how often do you switch jobs/ or how frequently are you dissatisfied? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-03-2011, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

is it just me?  i am wondering what the "normal" is out there. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#2 of 16 Old 10-05-2011, 09:30 PM

Up until my current career, I switched about every two years. As it is now, I have done the same job (teaching) for almost nine years but never longer than three and a half years in any one building. I am actually getting itchy feet and considering changing again, but this may pass. We will see. How often do you switch?

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#3 of 16 Old 10-06-2011, 05:53 AM

I've been in this job for almost 9.5 years. It's my first after grad. school, and I get enough variety and opportunities that I seldom get bored!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#4 of 16 Old 10-06-2011, 06:05 AM

I've been out of school for 22 years and I have had 3 "real" jobs and I waited tables for 2 years.
#5 of 16 Old 10-08-2011, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarlady View Post

Up until my current career, I switched about every two years. As it is now, I have done the same job (teaching) for almost nine years but never longer than three and a half years in any one building. I am actually getting itchy feet and considering changing again, but this may pass. We will see. How often do you switch?

EXACTLY this... i have been doing what i do for about 10 years now, with kind of a concentration/service area switch right in the middle, but i tend to leave a place for another one after 3 years.. and even good situations start to feel constrictive after 2.  dh thinks i am crazy. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#6 of 16 Old 10-08-2011, 07:54 AM

Hmm...I held the same job from age 17 (first job) to age 27 (a few months ago)...I did work various positions there, and some other side jobs along the way (actually I couldn't make myself completly leave - I am still employed there on an extremly occasional basis I work) I've been at my new job for around 3-4mos...the only reason I left my old job was that I felt I needed a little more room for growth and also my current job has tuition remission so I can get through grad school - honestly once I graduate I will probably leave my current job (due to pay) and I wouldn't be surprised if I go back to my old job, just a higher position....

I think I might be kind of minority for staying that steady and from such a young age lol...

#7 of 16 Old 10-08-2011, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I switched every year in college but hope to stay at my current job for a few years at least (so far I have been there almost a year and a half.)  I am not highly satisfied in my job but I enjoy my work and it isn't something I dread doing. 

#8 of 16 Old 10-08-2011, 02:38 PM

My DH definitely thinks I'm crazy. He says as soon as I pay off one set of student loans I'm itching to go back to school and do something different. I guess I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. redface.gif On the plus side changing things up prevents me from being bored.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#9 of 16 Old 10-08-2011, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Uh... Ok, three companies in 4 months once.  I'm in contracting and we lost a contract got picked up by another company, but I had my resume out there and so got called for a different company... And my pay and position went up up up!  Before that I was military and before that I held a job for 3 years at the same place. 

#10 of 16 Old 11-28-2011, 02:40 PM

lunarlady, i can relate.  i get bored or frustrated or intolerant of management. In high school I worked the same job for 5 years part time. I worked a few different jobs during college and summers.  I worked my first job out of college for about 18 mos, then had a job for a year then a totally different job in another field for 3 years. then I was a SAHM and volunteer for 7 years plus I became a doula for about a year. my first part time job back in the work force was a private practice then I worked a job for less than a year.  right now I have pretty much dropped my private practice I have a new job which I WANT to QUIT which I have been doing for 9 months!!! I just started Nursing school and I want to quit that too...it has been 3 months.     I really want a job where I can do what I know and get paid and respected for my skills and experience.  but I can't get experience because I feel like crap at my jobs! 

#11 of 16 Old 11-28-2011, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

14 years, but 3 1/2 of those were in an office as a permanent employee and the past 10 or so have been as a freelancer, so there's actually quite a bit of variability in types of projects and clients even though I've essentially been doing the same job.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#12 of 16 Old 12-01-2011, 04:49 PM

My longest FT job was 23 mos.  Most of the time I'd last 6-12 mos before needing a change.  At 3-6 mos I'd have learned what I needed to for the job and boredom would start setting in.  I can only deal with boredom for so long before I need a change.  That and corporate politics give me hives. 

But that means that I have a very extensive eclectic resume, and that makes getting a job difficult (even before kids). 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#13 of 16 Old 12-01-2011, 09:21 PM

I think for how much time you stick with a job really depends on an individual. I know people who are with their first company for over a decade. But then I have a friend who has already switched jobs 4 times in last 1.5 years. She gets bored easily.So, it really depends on a person, his/her career goals and the opportunities an employer provides to fulfill the goals.

#14 of 16 Old 12-12-2011, 09:05 PM

My last 4 jobs have been 5 years (laid off), 2 years (took a position closer to home- I was driving 50 miles a day), 7 years (jumped ship because of a lack of advancement opportunities & stability) and I've been at my current position for 8 months and I plan to stay there for at least 2 years if not longer.

Kate~ Mama to two.
#15 of 16 Old 12-13-2011, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Ugh... now that I'm happy where I'm at, job opportunities are being blasted at me monthly!  A friend of mine just got asked to go to Germany from my company.  I want to go.  3 yr commitment and they'll pay for housing and his kids school.  SUCK!  I want to stay with this company as this is the norm.  And I love this job.  I think I can finish out the remainder of the 3 yr commitment I have here.  Fingers crossed!

#16 of 16 Old 12-13-2011, 07:05 AM

I've been in my field for over ten years. My first job in the field, I stayed at for 6.5 years (they paid for me to get a grad degree, so that helped keep me there. Then I left and took a job I stay at less than a year. Then was someplace 2.5 years. I've been at this job 1.5 years and am feeling a little itchy and trying to fight it! I think people show you their good side for the first year, now my boss's true colors are coming out and I'm not sure I like them. But I like my work and the organization as a whole, and the benefits and pay would be tough to match, so hopefully I can work it out. I have the chance to get another degree for free here, am thinking maybe that would motivate me to stay. But with two small kids and a traveling DH, how on earth would I find the time?

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page