Moving from part-time to full-time work: Tips? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-02-2011, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I will soon be moving from a part-time (80%) job where I work at home with some travel, to a full-time job where I work some at home, some at an office, with some travel. I haven't worked full-time since before our seven year old was born. We have additional after school care lined up, but I'm wondering, aside from hiring a housecleaner (which we plan to do) what other tips you might have for managing without as much wiggle room in my schedule?  My partner can't really fill in the gaps because her business is expanding, and I'm concerned about keeping all the balls in the air with 8 hours less per week to do it!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-05-2011, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)

I feel you mama.  Today was my first day of full time.  I've been part time (16 hours a week) basically since first child was born.  I don't have a whole lot of advice for you.  Do you just have the 7 year old?  I would think the basics, like have a bedtime routine and wake up routine, try to be organized with having lunches packed the night before, breakfast ready to go in the morning, homework in backpack, everything by the front door in the morning, etc.  I would think set up your routines, so everyone knows what happens next, whether you're there or not, everything should run relatively smoothly.  At least, that's the theory.  Good luck! 

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#3 of 4 Old 07-06-2011, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks.  I hope things go well for you.  32 hours to 40 hours is a lot less of a jump, and we mostly already do the "be super-organized" thing.  And yes, we only have one, so that's easier, and we really do co-parent, so it's not all on my shoulders.

But that said, I'm wondering what else I can do to ease the transition, because I don't feel like I have eight extra hours in the week! (plus a few more for commuting to an office, which I don't do ever now.)  I'm wondering if anyone uses grocery delivery, or those places where you go make a bunch of food for the week - we're a whole, organic food kind of family, but has anyone had success with this? What about other household help aside from housecleaning? 

#4 of 4 Old 07-13-2011, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)

I hope things are going well for you.  Call me lazy, but I looked into a housekeeper for awhile.  We didn't do it, but mostly because it's not where we want to spend our money.  But, it's really not that expensive.  Especially, if you're looking into a cleaning crew anyways.  I looked at private housekeepers on sittercity (I'm sure there's other sites, but that's where I saw them.)  I figure if you're hiring a "Merry Maids" type of service and lets say paying them $150 a week to clean your house, you could instead hire an independant housekeeper for 15 hours a week at $10 hour.  A lot can be accomplished in 15 hours a week, such as bedding, laundry, dishes, picking up and cleaning the house.  Now, there's a lot to consider.  (Such as interviewing people, the vetting process, managing them, insurance, taxes, etc)  But, it's just an idea. 

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page