Canadian Students Fall 2011 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-11-2011, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thought it would be nice to have a thread for Canadian students. I'm in my 3rd-ish year of a Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy/Liberal Arts (double major, like a crazy person).

I just found out that my university has NO specific provisions for pregnant or birthing students or students with nursing babies - essentially it seems if you fall too far behind you are offered a medical withdrawal and that's about it. I'm concerned about both pregnancy and parenting and dismayed that I have to rely on the kindness of individual profs (I suppose) to get through these next few semesters - although my profs are generally great, I'd hate to have a personality clash without any kind of policy to support me...

I'd be very interested to hear about your experiences in Canada, good and bad :) How do you handle parenting? Is anyone parenting nursing infants and in school in Canada?

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#2 of 12 Old 08-11-2011, 05:56 PM

Well, I'm a Canadian student starting university this fall (yay!)  I'm going to be studying Public Health and because I already have a degree in Biology I have advanced standing into the 3rd year.  I have no advice for you though, sorry :/  My son is 2.5 so not a nursing infant (although he does still nurse a bit!)  The only thing I have to worry about is the occasional sick day when he can't go to daycare.  And I'm worried about him starting daycare for the first time but I'm sure it will be fine once he gets used to it.  And then there's the whole balancing school and parenting thing (I'm solo-parenting).  Lots of little worries about things.  But mostly I'm excited and ready for this change.

Anyway, I'm not sure if you were starting this as a tribe for all or just looking for some advice from other pregnant/nursing student mama's so I will stop my rambling now :P

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#3 of 12 Old 08-16-2011, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Either/or/both? ... I think the student-mamas-in-canada must be a small group on MDC ;) (I'm actually new so I don't really get the tribes thing... seems to be just one long thread?)

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#4 of 12 Old 08-17-2011, 01:39 PM

I'm currently pregnant and just completing an undergraduate degree. I'll be starting my master's in the fall and giving birth in the same semester. I suspect that I will also be depending on the kindness of individual professors until I complete my first semester - at which point, I'll qualify for maternity leave.

Mother to a wonderful little girl, born Sept/2011 via h20homebirth.gif and enjoyingbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif

Currently belly.gif(EDD: February 2014)

#5 of 12 Old 08-18-2011, 06:45 AM

There are many student parents at the University of Toronto and we have many resources on our website geared to student parents in general, no matter where you are. There are video interviews with students and webinars about many issues that such students face. The website is open: www.familycare.utoronto.ca

#6 of 12 Old 08-18-2011, 04:15 PM

Most profs I found to be really understanding, I mean its life, not a hang over!

I have been through school only one year without a child under the age of three.

Talk to them up front, have a plan, ask for a directed reading course.

8 might be enough
#7 of 12 Old 08-26-2011, 05:01 PM

I am a Canadian mama taking a post-grad management course 2011/12 :)

My profs have all been wonderful about children in class.

One did eventually tell my daughter to come back when she was older- but it was after another student had written a complaint about her (the teacher) and she thought it was me (I have NO idea why she would think it was me!). Not very professional on her part imo. I still brouhgt my dd to school on an as-needed basis. She is a good kid and minds her own business.

Decluttering 500/2010
#8 of 12 Old 08-27-2011, 11:28 PM

I'm due end march or beginning of april... right around exam time!  I'm going into this school year (my third toward a communication studies degree) with a lot of nervousness and just hoping my profs are understanding and flexible.  It might be a little sad, but I'm also kind of afraid of the rumours that will be spreading around in my relatively small department.

happily married to my rock and roll cowboy guitar.gif since 2009, living the dream with our Rosebud, 26/04/12 joy.gif

#9 of 12 Old 08-29-2011, 06:39 AM

People in general work better if they know in advance, so I believe the best way is to give the heads up as soon as you possibly can. Listening to student parents has taught me that usually they only wait until they can show to their profs that they are serious about studying - it could be through participation in classes - and then talk to them about your issues. Another point is to stress that you are not asking for special treatment, but that it is treated as an equity issue, to level the playing field.

#10 of 12 Old 08-29-2011, 06:42 AM

According to the statement on the top, this thread is closing, perhaps because of being titled Fall 2011, so I will be opening another on Canadian Students, hope it is helpful!

#11 of 12 Old 08-29-2011, 10:01 AM

I'm pretty sure it's only the "ask an intuitive" forum that's closing.  Thanks for your advice!

happily married to my rock and roll cowboy guitar.gif since 2009, living the dream with our Rosebud, 26/04/12 joy.gif

#12 of 12 Old 08-29-2011, 12:46 PM

Another thing, make sure you know the policies around missing an exam and how early you can petition. Where I work the official rule is that the student can petition for the day(s) she is hospitalized, but if the exam falls on the day after she comes home she would have to write it or bring a medical note. Just in case your prof is not so understanding, as it happens sometimes. And don't worry too much about what other people say or think, you won't be able to reach consensus anyways!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page