Work question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-08-2011, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I will be finishing my degree next June.  Originally, I was getting a business management degree. I switched to Environmental Studies, minor in business management. I am paying for school, but my supervisor knows I am in school.  I have a annual review coming up.  It is always asked were do you see yourself with this company next year/future.  Honestly, even though the company is a good company, I am praying I will have a new job any were else.  I absolutely hate my job, not the company.  I cannot see myself fitting anywhere into this company.  I have researched other career paths in the company and it isn't something I want to do. 

How do I respond to the question? I do not want to burn bridges.  Even though I hate what I do, if I get stuck here I can say at least the company is a good company.  

#2 of 12 Old 07-08-2011, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

If there is a gap in the company because a position doesn't exist, could you say that you hope the company will fill that gap in the near future by creating the position? And that you hope to be a candidate for it?

If the company just isn't in the field or industry that you are interested in, that's a lot harder.

#3 of 12 Old 07-11-2011, 11:48 AM

I think there is a way to signal, that with the completion of your degree, you will be WELL-ready for something NEW involving more challenging work. You can even say that you think you are ready NOW (because really, even with a degree, you'll still be you - as ready now as you will be then), but you are waiting until you have your degree. Be vague but signal that you don't plan to hang around in this dead-end job for long once you have a degree (you can leave out how you feel about the company). Then just let it be. They may surprise you or not.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#4 of 12 Old 07-11-2011, 12:09 PM

I would just be honest about where you see yourself, but leave out the part about it NOT being at this company. I wouldn't get any more specific than necessary. But if you have to, I like what the PP said about hoping they'll create certain positions or something.

Alternatively, you can just tell them where you'd see yourself in 5 years if you were to stay with that company. If the reality is that you'd be willing to hang onto that job for 5 more years if you have to, you must have SOME vision of what you'd be doing if you stayed there??? Or a career path that you'd prefer over the others, if leaving the company falls through??

I've been stuck in a job I hate for over 5 years now... and I'm quite glad I haven't burned bridges because there were times when I was 95% positive I'd be out of there by X date and it just didn't end up happening for various reasons. At least I still have a job now, even if I hate it. So I think you are wise in wording your response carefully!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#5 of 12 Old 07-11-2011, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)

I agree, don't burn bridges. You can talk your degree and the kind of position you would like, but use caution. You may not find your dream job immediately and need to stay there for awhile. Even if you DO find your dream job, you'll want a positive reference.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#6 of 12 Old 07-11-2011, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

what your company review is looking for is what are your hopes. dont look at what the company does. look at where you might be heading.

i mean no matter what you get your degree in - basically one does really the same job. on the field or management or sales or customer services or trouble shooting. 

whether you work for a resource conservation district or you work for a database company - you still need to define which area you want to go in - kwim?!!!

so i would speak generally of where you would like to head. 

and i agree with teh others. even if this is not where you want to be in the company, look at where you would like to be at this company. at least if you dont like your job you can at least progress ahead and get expertise in the kinda area you want to be in. so that if you choose management you could at least show you could manage 20 people down the line when you DO get ur job of choice. 

sorry. it sucks to be in a job you dislike.

CRUNCHY bow.gif i worked at a place for 1 1/2 years where i hated from the very center of my being. i was in depression by teh time i had the freedom to quit. i bow to you for lasting 5 year. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#7 of 12 Old 07-11-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

CRUNCHY bow.gif i worked at a place for 1 1/2 years where i hated from the very center of my being. i was in depression by teh time i had the freedom to quit. i bow to you for lasting 5 year. 

The only reason I've survived this long is because I've worked from home for the last 2.5 years! The job itself is no better from home but at least I'm distanced a bit from the horrible atmosphere. I've been at this company longer than any of my co-workers, they have a HUGE turnover rate and the company has been bought out multiple times. It's a soul-sucking job. But, I get to spend all day with DS and I get health insurance and I'm still in a 'professional' field even WAH so it could be worse...

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#8 of 12 Old 07-11-2011, 05:09 PM

Because we can't predict the future, I would just answer as you might have in prior years - as if you'll still be there. "I hope to continue meeting & exceeding my goals in my current position" or, whatever. Why go there before you have to, IMO.
One_Girl likes this.
#9 of 12 Old 07-11-2011, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Answer the question as you always do.  There is no guarentee you will finish school, no guarentee you will get the dream job, etc.  You NEED the job you have now.  Never show all your cards!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#10 of 12 Old 07-11-2011, 10:35 PM

What skills do you want to implement in the next year? Pick something theoretically feasible at your current job, "I'd really like to be in a position where I can use my skills in xyz.." just leave off the bit that you want to do it at a completely different company.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#11 of 12 Old 07-12-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1329 View Post

Because we can't predict the future, I would just answer as you might have in prior years - as if you'll still be there. "I hope to continue meeting & exceeding my goals in my current position" or, whatever. Why go there before you have to, IMO.

If you know for sure that there is no way for you to use your new skills/interests in this company, I would go what K1329 suggests. You need to do what is best for you and your family, and sometimes that includes telling your boss/job what they want to hear.

One_Girl likes this.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#12 of 12 Old 07-12-2011, 05:26 PM

Since this is about work & school, I'm moving it on over to W&SP.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page