Finding Child Care - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-12-2011, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

HELP!!! Not having any luck finding child care centers with openings in my area!!! Any suggestions appreciated!! Baby is almost four weeks old and need to go back to work in two weeks!

Katie Mae belly.gifMama to DD1 08/11 and expecting stork-suprise.gif03/14
Momma to three cat.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2011, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I know for my area, child care centers with opening for babies, especially newborns, are almost impossible to find. Families put their name down during earlier in the pg and might even end up paying for a spot before they need one just to keep it. 

I'd put your name on all the wait lists. Maybe start looking at sitters that could get you through until a spot opens up. Have you thought about a home day care as well? Many prefer 1+ year olds because of ratios but some do take newborns. Best of luck! I use sitters due to all my various kids and this is my last week of my current sitter (she is moving), I FINALLY just found a new one but she can't start for another 3 weeks. It was all I could do to find anyone that could watch my kids and I trust so now I wait and cobble together care until she starts. Sigh, child care is so hard. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:54 PM

Can you ask around with people you know?  I got bumped on a waiting list because of a connection.  Also, like the pp mentioned you might be able to find a home daycare opening before a child care center.   Check classified ads and ask people you know.  Is there a community moms group you could ask?  Maybe a stay at home mom would be interested?  Get your name on waiting lists though!  And follow up as much as you can - at least every few months.  Then you can switch your LO to your preferred daycare once you get in. 

Good luck!

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
Old 09-15-2011, 05:44 PM

I ended up hiring a baby sitter who was a friend of a friend after I posted on Facebook that I was looking for a baby sitter. 

Also, some employers and some governmental organizations have long lists of all the possible daycares (both the big ones and the in home ones) in your area so you can feel like you are looking at all the options.   

mother of 2, wife, daughter, lawyer, toddler wearing, extended breastfeeding, ec-ing, water birthing....

Old 09-17-2011, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Depending where you're at, most states will have all care providers listed on the gov website. Along with that they have all the inspections listed. Which can be helpful.

User Tag List