Daycare advice - should we switch for financial reasons? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-08-2011, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sorry if long - We currently have 2 kids in care - one 3.5, the other 5 months.  My eldest son went to a neighbor's home care until right before #2 was born - the neighbor decided to close her operation the day before I went into labor.  Once I returned to work after leave we got an opening for both at a wonderful place near both my DH's and my offices.  The only problem is the new place is a Child Care Center and PreSchool and so costs waaaay more than the home care we had been using.  Before #2 was born we were planning on $280 per week for both and now we are paying $425.  They've been at the new place since 7/1, so 2 months or so, but we are finding it almost impossible financially, and heating season is going to put us over the edge right into the red *every pay period*.  This is clearly unsustainable. However, I worry that the switch now will be difficult for both my older son and the younger.

Would it be better to tough it out for the next 2 years, until #1 goes to Kindergarten, or switch to another home care situation as soon as possible, to lessen the pain of the switch, for the 2 boys?

We make too much money for financial assistance, or for one of us to quit our jobs and stay home.  Fixed expenses are the main issue - housing, student loans, etc.

me, my man, and our boys (1/08 and 3/11)

#2 of 6 Old 09-08-2011, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Find another in home care. What if something happens to a car? Will you have that extra $800 for the repair bill if you are so close to the red? Take your time interviewing/visiting and I'm sure you will find something. Maybe your state has a child care provider directory? (Mn does, they will do a search for you by zip code of licensed providors in your area, along with other criteria)

#3 of 6 Old 09-08-2011, 11:47 AM

If you can't afford it, you have to switch.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#4 of 6 Old 09-08-2011, 04:11 PM

You simply have to switch. Find another home care place or a nanny share. Take your time to find something nice, then clearly communicate to your older one about the upcoming change. Kids are resilient. They will be fine.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#5 of 6 Old 09-08-2011, 06:42 PM

I'm not sure I would switch...I would probably put my student loan back in deferrance/forebarment for financial hardship just until my one child went to kindergarten. I know I am the only one that has said this...but, I first of think it is kind of hard to find an awesome daycare, and second my oldest has been bounced around a few times with different daycares (part of this was just because of health issues etc of his DCP) and it was REALLY hard on him...every child is different, but, mine really had trouble adjusting each time.

That said...if there was no possible way to reduce expenses than I would switch because things like heating/car repairs as mentioned etc are priorities.

Does your daycare have any type of private scholerships that are not need based or (if you have time) can you volunteer a little in exchange for reduced tuition?

Can you and/or DH adjust your schedules at all to reduce daycare needs?

#6 of 6 Old 09-09-2011, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

You are currently paying 22k a year for daycare.  IDK your salaries but thats a huge chunk of change.  I would be interviewing other options for daycare.  The kids will adjust.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page