Can you help me choose between two nanny's? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-18-2011, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am going back to work full time starting on Tuesday.  On care.com I had about 90 people apply to my nanny job ad and I have it narrowed down to two now.  I get good gut feelings about both of them.  I think I know which one I want, but I wanted to see what MDC members would recommend.

Nanny C.  $15 an hour.  Speaks Russian, English, and 2 other languages.  26 years old with a lot of experience.  College degree (not in anything relating to childcare though).  She is fine with the funky hours I would need her for (lots of evening hours).  Presented herself in a very confident way.  She is very supportive of AP practices and I have no doubt she will be very good to my baby.

Nanny A.  $9 an hour.  Speaks Spanish and English.  20 years old with some paid experience, but mostly just has experience with babysitting cousins and such.  High school diploma, but she wants to go to college for child development.  Can work any hours that I need her to.  She lives on the same street as I do and can easily walk to my place.  She is very quiet and shy around dp and me.  I'm sure she will be good to the baby, but I worry about her being stressed when dp and I are around (not back seat babysitting or anything, but the apartment is small).  She is very sweet and kind though and I like her philosophy on children and babysitting.

Who do you think you would pick?  Thanks :)

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 12:20 PM

Would the nanny be caring for just the baby or the baby and the six year old?

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 09-19-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Just the baby.  The seven year old won't be back until about five weeks from now. 

Old 09-19-2011, 12:33 PM

Ok, if its just for five weeks until the other kiddo returns, then I would go with nanny #2. She is cheaper, you seem to like her phiolsophies, and it would be good for her to have some experience.

If it is long term and the nanny is eventually going to be caring for your 7 year old too, then I would go with nanny #1, which seems like your first pick anyway.

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 09-19-2011, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

I hadn't thought about it that way, and this is going to be a long term thing that will eventually include my seven year old.  I am going to go with the first one I think.  I believe you are right and that she is my first choice.  I guess I just feel bad about turning down the second nanny and hurting her feelings or something.  Thanks for the clarity.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:54 PM

Since she lives right down the street, she may make an awesome every now and again babysitter or your 2nd choice if the first nanny doesnt work out smile.gif

SIDS happens. 

Old 09-22-2011, 03:37 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I found it really helpful to give the nannies paid trials of a day or two each. It was really worth the money. I spent some of the day present and some on quick errands. Saw how she interacted with the kids, gave her an opportunity to put the baby to sleep, went to the park together for some run arround. Listened to her read many stories. Chatted at length about various things. Asked her to prepare a simple meal.

You mention language skills and thus you should think carefully about your goals in that regard. English language skills were very important to me, especially the ability to read well because I want our kids to have lots of story time. Many of the nannies I interviewed could not read well enough for our needs. We also wanted a nanny who spoke English to the kids because 1) we don't speak another language  and I don't want substandard comunication between us, I don't want communication between my nanny and my children that I don't understand,  I don't think kids get a lot of value from a nanny speaking a foreign language unless the parents also speak it, and even in a large city there is a lousy selection of foreign language books if the nanny only reads in her language. I want my kids to build a rich vocabulary. FInally, our ped, when asked, advised me to hire a nanny who speaks English. She sees a lot of language delays with kids with non-English speaking nanny and substandard vocabulary growth.  Says that when children have dual immersion (parents speaking to languages) there is some delay but they catch up and fluent. But childcare just seems to give them an overall delay and then go to kindergarten unprepared and the nanny is gone so they the language anyway.)

User Tag List