Dealing with the transition back to work (part time or other...) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-15-2011, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have recently started a new job, approx 15hrs a week. I am also in grad school part time (online, so I don't have to attend classes in person). I was a SAHM before that. My youngest is almost 3. The job is important for my future career as it is giving me valuable skills for when I graduate from grad school and look for a full time job in my field.

So I am having a hard time transitioning to being in the outside world. Although I have a lot of support from my husband and the daycare seems to be working out ok, it is still hard. There's guilt of course..there will be a couple of afternoons I'm not available for when my eldest gets home from school, and other times here and there even on a weekend when I'm at work for a few hours. He may have to forego some after school activities because I won't be able to pick him up ( I don't know for sure yet but I am guessing it will happen). I am also kind of a planner, and I get stressed out thinking ahead about all the projects at work. Also, I can't quite put my finger on it but I think just the whole "new job" scenario and dealing with new people, new boss, dealing with customers, etc...I have to have almost a "work" persona and a "home" persona. Sometimes it is hard to transition between the two.

Just wondering if anyone knows what i'm talking about. I've only been in the job 3 months so I am optimistic it will get better when everything isn't so new and logistics settle down a bit. But if you've any stories or suggestions on how to cope with the transition I would be grateful.

Thanks.

#2 of 2 Old 07-17-2011, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My youngest is 1 1/2, and I just went through a grueling interview process for what promises to be a positive step in my career, and a position that has a lot of stress and high expectations of me, but also ample vacation time (it's in education) and time for creativity. They told me I was the top candidate, and the pit in my stomach immediately settled in. Part of me is worried that I won't be able to live up to the new expecations... that I won't be able to do the juggling act. Part of my will miss the kids, but they are at ages now where it's a little bit easier to think of how helpful it will be for them to bond with other caregivers too. I'm also lucky that my dh works from home, so I know there will always be someone there during the day... but I still worry about how it will all play out. Failure is a scarey prospect, but I think that risks are important because they are how you move forward in your life. If you don't challenge yourself, professionally or personally, then you might start to feel like you're missing out.

Since I'm not doing it yet, I'm mostly offering a sympathetic ear. I would say that relaxing a little about the chaos and knowing that you will settle into a new routine would be helpful. Developing a mantra, like "I am a confident, intelligent woman and I can do this" is helpful. I know it's what You can bet I was saying throughout my 4 1/2 hour "Spanish Inquisition" style interview! lol, but I came out on top in the end. superhero.gif

Mom to Delia  (5/25/07) and Alex  (4/10/10) and 2 spoiled kitties

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page