Why do women want to be the "Second Sex" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 72 Old 07-27-2011, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
 
LittleGriff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Republic of Cascadia
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, this morning my husband and I are in the escrow office signing papers for our new house (90% of the down payment and 100% of the logistics and correspondence courtesy of yours truly). I had already been fighting annoyance every time the sale was referenced solely under his name by our realtor over the last couple of months despite the fact that I was the sole person with whom she was corresponding. (Am I his secretary?) Mid-way through a relatively short, as far as signings go, stack of paper work is one form. Just one little form. This form registers the name of the property tax payer with the county and for whatever reason, my husband was listed solely.

 

"Why is it always the man?" I ask.
"Some things never change." The (female) escrow agent chuckles, moving on to the next form.
"Well, it's my money and my work. It's insulting." I huff humorlessly.
... In the end, after some back and forth to determine if it was relevant, she wrote my name in.

I wished I could have been charming and good-humored about it but after 10 years of a career in a male-dominated field where I have had to fight for every inch of respect, none was every given freely, I am plumb out of humor. I want to be granted the same rights as my husband without asking prettily.

 

When I was young (especially before babies) I felt the thing to do was to be cheerful and press on and eventually merit would be rewarded. It's not been all bad but I was not entirely correct and there is ample empirical evidence to back up my anecdotes of inequity, unfortunately.

But the thing is, I'm mostly angry at my fellow women at this point. Men aren't holding me back. My fellow women aren't backing me up. I'm tired of being an outlier. [Edited to add: professional "outlier" was my primary meaning here. Didn't think to clarify since this is the Working Parent board.] I doubt many women would have been the least bit troubled in the escrow office because they seem to all take their hubby's name and happily slink off to lurk beneath his shadow anyway. The less forms and financial and professional responsibility the better, it seems. [Edited to add: I understand sentence offensive to some of you. And you're right, it was not in best taste. It's not a factual description but an emotional one that comes out of my continual shock that in the 21st century people seem to still take exception to the fact that I expect to receive equal treatment to my husband, and male colleagues, in all matters. Their reaction seems to indicate sometimes that I'm being done a favor by being relieved of such burdens.]


I have a gorgeous, energetic two year old girl and I just don't have a lot of hope things will be much better for her because I have come to believe women don't really want them to be. Am I totally alone on this? I need perspective. [Edited to add - I genuinely want all of your opinions, even if you disagree. I have been interested in what even those who disagree STRONGLY have to say on this ;) So bring it on, but kindly if you can.]


Mother of two since 2007 and 2009. Hoping third time's a charm in 2012.

LittleGriff is offline  
#2 of 72 Old 07-27-2011, 02:20 PM
 
Anna Phor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If it makes you feel any better, I had the following conversation with a bank agent, about 2 years ago when I was shopping for a mortgage.

 

Her: So, that's pretty much all the paperwork we send you. We'll send the mortgage application, and you list your husband first and then you and just fill out the forms

Me: Why do I list my husband first

Her: Oh, that's just the way we do it. Usually the husband makes more money.

Me: ... You just lost a sale. Thanks. Bye.

Anna Phor is offline  
#3 of 72 Old 07-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Dia
 
Dia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You rock.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Phor View Post

If it makes you feel any better, I had the following conversation with a bank agent, about 2 years ago when I was shopping for a mortgage.

 

Her: So, that's pretty much all the paperwork we send you. We'll send the mortgage application, and you list your husband first and then you and just fill out the forms

Me: Why do I list my husband first

Her: Oh, that's just the way we do it. Usually the husband makes more money.

Me: ... You just lost a sale. Thanks. Bye.



 


Mama to one amazing ecbaby2.gif
Dia is online now  
#4 of 72 Old 07-27-2011, 02:46 PM
 
MittensKittens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh, I hear you! It starts early in childhood with "pink and pretty dresses are for girls", and ends with "oh, you just list your husband's name first". 

 

As a single, unmarried woman with children in a very patriarchal country, it also gets frustrating that people think I am disabled because I have no husband. Actually, women tend to have brains and can work and support themselves, and their families. But nope, people take pity on me, the "woman with no husband", while men who stay at home with the kids while their wife works are seen as losers.

 

Something is wrong with society, and insisting your name is on stuff you pay for is a small but important thing you can do for all women. 

princesstutu and Imakcerka like this.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
MittensKittens is offline  
#5 of 72 Old 07-27-2011, 03:43 PM
 
Storm Bride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 27,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGriff View Post


When I was young (especially before babies) I felt the thing to do was to be cheerful and press on and eventually merit would be rewarded. It's not been all bad but I was not entirely correct and there is ample empirical evidence to back up my anecdotes of inequity, unfortunately.

But the thing is, I'm mostly angry at my fellow women at this point. Men aren't holding me back. My fellow women aren't backing me up. I'm tired of being an outlier. I doubt many women would have been the least bit troubled in the escrow office because they seem to all take their hubby's name and happily slink off to lurk beneath his shadow anyway. The less forms and financial and professional responsibility the better, it seems.


 


Umm....wow. Maybe other women don't back you up, because you're insulting us, think we're too stupid to know it?

 

I took my husband's name. So what? It's none of your business. That, in no way, equated to "lurking beneath his shadow". I also have no desire to avoid forms and financial responsibility (professional responsiblity? Maybe - depends what you mean by that).  I get to make my own choices in life, just like you. If you don't like them, that's too damned bad.  If you're an outlier, then you're an outlier. You can be as tired of it as you want, but that changes nothing, and it's not your "fellow women's" fault.

 

Wow. Yet another self-proclaimed feminist (I'm assumign - you can correct me if I'm wrong) insulting her "fellow women", because they don't make the choices she wants them to make...and then tons of you also dogpile on those of us who refuse to wear the label you want. You'd think after 43 years of life on this planet, I'd be used to this nonsense, but I'm not.

 


Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Storm Bride is offline  
#6 of 72 Old 07-27-2011, 03:58 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cover letter he!!
Posts: 6,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm sorry they didn't do the forms correctly, I think its common practice to put both parties on the house title and deed now?  I don't know where you live, but where I am I don't think that would be taken lightly.

 

Anyway, I'm about to enter a "male dominated" field, and ironically I think I'll be working with mostly women! 

Super~Single~Mama is offline  
#7 of 72 Old 07-27-2011, 04:40 PM
 
chaoticzenmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,957
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

http://shakespearessister.blogspot.com/ 

 

Have you seen this blog?  You'll feel validated.  I love this woman and how great her points are.  I'd be mad too.  I'm a SAHM and a graduate student.  The first day, in a class of 30 people (only 4 are males) our professor says "You see all these guys in here..all 4 of them, get to know them, they'll be your bosses someday."  It is frustrating.  It's even more frustrating that I like my traditional female role in my house.  I'm happy.  I don't like the sexist stuff that I see/feel in our society though. 

LittleGriff likes this.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

chaoticzenmom is offline  
#8 of 72 Old 07-27-2011, 05:48 PM
 
seawitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Among the palm trees
Posts: 344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Um. Hmm. I'm the one listed first on our home deed - and I'm the one who does all the paperwork etc. with it. I'm also the only one listed on the deed to the car. (He chose not to come down to the office.) I also am very content having taken my husband's last name and have no desire for financial independence from him - I'm a SAHM and happy that way. I'm not sure I see a correlation between those things and who is listed first on a deed. If you're not listed at ALL then yeah, I see the point, but it never even came up for discussion who was first on ours. I just happened to be the one talking to the (male) agent most and was listed first, I guess? I have no idea. If I had been second I don't think I would have cared at all.

coolshine.gif
seawitch is offline  
#9 of 72 Old 07-27-2011, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
 
LittleGriff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Republic of Cascadia
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:

Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

 

Wow. Yet another self-proclaimed feminist (I'm assumign - you can correct me if I'm wrong) insulting her "fellow women", because they don't make the choices she wants them to make...and then tons of you also dogpile on those of us who refuse to wear the label you want. You'd think after 43 years of life on this planet, I'd be used to this nonsense, but I'm not.

 

 

OP here:

 

Storm Bride - I'm sorry to offend you. I would like to clarify that my lack of backup from fellow women is not primarily about surnames. It's about sitting in a room with two women who rather than say, "gosh, I'm not sure why this form omits your name, let's fix it" laugh it off and tell me that's just the way it is until I insist that it's not fair. This is only the tip of an iceberg in which women more than men have seemed taken aback by my pursuit of financial gains, my desire to receive titles and pay equivalent to my accomplishments, my lack of guilt around leaving small children in daycare, my insistence that my graduate school not penalize me for having children during my studies, my being appalled by always being asked about my family status in job interviews.

 

I left the laundry list out of the original post for brevity but realized that I simply confused things, especially by mentioning the hubby name issue.

 

Please don't be angry with me. I'm sorry. I know it's obnoxious to feel judged by someone you've never met. And that you have every right to do what you want with your surname.

 

But honestly, hate me if you will, it's hard for me not to feel that women's broad willingness to assimilate themselves into their husband's identity doesn't play somehow into the perpetual surprise that I would expect to be allowed to stand on my own. Almost all of my friends have changed their names. And I know how smart and fabulous and interesting they are. But they also do rely on their husbands in a way that I don't. And that gets lonely.

 


Mother of two since 2007 and 2009. Hoping third time's a charm in 2012.

LittleGriff is offline  
#10 of 72 Old 07-27-2011, 06:13 PM
 
princesstutu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: the bay area, baby!
Posts: 1,771
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well, Little Grif, I totally see your point and if people want to hone in on one thing you say about last names and totally wave off the rest of your grievance b/c they want to take offense, I think that, too, is part of the problem with us women sticking together.

 

When someone is venting about something she is upset about, I don't expect to agree with every single point she makes.  If I respond, I try to respond to the overarching message.  And, your overarching message was not that taking on the surname of your husband means something bad about you.  It is, however, another example of how women are expected to give up their identity to become a part of the man's identity.

 

It ticked me off to no end when I was married.  People would simply change my last name to his because that fit their comfort level about how I should live my life.  And, it's totally valid, I think, to suggest that we women need to be more supportive about making sure we are not forced behind the man in social ventures. 

 

Anyone who misses that in your post is trying to miss it, as far as I can tell. 


Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

princesstutu is offline  
#11 of 72 Old 07-27-2011, 06:42 PM
 
Katwoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Alaska
Posts: 665
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by princesstutu View Post

Well, Little Grif, I totally see your point and if people want to hone in on one thing you say about last names and totally wave off the rest of your grievance b/c they want to take offense, I think that, too, is part of the problem with us women sticking together.

 

When someone is venting about something she is upset about, I don't expect to agree with every single point she makes.  If I respond, I try to respond to the overarching message.  And, your overarching message was not that taking on the surname of your husband means something bad about you.  It is, however, another example of how women are expected to give up their identity to become a part of the man's identity.

 

It ticked me off to no end when I was married.  People would simply change my last name to his because that fit their comfort level about how I should live my life.  And, it's totally valid, I think, to suggest that we women need to be more supportive about making sure we are not forced behind the man in social ventures. 

 

Anyone who misses that in your post is trying to miss it, as far as I can tell. 


I take exception.  The message I got was that the OP had an uphill battle all the time in this patriarcial society because other women don't back her up in trying to make changes.  Other women take offense/exception to that because most women are fighting the same battle she is.  When I got married my DH joined my existing bank account.  When he did, his name went first.  The IRS requires that his name is listed first on joint tax returns.  All of these things have been addressed to no avail.  It's a frustrating situation to a lot of people.  To have a woman say this situation exists because women don't back each other up is simplistic and just a way of blaming easy targets for the frustration at hand. 

 

What was truly insulting was the statement that:

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGriff View Post
I doubt many women would have been the least bit troubled in the escrow office because they seem to all take their hubby's name and happily slink off to lurk beneath his shadow anyway. The less forms and financial and professional responsibility the better, it seems.

 


 

Seriously, princesstutu, you can't see how this would be offensive to most women?  Whether or not they changed their name?  Especially if they changed their name?

 

 

Katwoman is offline  
#12 of 72 Old 07-27-2011, 06:45 PM
A&A
 
A&A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 16,861
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I kept my name and I agree with a lot of your points, but I think the fault lies at the feet of society in general, not just women.  I think it's sexist to say that it's a female problem. 


"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
A&A is online now  
#13 of 72 Old 07-27-2011, 06:53 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cover letter he!!
Posts: 6,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post

I think it's sexist to say that it's a female problem. 



clap.gif

Super~Single~Mama is offline  
#14 of 72 Old 07-27-2011, 07:10 PM
 
singin'intherain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post

I kept my name and I agree with a lot of your points, but I think the fault lies at the feet of society in general, not just women.  I think it's sexist to say that it's a female problem. 



Yes, but it's so frustrating when other women prop up the tired old "men first" conventions we run into every day. I've been in the same situation many times, and all I could think was "What a traitor". irked.gif

Dacks likes this.

Mama to: Asterbanana.gif ,          Augustblueman.gif,              Emmett:nut.gif,              Ruthie: kiss.gif
 
 
Step mom to Malakiesuperhero.gif, Cameron af.gif, and Aurelia partytime.gif
singin'intherain is offline  
#15 of 72 Old 07-27-2011, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
 
LittleGriff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Republic of Cascadia
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post

I kept my name and I agree with a lot of your points, but I think the fault lies at the feet of society in general, not just women.  I think it's sexist to say that it's a female problem. 



Sincere inquiry here, is it sexist? I feel that women far more more often than men tend to tell me to get in line and do as other women are doing (i.e. not demanding so much for themselves). That's been my experience. Men have been the ones telling me go for it, you're doing great, you deserve this, etcetera. I've so rarely gotten that from a female colleague. (I can think of only one at the moment.) Don't just tell another woman "things never change" and leave it at that - help change them!

 

(and btw, my husband is my only close friend who is not a woman. all my best friends are women. hehe. i get tons of wonderful personal affection from women, i'm focused on my professional and official life here.)


Mother of two since 2007 and 2009. Hoping third time's a charm in 2012.

LittleGriff is offline  
#16 of 72 Old 07-27-2011, 07:20 PM
 
Adaline'sMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post




Umm....wow. Maybe other women don't back you up, because you're insulting us, think we're too stupid to know it?

 

I took my husband's name. So what? It's none of your business. That, in no way, equated to "lurking beneath his shadow". I also have no desire to avoid forms and financial responsibility (professional responsiblity? Maybe - depends what you mean by that).  I get to make my own choices in life, just like you. If you don't like them, that's too damned bad.  If you're an outlier, then you're an outlier. You can be as tired of it as you want, but that changes nothing, and it's not your "fellow women's" fault.

 

Wow. Yet another self-proclaimed feminist (I'm assumign - you can correct me if I'm wrong) insulting her "fellow women", because they don't make the choices she wants them to make...and then tons of you also dogpile on those of us who refuse to wear the label you want. You'd think after 43 years of life on this planet, I'd be used to this nonsense, but I'm not.

 


Exactly. I myself am a self proclaimed feminist, and so is my husband. I took his name for several reasons, one of which being that his last name is of maternal lineage. Regardless, being a feminist is a great thing, but dont kick other people who havent had the brilliant revolutions that you have had. Some people arent there yet, and some people have good reasons for it. Its nothing to be angry about.

Feminism is so different for everyone. My MIL is a feminist who is pissed off at me because I wont get a job. A feminist who prides herself in the fact that she did it all herself and accepts no help from anyone, even if it might have made her kids' life easier. A feminist who has been married twice but always made more money than her H and her name was on the car, house, ect. A feminist who is currently spending most of her time with fellow committee members, still angry at the whole world because women have the short end of the stick. And a feminist who goes home alone every night.

There is a difference in fighting a fight because its something you believe in, and just being angry and not accepting other people where they are. Your fellow women are just that, fellow women. Whether they are assisting you in the forward movement or women or not, they are still women, and regardless of what you think, they arent the ones keeping you down. The battle against patriarchy in this country is epic, but when it comes down to it, women are not the ones to be blaming.


By the way, the IRS does not require men to be listed first on joint tax returns. Ive been first on our tax returns for the past three years.
lifeguard likes this.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Adaline'sMama is offline  
#17 of 72 Old 07-27-2011, 07:35 PM
 
punkrockmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: probably writing a paper
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGriff View Post



 

OP here:

 

Storm Bride - I'm sorry to offend you. I would like to clarify that my lack of backup from fellow women is not primarily about surnames. It's about sitting in a room with two women who rather than say, "gosh, I'm not sure why this form omits your name, let's fix it" laugh it off and tell me that's just the way it is until I insist that it's not fair. This is only the tip of an iceberg in which women more than men have seemed taken aback by my pursuit of financial gains, my desire to receive titles and pay equivalent to my accomplishments, my lack of guilt around leaving small children in daycare, my insistence that my graduate school not penalize me for having children during my studies, my being appalled by always being asked about my family status in job interviews.

 

I left the laundry list out of the original post for brevity but realized that I simply confused things, especially by mentioning the hubby name issue.

 

Please don't be angry with me. I'm sorry. I know it's obnoxious to feel judged by someone you've never met. And that you have every right to do what you want with your surname.

 

But honestly, hate me if you will, it's hard for me not to feel that women's broad willingness to assimilate themselves into their husband's identity doesn't play somehow into the perpetual surprise that I would expect to be allowed to stand on my own. Almost all of my friends have changed their names. And I know how smart and fabulous and interesting they are. But they also do rely on their husbands in a way that I don't. And that gets lonely.

 


This discussion somehow reminds me of my Women and Words and Feminist Theory class that I had last spring. It was a senior level class with over 20 students in it, and consisted of all women. (I go to an all women's school) What amazed me were the number of womenin my class that just "didn't get it" and thought that the students (and the teacher for that matter) who understood the broader implications of what we discussed, and agreed with them, were a bunch of women making a big deal about nothing and that they needed to "lighten up" because our male dominated society was the "natural evolution of human society". Most women, but defiantly not all, "don't get it", I don't think anyway, until they've been a victim of or have an experience involving one or many of the symptoms and norms of a patriarchal society; i.e. the glass ceiling, sexual harassment, rape, physical or psychological abuse from a male partner, etc. What makes me mad is that being called a feminist now is almost a four letter word in our society. As for the surname thing, I just have to put my two cents in, and that is the historical fact about why a woman takes her husbands surname and that is because a marriage used to be an exchange of property, and a woman took her husbands name because she was his property. What is sad is that you can still see that this has left its mark on society in many many ways, even though a woman is, supposedly, not considered a husbands property anymore.

 

In reference to the title of this thread, if have never read the "Second Sex", I highly recommend reading the introduction it explains this whole topic really well I think. (Yes, I'm a feminist theory dork now, I can't help it. reading.gif)

 

LittleGriff likes this.

Double majoring Philosophy/History single student mommy geek.gif to DD(4yo)dust.gif. I heartbeat.gif reading (mostly feminist philosophy, Simone de Beauvoir and Jane Addams are my intellectual heros. I'm a dork pinktongue.gif), and sewmachine.gif.
You've got to get man off your eyeball, before you can see anything at all.- Shug Avery in "The Color Purple"

punkrockmomma is offline  
#18 of 72 Old 07-27-2011, 08:17 PM
 
Alenushka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 1,893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hmmm

I kept my last name.

One kids has my name another DH's.

 

I work. Work is money, money is power. I have seen enought postings form SAMHs who can;t find a job after their DH dies, left, fell in love with a new soul mate or became abusive.

 

There is no sisterhood.

 

We gone a long way....but there is so much more to be done.

 

I do not want to be First or Second sex

 

LittleGriff likes this.
Alenushka is offline  
#19 of 72 Old 07-27-2011, 08:30 PM
 
Storm Bride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 27,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGriff View Post



 

OP here:

 

Storm Bride - I'm sorry to offend you. I would like to clarify that my lack of backup from fellow women is not primarily about surnames. It's about sitting in a room with two women who rather than say, "gosh, I'm not sure why this form omits your name, let's fix it" laugh it off and tell me that's just the way it is until I insist that it's not fair. This is only the tip of an iceberg in which women more than men have seemed taken aback by my pursuit of financial gains, my desire to receive titles and pay equivalent to my accomplishments, my lack of guilt around leaving small children in daycare, my insistence that my graduate school not penalize me for having children during my studies, my being appalled by always being asked about my family status in job interviews.

 

I left the laundry list out of the original post for brevity but realized that I simply confused things, especially by mentioning the hubby name issue.

 

Please don't be angry with me. I'm sorry. I know it's obnoxious to feel judged by someone you've never met. And that you have every right to do what you want with your surname.

 

But honestly, hate me if you will, it's hard for me not to feel that women's broad willingness to assimilate themselves into their husband's identity doesn't play somehow into the perpetual surprise that I would expect to be allowed to stand on my own. Almost all of my friends have changed their names. And I know how smart and fabulous and interesting they are. But they also do rely on their husbands in a way that I don't. And that gets lonely.

 


I don't want to get into this conversation (and wouldn't have posted if I'd realized this was in Working and Student Parents), as we are coming at this from such different places. But, I do want to apologize for blowing up like that. I do think the part I bolded was unnecessarily offensive and insulting, but the rest of my comments were out of line. I'm sorry about that.

 


Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Storm Bride is offline  
#20 of 72 Old 07-27-2011, 09:20 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sunny Southern California
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGriff View Post

 

... In the end, after some back and forth to determine if it was relevant, she wrote my name in.


Next time, insist that they redo the form.  I'm serious.  

 

journeymom and Alenushka like this.
MsFortune is offline  
#21 of 72 Old 07-27-2011, 09:36 PM
 
Alenushka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 1,893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was in car dealership. Loan paperwork from my credit union. DH was with kids in the car. Sales guy  asked to talk to my DH. I said "What for? It is my loan and I am the one choosing my car" ARGGGGGG

Alenushka is offline  
#22 of 72 Old 07-27-2011, 09:57 PM
 
princesstutu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: the bay area, baby!
Posts: 1,771
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Katwoman View Post

Quote:


I take exception.  The message I got was that the OP had an uphill battle all the time in this patriarcial society because other women don't back her up in trying to make changes.  Other women take offense/exception to that because most women are fighting the same battle she is.  When I got married my DH joined my existing bank account.  When he did, his name went first.  The IRS requires that his name is listed first on joint tax returns.  All of these things have been addressed to no avail.  It's a frustrating situation to a lot of people.  To have a woman say this situation exists because women don't back each other up is simplistic and just a way of blaming easy targets for the frustration at hand. 

 

What was truly insulting was the statement that:

 

 


 

Seriously, princesstutu, you can't see how this would be offensive to most women?  Whether or not they changed their name?  Especially if they changed their name?

 

 

I think to say that the OP is blaming this entirely on other women is missing the point.  What she seemed to be saying is that we aren't making the progress we need to because so many of us have assimilated into the oppressor mindset. 

 

The name part?  It seems to me she was referring to a specific (very specific) mindset demonstrated among a certain subpopulation.  If it doesn't apply to you, why be offended?  If I am not the type of woman who took her man's name and is slinking around behind him, taking on his identity as if it were my own, she is not talking about me and so if I take offense, that is not her fault, IMO. 

 

Can it be offensive to some?  Yes.  Many things can in this world.  Is it inherently offensive?  I don't think so.  Because of the reason I stated above.


Like any conversation, people focus upon what matters most to them.  What matters most to me is reading the intent and message as clearly as possible.  And, the OP obviously was not saying that every woman who takes the last name of her mate is pathetic, etc.  I think she was quite clear.  And, if I hadn't thought she was clear, I think I would have asked for clarification instead of choosing to take offense right off the bat. 

 

And, let's be clear: we actually don't stick together enough.  Of course, this makes sense.  We are taught that we are unimportant and so we treat each other and our own selves as such.  This is what happens in any oppressed group.  We have a lot of women who identify with the oppressive beliefs.  They believe the hype.  They think that simply because they can work if they choose to and go shopping on their own credit cards that we have all reached a level of liberation that is good enough. 

 

They fling "feminist" around like it's an insult. 

 

This thread has, so far, done a good job of expressing the OP's point.  It has also done a good job of showing that many more of us do see this issue as a problem and would like to address it.  It can be difficult to discuss matters like this because many women are protective of their families and they view subjects like this as an attack upon their families and their lifestyle choices. 

 

Healing can often feel painful while the dis-ease is worked through and out.  I hope that this thread brings more careful consideration than offense.  It's been my experience that when something in a thread riles me up, it's a good time to sit back and really contemplate what fears and sorrows are being touched by the thoughts expressed. 

 


Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

princesstutu is offline  
#23 of 72 Old 07-28-2011, 04:34 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cover letter he!!
Posts: 6,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


I've never been asked my family status in job interviews, unless it was for a job that doesn't use my education.  My most recent job interviews, one group knew about my ds already (b/c I volunteer for them, so I know the people at the organization), and one didn't.  I stand a decent shot at getting both jobs, but I NEVER mention the fact that I'm a mother in a job interview, and I dodge anything that might bring it up.  Now, I also just graduated law school, and so all the jobs that I'm applying for everyone KNOWS thats an illegal question.

 

My law school also didn't penalize me for having a child in law school - the Admin was nothing but supportive, and even gave me special testing accommodations when I had to take finals at 37.5 weeks pregnant (since there was no way I could sit for 3-5hours at a stretch).

 

And, I don't feel guilty about my ds being in daycare.  It's what works for us, and he's an amazing little boy - whats there to feel guilty about?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGriff View Post


Storm Bride - I'm sorry to offend you. I would like to clarify that my lack of backup from fellow women is not primarily about surnames. It's about sitting in a room with two women who rather than say, "gosh, I'm not sure why this form omits your name, let's fix it" laugh it off and tell me that's just the way it is until I insist that it's not fair. This is only the tip of an iceberg in which women more than men have seemed taken aback by my pursuit of financial gains, my desire to receive titles and pay equivalent to my accomplishments, my lack of guilt around leaving small children in daycare, my insistence that my graduate school not penalize me for having children during my studies, my being appalled by always being asked about my family status in job interviews.

Super~Single~Mama is offline  
#24 of 72 Old 07-28-2011, 04:35 AM
 
pupsnelda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Europe
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Great post, I agree 100 %!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesstutu View Post



I think to say that the OP is blaming this entirely on other women is missing the point.  What she seemed to be saying is that we aren't making the progress we need to because so many of us have assimilated into the oppressor mindset. 

 

The name part?  It seems to me she was referring to a specific (very specific) mindset demonstrated among a certain subpopulation.  If it doesn't apply to you, why be offended?  If I am not the type of woman who took her man's name and is slinking around behind him, taking on his identity as if it were my own, she is not talking about me and so if I take offense, that is not her fault, IMO. 

 

Can it be offensive to some?  Yes.  Many things can in this world.  Is it inherently offensive?  I don't think so.  Because of the reason I stated above.


Like any conversation, people focus upon what matters most to them.  What matters most to me is reading the intent and message as clearly as possible.  And, the OP obviously was not saying that every woman who takes the last name of her mate is pathetic, etc.  I think she was quite clear.  And, if I hadn't thought she was clear, I think I would have asked for clarification instead of choosing to take offense right off the bat. 

 

And, let's be clear: we actually don't stick together enough.  Of course, this makes sense.  We are taught that we are unimportant and so we treat each other and our own selves as such.  This is what happens in any oppressed group.  We have a lot of women who identify with the oppressive beliefs.  They believe the hype.  They think that simply because they can work if they choose to and go shopping on their own credit cards that we have all reached a level of liberation that is good enough. 

 

They fling "feminist" around like it's an insult. 

 

This thread has, so far, done a good job of expressing the OP's point.  It has also done a good job of showing that many more of us do see this issue as a problem and would like to address it.  It can be difficult to discuss matters like this because many women are protective of their families and they view subjects like this as an attack upon their families and their lifestyle choices. 

 

Healing can often feel painful while the dis-ease is worked through and out.  I hope that this thread brings more careful consideration than offense.  It's been my experience that when something in a thread riles me up, it's a good time to sit back and really contemplate what fears and sorrows are being touched by the thoughts expressed. 

 



 

pupsnelda is offline  
#25 of 72 Old 07-28-2011, 04:38 AM
 
pupsnelda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Europe
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have always had to indicate my family status as well as my children (men in Germany are NOT asked whether they have children) and which form of care I had for my children while working irked.gif.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post


I've never been asked my family status in job interviews, unless it was for a job that doesn't use my education.  My most recent job interviews, one group knew about my ds already (b/c I volunteer for them, so I know the people at the organization), and one didn't.  I stand a decent shot at getting both jobs, but I NEVER mention the fact that I'm a mother in a job interview, and I dodge anything that might bring it up.  Now, I also just graduated law school, and so all the jobs that I'm applying for everyone KNOWS thats an illegal question.

 

My law school also didn't penalize me for having a child in law school - the Admin was nothing but supportive, and even gave me special testing accommodations when I had to take finals at 37.5 weeks pregnant (since there was no way I could sit for 3-5hours at a stretch).

 

And, I don't feel guilty about my ds being in daycare.  It's what works for us, and he's an amazing little boy - whats there to feel guilty about?

 



 

pupsnelda is offline  
#26 of 72 Old 07-28-2011, 04:41 AM
 
pupsnelda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Europe
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When I went on holiday with DS1 and DS2 the receptionist told me "We better wait until your husband arrives." When I told him that it's the 3 of us, he went "Oh.......". Same thing at the restaurant, we had worse service than anybody else, even my children noticed.

pupsnelda is offline  
#27 of 72 Old 07-28-2011, 04:43 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cover letter he!!
Posts: 6,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by pupsnelda View Post

I have always had to indicate my family status as well as my children (men in Germany are NOT asked whether they have children) and which form of care I had for my children while working irked.gif.

 



One of the MANY reasons I'm glad to live in the US and not abroad, where it is perfectly acceptable to discriminate for any reason the employer see's fit.

Super~Single~Mama is offline  
#28 of 72 Old 07-28-2011, 06:15 AM
 
seawitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Among the palm trees
Posts: 344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did get this thing from a professor in my Master's program. She basically came right out and said that if someone has young children, they should probably not be in a graduate program. She addressed it in the middle of class and it was clearly directed at me because I was the only one in that class with kids. The only time having kids affected my studies is when my daughter was in the hospital the day I was supposed to give a presentation. (It was a one-time thing, she wasn't constantly sick or anything.) I was a bit baffled. She was super anti-child, though - even anti-monogamist (she openly advocated childless, polyamorous relationships as the "ideal" and often waxed philosophical about it)... I didn't attribute that to feminism per se - more to her own issues. We didn't get along well before or after that, actually, and she was a big reason I ended up leaving the program.

Actually, without going off on tangent, I don't personally see that there's so much an anti-woman movement lately but anti-mother, anti-child, anti-family. That's what really riles me up. I seem to recall hearing how childless women tend to make as much if not more than men in their fields, but as soon as they become a mother their value plummets and never recovers.
lifeguard and Deepfeet like this.

coolshine.gif
seawitch is offline  
#29 of 72 Old 07-28-2011, 06:36 AM
 
CallMeMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MN, USA
Posts: 4,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I got this when we (I) applied for our mortgage - my husband's name was listed first on all the paperwork, even though I did 99% of the grunt work.  I did ask, and their explanation was that they put whoever makes the most first on the papers.  But we were *both* on all the paperwork.

 

I don't think it will change until people start demanding it change, and that sucks.


Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

CallMeMommy is offline  
#30 of 72 Old 07-28-2011, 06:39 AM
 
hildare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in-the-sticks-off-a-dirt-road, GA
Posts: 2,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

addressing several things

 

this thread is great, and i really appreciate the varied responses.  i think it is CRUCIAL to discuss things like this, even with taking chances of offending people, just to bring some of the issues to light. 

 

the name:  dh and i are feminists.  when we got married, in GA, we have the option of either of us changing our last name to the other (the only progressive thing about marriage in GA period) and i elected to change my name to DH's.  I honestly don't see how it is "more" feminist to keep the name of my FATHER'S patriarchal family, you know?  plus that side of the family can just kiss my ......  and i was glad to have a symbolic break from that.  we talked about picking a new name for us both altogether but that is legally more difficult.  plus, in a completely shallow offshoot, i like the way his last name was spelled and sounds.  now.. if i had a maternal family last name that was handed down and hadn't been named as society impresses upon us after my father (again.. that's patriarchy too!) i might have made a different choice.  either way, i don't think a name change is a non-feminist or feminist act. 

i'm not offended by OP's assessment; i'm pretty convinced i'm right and don't need approval ;) but i'm just that kind of human....

 

solidarity:  yes.  i totally agree.  i don't think it's from people trying to do things quickly or easily, but that most of us have been taught that to rock the boat is to receive scorn.  if you are a "stickler" people will treat you like an outcast.  people tend to ignore stupid crap like names on a form because it is "polite" to just cruise on through the process without causing trouble.  i think, fundamentally, that's what has been the stumbling block for the movement-- that from infanthood, people identified as girls are taught to be passive, and to be "nice."  it's not NICE to make somebody re-do a form or to call attention to some bs practice.  that is why young college-age women will tend to preface a complaint, if they can work up the nerve to actually voice a complaint about something, with:  "i'm not a feminist, BUT..."  

the misogynists have pretty well tied feminism to a huge rock of shame using every possible tactic.  if you stand up for what's right, you're going to get some funny looks and probably not be appreciated very much.  That's why many women will not employ solidarity.   It's very difficult to break from all that training. 

though princesstutu and i see feminism through some very different lenses (love you anyway) i think she really put it best: Of course, this makes sense.  We are taught that we are unimportant and so we treat each other and our own selves as such.  This is what happens in any oppressed group.  We have a lot of women who identify with the oppressive beliefs.  They believe the hype.  They think that simply because they can work if they choose to and go shopping on their own credit cards that we have all reached a level of liberation that is good enough.

 

the form:  i say F that business.  my name is first on our mortgage because we set it up to be that way.  we put dh's name on the tax forms first because his first name comes alphabetically first (and i am a humongous weirdo about alphabetical order.  virgo moon. )

i absolutely would have made a stink. 

but then again, as i get older i am getting MUCH less tolerant and folks are very likely to get an earful about that kind of monkeybusiness because i am just DONE with putting up with any of that kind of bs.

 


Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

hildare is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off