Single parenting and making night shift work! Please tell me your stories!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-03-2011, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just accepted a position as an RN that will entail 3 12 hour shifts a week...I have a soon to be 18 year old, a 12 year old, a 7 year old and a 1 year old...The kids go to their dad's house every other week with the exception of the one year old who would be with me all the time.  I am looking into having a friend come in and do the asleep overnight with a ride to school for the 12 year old...sleep, how and when?  Reimbursement for overnight care??? And have you survived?  As a new nurse my options are limited, and you usually have to come in on the shift no one else wants.  3-11 was available but then I would NEVER see the older kids.  Please tell me your success stories.  I have no other choice as of now, this may change with a year of experience. 

Nursing student, (LAST SEMESTER!!!)Cloth diapering, cosleeping, breastfeeding mama to 4!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 08-05-2011, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My experience was easier as I was only dealing with an infant.

I worked full time shift work (so my scheduled varied from days evenings and nights) after my daughter was born and my husband was away on business from about 5 mo to 11mo that year.

I had a part time nanny that was willing to work with my crazy schedule and stayed at my house overnight when I worked that shift - she would either stay during following day or my mom would help out with additional childcare the next day if she wasn't able so I could sleep.  I paid her the same rate regardless if she was sleeping over or not.

If your schedule will be consistent (same days every week) could you have your 1 year old in daycare those days while you slept and pick her up when you wake up? (and have your friend drop her off in the am or drop her off yourself when you get home from work?)

A lot of the overnight nurses at my job juggle being a single a mom and shift work and I am sure there are others in your situation at your new job so be sure to ask around for suggestions at work.

mama to dust.gifdd 8/09 and slingtwin.gif dd + ds 11/11

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page