Short Term Childcare - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-12-2011, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello All-

I am planning way ahead but, next year I have to do my student teaching and will need child care full time for 9 weeks. After the 9 weeks I will not need child care again until I start teaching which will be anywhere from 10 months to 2 years...my daughter will be 18 months when I student teach and I am not sure what I should do about childcare. Unfortuantely, Family is not an option and My DH cannot take a leave from work. I am thinking it might be hard to find a place that would have a spot for such a short length of time especailly when I won't be going back to work after that for a while.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-14-2011, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

You could try a center but like you mentioned, it could be difficult to get a spot. My hours vary, I mostly work very part time but once a year I spend a month training new counselors which is a lot more time then I normally work. I always end up with a new sitters that comes to my house for just the month. I start looking about 3-4 weeks before I need care and every year things just seem to fall into place! 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#3 of 7 Old 10-14-2011, 09:02 AM

Do you know any SAHMs who would like to make some extra money for 9 weeks? 

#4 of 7 Old 10-14-2011, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Some centers will take children for short periods of time, I have done this a few times and never had a problem finding good care.  You may have to call around a lot to find one that fits with your values and will take you for a short period of time but it may be easier than you think to find care.  If your university has a childcare center I suggest checking into it because they will probably have semester based and flexible options.

#5 of 7 Old 10-18-2011, 12:21 AM

Yes, try a SAHM. Also sometimes home daycares have a spot if you are upfront about it being temporary. Anyone who has a few spots would usualy rather the income for 9 weeks than not at all, or you could get lucky and one of her regulars could be out on maternity leave the time that you need.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#6 of 7 Old 12-24-2011, 08:20 PM

I got a list of licensed providers from my state licensing agency (here it's called PATCH) and called all of them until I found some that took part time, temporary placements. I only found a couple places, but luckily I liked one of them and it worked out great.

#7 of 7 Old 01-11-2012, 03:01 PM

I took care of a little girl for a mother in your same position. I was just starting to offer childcare in my home as a SAHM and it worked out pretty well. I would have liked to have had her longer, but if you could find someone who needs the money and wouldn't mind the temporary position it could work out.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page