Is Study Abroad Worth It? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-19-2011, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm in an MBA program at a local university.  They strongly encourage short study abroad courses, usually 2 weeks.  I really want to do one to India this winter to study Social Enterprise.  However DH doesn't think it is a good idea. 

His objections - 1. "You just want to travel",

2. "It won't really help towards what you want to do", and

3.  "It is a waste of money". 

His previous objection had been something unspecified about the kids (ages 4 and 7) but this time when asked if he thought he could take care of them for two weeks said he could.  He's never had more than one for three days alone.

My rebuttals are - 1. Well, yes, I do want to travel (I used to quite a bit before kids).

2. I would like to go into Social Enterprise ( or sustainable energy, or both?) and I think it would be a great experience plus look good on a resume.  He thought I wanted to be an accountant.

3.  It is pretty expensive, probably close to $8,000 after airfare, program expenses, tuition, etc., but it is my money from my inheritance.  This inheritance has also been paying all our expenses for the last few years because DH has been unemployed and not looking for work.

I am a little concerned about the kids, but mostly because they will probably watch alot of television and may not see a vegetable for the time I am gone.

So, what do you think, is studying abroad worth it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-20-2011, 05:56 AM

In my experience, it's very worthwhile. The benefits are both specific (learning content, improving skills in cross-cultural interaction, getting familiar with working in an international millieu--which is very different than being a tourist, etc.) and general (enriched world view, new perspectives on old things, a chance to learn more about yourself, etc.).  Also, it definitely will look good on your resume.

It sounds to me like you and your DH might find it useful to explore with each other your two visions for your education, the uses of the inheritance money, and maybe also his role in your kids' lives--both for purposes of deciding about this trip but also for general ability to understand each other's hearts and minds and plan for the family's future.

I'm big into specific and general tonight, aren't I? :)

#3 of 5 Old 08-20-2011, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the support and specific benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beep View Post

In my experience, it's very worthwhile. The benefits are both specific (learning content, improving skills in cross-cultural interaction, getting familiar with working in an international millieu--which is very different than being a tourist, etc.) and general (enriched world view, new perspectives on old things, a chance to learn more about yourself, etc.).  Also, it definitely will look good on your resume.

As far as DH and I and anything, that is a whole 'nother ginormous can of worms. Communication is not his strong suit. I agree with your suggestion, though, and will give it another try.

It sounds to me like you and your DH might find it useful to explore with each other your two visions for your education, the uses of the inheritance money, and maybe also his role in your kids' lives--both for purposes of deciding about this trip but also for general ability to understand each other's hearts and minds and plan for the family's future.

I'm big into specific and general tonight, aren't I? :)

I think  being general and specific is a great thing. smile.gif

#4 of 5 Old 08-25-2011, 09:09 AM

I studied abroad in London when I was in college and LOVED IT. It was such a valuable experience! That being said... I can't imagine doing it after having kids... but 2 weeks really isn't that long and with Skype you can stay connected. And if it's good for your career and family's future... I say go for it!!

#5 of 5 Old 08-25-2011, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I have studied abroad and done an international teaching internship in European countries.  They both changed my life in so many ways, personally and professionally.   I'm continually amazed at how many employers consider my international studies, travel and experiences living abroad so seriously. 

To study abroad in India... WOW!!! Although, considering the travel time to India and the HUGE cultural differences, 2 weeks doesn't seem long enough to get beyond a) jet lag haziness, b) a tourist's experience.  But, I sure the heck would take it... regardless!  winky.gif 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page