Are we crazy/Is this going to work? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-02-2011, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow. So the reality of our current plan is starting to hit me and I am suddenly feeling a little overwhelmed. So I need some outside thoughts. Here's the general breakdown.

DH and I care-take an adult who has intensive developmental disabilities (Autism and other issues), he lives with us full-time with no real respite, except for my parents at this point (we are working on this). DH has worked/lived with him for almost two decades and I have been here for a few years.

We have a 27 mo DD, who is fantastic but definitely spirited, intense and very smart. She is not in any outside care, except my parents occasionally. (My parents are AMAZINGLY FANTASTIC people).

I have a bachelors degree in a field of liberal arts that is not really effective for a career direction and we live in an area of limited industry. I am currently applying to graduate school for Special Education in an online program that would start in November.

DH does not have a degree but is planning on starting his undergraduate online this fall with the goal of getting a Masters in a related field.

DH works full-time outside of the home in a manufacturing capacity on the night shift 3 days a week. This carries all of our benefits so it is important.

So our goal is this: he works and gets his undergrad while I do my masters then when I have completed that I get a job and he stops working, stays home with the kids and does his masters.

The curve ball is that we kind of want to have another baby before I start working or student teaching, so that would involve getting pregnant sometime this winter.

Are we insane to both be going to school full-time (online) while caring for a toddler, an adult who has intensive needs and talking about having another baby while one of us works full-time?

-M-, mama to G 4/09joy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will say you are not insane, but it will be a tiring and stressful few years. Drink lots of coffee and tea, and just do it. If it is too much, you can always scale the classes back to less than full time until you find a balance that works for your family.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!

User Tag List