As if life weren't complicated enough... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-07-2004, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A good job has come up in New England.

Those of you who followed "do you love your job but hate..." will know my dilemma.

DH's family lives in southern MA. This job is in Burlington, VT--about 5 hours north. REALLY north.

I guess I'm going to apply for it & see what happens--what's the harm, right? I know Burlington's supposed to be a good place to live, and maybe we could finally get the old house in the country we've been daydreaming about. But I'm feeling REALLY conflicted. My library is about to move into a beautiful, brand-spanking new building. DD is 1 year old, and we have tons of ties to the community now, mostly through my prenatal yoga, but also some college friends who live in the area, and we just got a plot in the community garden...

We want to live closer to family, and my parents live in PDX. I guess I was starting to think maybe we'd end up back in the northwest. My parents are very youthful & healthy, but they both just turned 70, and all 3 of their kids would be on the East coast. It'd be nice if one of us were closer to them.

OTOH, my parents travel--the ILs (also in their 70s) don't. So I know my parents would come see us often, and we'd be close enough to the ILs that we wouldn't have to take huge amounts of vacation to go see them.

I know that I've never thought of us as ending up in Madison for more than 5-10 yrs. But I just don't feel ready to leave yet. And when we DO leave, I want it to be the last move for a long time. And I just don't know if I want northern Vermont to be our long-term home.

And what if we get out there, buy our dream home, and the job turns out to be worse than this one? The climate here is really collegial--what if I lose that?

Sigh. I guess I'm getting ahead of myself, since I haven't even written the cover letter. I think this would be a good job, but I just can't get excited about it.

Thanks for reading my ramblings...I hope it all makes sense... :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2004, 05:31 PM

It's easy to think "what if, what if...". It's also easy to worry about what you are leaving behind. I think if something caught your eye about the job, then apply for it and take it as far as it goes. You could always stop anywhere within the process, if you change your mind, or your circumstances change at all.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do.

Mia
Old 04-08-2004, 06:16 PM
Banned

Why don't you just apply and see what happens? Is there anyone you know, as well, who knows the in-house climate of your potential job there? You'll of course get the opportunity to find out for yourself, if the job process moves along favorably.

Burlington would be a fabulous place to live. Really fabulous. Dh and I looked there, but we ultimately decided against it for a variety of reasons. One of those reasons was cost of living versus likely salaries. Salaries weren't going to be particularly high (or weren't likely to rise much, although they might start at a reasonable level). However, housing is expensive, especially if - as we did - you want a cool old house on some land in the countryside.

It does sound like you may not be ready to leave where you're at. But then again, if you wait too much longer, your child will begin to develop ties to the area, and it will become that much harder to leave.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Marlena

It does sound like you may not be ready to leave where you're at. But then again, if you wait too much longer, your child will begin to develop ties to the area, and it will become that much harder to leave.
I know, I know.
I asked a colleague at Yale what he knows about things up at UVM, and he doesn't know much but proceeded to tell me about a great job in his dept. There was a time when I would've jumped through hoops to get a job there, but now I'm thinking "Connecticut? "

My gut is that I'm not ready, and neither is dh. Somehow I've had it in my head that I'd start looking in a year or so. But what if I miss a great job b/c I'm not ready *yet*?

Oof, my head hurts. Maybe I should stop stressing about this & do some of the work I'm being paid to do...
Old 04-09-2004, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nate
I know, I know.
I asked a colleague at Yale what he knows about things up at UVM, and he doesn't know much but proceeded to tell me about a great job in his dept. There was a time when I would've jumped through hoops to get a job there, but now I'm thinking "Connecticut? "
New Haven has all one way streets and they all go the same way. (Or at least that's how it seemed to me when I got lost there. )

And a good friend of mine who teaches at UVM says "The best thing about Chittenden County is that it's so close to Vermont!" (Burlington is in Chittenden County.)

But, seriously, it is hard to know what you've got to do. Play it by ear. If the jobs sound good, do a lot of research and visiting to see if the rest would be good, too.

Good luck.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we decided last Thursday that we weren't ready to move. And then I kept stewing over this all last wkd., and by last night I'd decided that I want to apply, and then see what happens if I get an offer or 2. If I get an interview, we can start researching schools, houses, etc.

So now that I've decided to apply I'm a stress case again. The thing is, I'm friends w/ the head of the search for the Yale job, and I know that they're about to re-post it b/c they weren't happy w/ the applicant pool on the first round. And it's a really natural fit for me right now, so I think there's a strong possibility of being offered it. Which means selling our house--and I LOVE our house! Okay, yes, it's a bit small, and the bathroom needs some work, but it has a great kitchen & pantry. Also, it's in perpetual disarray b/c of living w/ a toddler, so I don't know how the he!! that's going to work...

But I'm getting way ahead of myself. I think I need to go get an afternoon snack. Time for a brownie & a walk...
Old 04-12-2004, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Nate -- Ummm. What field is that job in? I'm asking because I'm seeing an opportunity to make an "old girl's network" since I don't seem very tapped into the Old Boys Network. If you don't want to share, that's ok, but I gave a talk at Yale in the fall and they were talking about opening a search....

Oooh. Wouldn't it be cool if we could get enough academics on MDC to really make a full academic job rumour board? A girl can dream...
Old 04-12-2004, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, hey Geofizz;
I'm a librarian (health sciences). Most places consider librarians academic/professional/unclassified staff, although we're faculty in a few places. I think I saw somewhere else that you're a geologist, right?
Old 04-12-2004, 11:36 PM

Nate, I think you should just go ahead & apply for those jobs. Everyone else is right, you can always say no (altho I know the app process itself can be a huge PITA). I'm a big fan of moving on, sometimes even when you're not quite ready to go yet. It's that path less travelled thing, I guess (with apologies to Robert Frost). You may love where you are at now, but you might love where you end up even better. And who's to say that the friends you have now won't decide to do the same thing, & move on, & you'll be in Madison wishing you'd gone for that job......

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

Old 04-13-2004, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Nate, that's right. Now I remember. Darn. Got my hopes up.

My $0.02: If you don't apply for the jobs, you won't get them. If you go out and interview, maybe you'll see it's not right for you and you can turn the job down.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:56 AM
PM
Banned

A few questions, then I gotta run:

You didn't get to PDX until 7th grade. Yet you still seem to feel much more tied to the PNW than to MN. Wouldn't it be the same for Clara?

When your parents spent the year in HI did they sit around saying, "Oh, but our kids need us. We should stay here."

Your parents still have each other. Don't feel responsible for keeping them company. It's too great a weight to carry around. They're adults. If they really thought they needed to be near you, they would move to the East Coast. I think you need to share with them the fact that you are basing professional decisions on whether or not you can move closer to them (and the idea that at least one of you kids should be near them). See how they react to it.

I have more to ask, but I have to go get my gorilla legs waxed and my toes painted.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Ellie;
You raise very good points. It's good to have the pov of someone who knows me, yet can be objective at the same time.

I'm applying--I actually just (yesterday) was officially informed that my promotion here came through, at a higher $ level than I expected. Whoopee! This, oddly enough, takes some of the stress away from the job search problem, as I don't think Yale or UVM would be able to pay me enough to make it worth it to move. It also makes me feel better about staying here. (I was starting to get antsy, but dh has suddenly realized that he LIKES Madison...) So I'm applying, and we'll see where it goes, but I think it's more of an (ahem) academic exercise, pun not really intended, than anything...

But I'll bet your legs resemble gorilla's legs only by a VERY long stretch of the imagination...
Old 04-16-2004, 12:52 PM
PM
Banned

Are you kidding? Dontcha remember my eyebrows? I got a full-leg wax today after letting the hair grow in since December or so (we're talking 1/2 in. black!). I can't shave anymore because my skin gets so irritated. Get this! I have STUBBLE! The wax still couldn't get it all. I'll have to go back in about a week!
Old 04-20-2004, 05:10 PM

How does the faculty status thing play out at the various institutions? I think they are faculty at UVM, no?

Librarians are faculty at my university, and the P&T process is hell. I just finished getting tenure, and when I think about putting myself up for full librarian some day, it makes my stomach hurt.

In many regards, I think we have it worse than the teaching faculty. We have 12 month appointments and have to work during intersessions and vacations, yet we are also expected to do research and publish, albeit not the same volume. Still, we get no time in which to do research, so it has to be squeezed in. The service and committee work expected is on par with the teaching faculty. We also do a fair amount of teaching as well. In addition to the usual library instruction, I've been able to team teach some credit bearing courses that have been great fun (and a ton of work).

I'm not sure that the faculty status really earns us that much. I know we don't make anywhere near what the teaching faculty do. There is some theory that it raises our status within the organization. I think it's a mixed bag, and it might be worth considering what the situation is at all the institutions.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Faculty at UVM, yes, but unionized, so I don't know what that means. All questions to ask if I get the chance...and today I'm thinking they can't call me fast enough. Although I still don't want to move...

At Yale they're staff. I don't know how the promotion thing works there, either.

EFMom, you may have told me once, but I can't remember--where do you work? You can PM me if you'd rather...
Old 04-20-2004, 11:25 PM

I pm'd you.

We are unionized also. All our faculty belong to the same union, UUP. Our union is pretty lame, and they tend to pretty much ignore "librarian" issues and concentrate on the issues pertaining to the teaching faculty. All in all, I don't think whether there is a union makes all that much difference.

User Tag List