What are your work hours? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 11-07-2011, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I work a theoretical 36 hours a week, but usually end up with at least several hours more of extra work in the evenings at home, or being away for congresses or meetings. However, there are no fixed hours, and I can come in late and/or leave early or work from home if there are no meetings or appointments scheduled (which I mostly control myself). So, I work hard (as is expected more or less in the company/ for this job), but I have lots of flexibility. And I looove my job, including the travel part smile.gif

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06) trying to figure out what to do after 5 losses
#32 of 40 Old 11-17-2011, 10:33 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I work full time. I'd love to move to 80% and my job would allow it but it would result in a major, major loss of benefits. I'd retain my health insurance but lose everything else. So, 20%+ less salary + no longer exempt in terms of schedule so I'd lose a lot of my vacation time + have to account for each hour + lose $5-7k bonus = probably worse overall. I can work from home and take half days now. Bah.

#33 of 40 Old 11-20-2011, 12:25 PM

I just accepted a position that is 8-4:30 every other weekend. I can pick up shifts through the week if I want and can cover weekend shifts. But my required part is 34 hours per month. 

#34 of 40 Old 12-08-2011, 07:33 AM

I work a 9/80 schedule, which means I have every other Friday off.  I work from 6:30 - 4:00 except on the Fridays I am working I work 6:30 - 3:00.  I would work 4/10s if I could, it's nice having 3 day weekends.  My husband works a little later, so he can get the kids off to school and I can pick them up with a minimum of after school care.  The tough part is that the elementary schools here only go for a 1/2 day on Wednesdays - that really makes it difficult.  All in all, I do like my schedule.   

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#35 of 40 Old 01-19-2012, 03:47 AM

7PM to 7:30 AM. I'm a night nurse and I work 3-4 days a week. Usually if I'm able to get home on time, I catch the kids on their way out to door to school, and I sleep while they are in school. I am able to have dinner every night, and tuck them into bed on the nights I don't work. I leave for work at 6PM.

If I could I would switch to days. However I'm a new nurse and nights work better for me as far as being slower paced so I can learn nursing skills. Besides it's hard to get switched to days around here!

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#36 of 40 Old 02-02-2012, 10:54 PM

I work 9-5:30 M-F. I like starting at 9 as it allows me to drop my daughter off at school and stay with my son for 10 minutes at daycare before needing to leave for work. I don't however like not getting home until 6pm (after picking the kiddos up at daycare) and having to cram in homework, cleaning, dinner, baths and showers, laundry, taking care of the animals, playtime, and storytime.

I'd prefer my daughter not have to go to daycare at all. It would be nice to be able to pick her up from school but that's impossible while holding down full time hours. My daycare opens at 6AM and closes at 6PM so I am limited to that. I need to give myself 30 mins to get to daycare in the evening and from daycare to work in the morning in case of traffic issues or weather related road problems. If I worked an hour or two earlier I'd still have the same amount of time with my kids in the evening as their bedtimes would have to change to reflect getting up earlier to go to daycare in the morning so I could get off to work. I'm no longer with my kids dad and have continued to want to do all of the drop offs and pickups even now my boyfriend has recently moved in. My morning commute is 45 minutes and my evening commute is 30. I leave at 8am and return home at 6pm. It's a long day for all of us and I would be fibbing if I didn't admit that I do feel a bit guilty about it all (well knowing it's what I need to do to survive and provide for them). 

Ideally I'd love to make the same or more working half as much. ;)

#37 of 40 Old 02-02-2012, 11:12 PM

I work a flexible full-time schedule.

Mon 8:30-4:30 with a break from 10-12 so that I can volunteer at the kids' school.

Tues 8:30-2:45 telework

Wed 8:30-7:15P Office

Thurs 6:00-2:45 telework

Fri 8:30- 7:15P Office

I love it because I have my kids Mon, Tues, Thurs, and Sat nights, so I get off early and pick them up on time from school. No aftercare on Tues and Thurs. We have a lot of time at home to just take it easy. I feel like I have a part time job. They stay with their dad on Wed and Fri and so I spend long hours in the office those days. Since I started doing that, I don't work on weekends anymore. I'm more focused. I do laundry on telework days and put it away Sat morning before the kids get home. I can do most of my chores while they are with their dad and have more time to be with them. We do some daily chores together in the evening, but mostly we have time to sit and be or go out and explore.

#38 of 40 Old 02-11-2012, 06:58 PM

I recently (well, almost 6 months ago) got a less-than-part-time job as a classroom assistant in a local kindergarten. Before that I worked as a waitress, and then stayed at home with DD for 6 months after being fired from the waitressing gig. My hours are 9-12:30, but I usually stay til 1PM. DH works overnight shifts from 10PM til 6AM, so it's nice to have our days together with DD and we don't have to deal with daycare. I make about half of what I did waiting tables, but I have a degree and wanted to start doing something with it, and the path I'm on now will eventually lead to that, and to more money than waitressing could bring in.

We're planning to have another LO soon, and it'll be great to have so much time at home with my two little ones. Also my district has a Career Growth program that includes partial tuition reimbursement and pay raises for completing courses, so I plan to take my time going through school to get my credential and hopefully I'll be teaching full-time when my kids are starting school.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#39 of 40 Old 02-18-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1329 View Post

3 long days to total 23 hours per week. Perfect for our family; I feel lucky to have this job. Part time jobs with full benefits are pretty rare!
I went through 5 jobs to find this one, and, feel it's a keeper.

What on earth job do you have to get this kind of a deal?? I would love to have that.

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#40 of 40 Old 02-21-2012, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Super flex right now.  I have meetings on Thu and Fri mornings, and usually one to three other times per week on a variable basis.  I'm WAH the rest of the time right now since I have a 4 m/o.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page