're not the handful of moms breastfeeding this long while working outside the home! (And that we don't have to be so secretive!)

#28 of 37 Old 06-30-2011, 10:44 AM

Another Ebf-er and WOHM. Like several others, I'm in academia and in a majority female and very supportive dept, so pumping at work was never a problem for me (so thankful!). I did quit pumping at the end of the school year when DS was 13 mos, and it didn't seem to make a differeance the next year--DS never took a bottle at DC anyway, so pumping for me was mainly a supply thing. I'm 28 weeks pregnant now and my milk is gone, but DS is still nursing to sleep at just over 2 years old. I'll be interested to see what he does when the new LO arrives!
#29 of 37 Old 07-03-2011, 12:09 PM

I'm a teacher and still nursing my dd who will be 5 in a month and ds who is 8 months today.  I went back to work when dd was 6 months and this time when ds was 5 months.  I pump at work which is mostly ok but sometimes I have a crazy schedule (I'm a special needs teacher and there are days when I am not in the building) and don't manage to pump.  I usually carry a handpump on those days and manage to fit in a few mini pumping sessions.  I have had a few days where I have to get up at 4am to try to pump for the next day.  DS doesn't really drink much from a bottle so I may not have to pump too much when I go back after summer.  We'll see. 

#30 of 37 Old 07-08-2011, 01:21 PM

Still working, still nursing my 20 month old, but I'm pg again so I don't have much milk.  I quit pumping when dd was 13 mos old, and she made up for this by nursing frequently at night.  We night weaned when she was 18 months, much to my relief.

I'll pump and work with this little one, too.  I have my own office, so it's not a problem for me to do so, though.  It's reassuring to know I'm providing nutrition for my baby while I'm working!

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page