What to wear to a job fair? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-08-2011, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have no dress clothes.  I have been a SAHM for 5 1/2 years and have to go back to work.  greensad.gif

There is job fair I am going to next week.  I have no idea what to wear.  Skirt and blouse with flats?  I do have flat black shoes dressy shoes.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#2 of 10 Old 06-08-2011, 09:18 AM

Is it an industry specific job fair or one w/ lots of different businesses?

While looking,cneat, clean and put together is a given in almost any field I ask because if it is industry specific you want to dress in a way to conveys you get the business. Showing up at a super casual internet start up/creative interview in a suit/tie says you don't get it. In the same way that someone who showed up at my old company (corporate retail) for an entry level job wearing jeans, sandals and t-shirt or a skimpy sundress didn't get it.

If you aren't sure your best bet is go pulled together, business casual. Clean white blouse/knit top, cardi, skirt and flats would be great. Simple jewelry/accessories.  Color is good but not over the top . Also- what you carry is important too. Nothing too big, too sloppy, too beat up. You will be handing out your resume so the focus will be on that when you do.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#3 of 10 Old 06-08-2011, 09:33 AM

Kat- I also want to say that you start all these threads with a big frownie face. I know how you feel and its hard.  But.... (don't you hate the buts) you need to make sure you are prepared to be positive during this process. You need to be prepared to answer questions about why you want to go back to work. Wanting more $$, a bigger home with a washer/dryer, etc is huge motivation for you but might not be to a potential employer. I am not saying you need to lie but you do need sell yourself too.  Its not only what the company can offer you but what you can bring to them too.

I interviewed a woman who had chosen to stay home with her kids for about 8 years. She had about 15 years experience in the industry before leaving and but had done little to stay current. It didn't take long and some simple questions to discover that she didn't want to go back to work, she just needed the money.  She was in fact extremely upset and angry about "having to work" based on the way she answered the questions, even with a smile on her face.  She was very pleasant and personable but reading between the lines it was obvious she was not happy about doing this and she was really just looking for a paycheck and had no desire to to do anything more than that. That was not what I needed at the time and I had over 30 resumes for the one job so I could be selective. 

Good luck next week!

#4 of 10 Old 06-08-2011, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

This is for a Senior Living Community (individual apartments to assisted living to dementia).  Which will be opening late August/Early September.

I was thinking a black skirt and a blouse.  For interviews maybe with a jacket?

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#5 of 10 Old 06-08-2011, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

It is nerves.  I am nervous about getting back into the swing of things.  The other thing is frankly my lack of confidence in myself (something I fight with myself all the time).  I think the lack of confidence is the bigger problem of the two.  Maybe I need to start a confidence thread.  LOL

Suggestions on gaining confidence in myself?

#6 of 10 Old 06-08-2011, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

No more frowns I promise.thumb.gif

#7 of 10 Old 06-08-2011, 11:16 AM

Hey frown all you want here!!!  We got your (cyber) back!!

I think the outfit sounds good, you could wear the jacket either way but conservative is good for a senior living place.

In term of confidence I would start practicing your interview skills now.  Do you have a someone who will come role play with you or maybe do it over the phone.  Your confidence will build once you practice. Also, as bad as it sounds, the more practice you get the better it will be so even if you don't get the very first job you apply for look at it as a learning experience.

Also it sounds stupid but have you shook hands with anyone in a while? I never do now that I am not working.  If you haven't, have someone check your handshake.  Should be firm but not bone breaking.  Make sure you make eye contact. At a job fair these people could see a ton of people. You want to make a good first impression.

I googled "top interview questions" and found these sites.  Write down you answers and practice them so they sound natural but you are prepared so no umms, awkward pauses. etc.  Then give the questions to a friends and have them rephrase them so you can answer them all smoothly and easily.  Even if none of these questions come up the process of thinking about your answers and feeling comfortable will do loads to improve your confidence!

http://www.collegegrad.com/jobsearch/Mastering-the-Interview/Ten-Tough-Interview-Questions-and-Ten-Great-Answers/

http://www.bspcn.com/2007/08/24/10-killer-job-interview-questions-and-answers/

http://www.wisebread.com/how-to-answer-23-of-the-most-common-interview-questions

#8 of 10 Old 06-13-2011, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

I found a suit at a local resale shop.  I paid $40 for a $239 suit. smile.gif

#9 of 10 Old 06-13-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post

I found a suit at a local resale shop.  I paid $40 for a $239 suit. smile.gif

Thats awesome!!  Pics??

#10 of 10 Old 06-13-2011, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

I will have to take pics of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page