Hybrid work situations: part-time at home, part-time in the "office" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-03-2011, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm curious to hear from mamas who have this type of work arrangement, or something similar, involving some time worked from home and some time worked on site.

If this is your situation, what type of work do you do?

How did you come about the job?

Are there some mandatory on site hours or is it very flexible?

Do you enjoy the arrangement?

What are some of the drawbacks?

TIA!

#2 of 4 Old 11-03-2011, 02:11 PM

Hi,

I'm doing research for a couple of years.  I worked for the same people for years before I had DS, and figured we'd keep doing what we were doing (me there all the time) when I came back.  My first day back, though, they told me I could work from home as much as I wanted as long as I was productive (and obviously there are some things that can't be done from home, so those I have to go in for). I love the arrangement; it lets me spend a lot of time with DS, minimizes the amount of time I spend driving/preparing bottles/pumping (ugh.  HATE pumping).  When I am physically there, there's a really good reason for it (taking care of patients, using software that can't be used at home, meetings).

My one piece of advice is to overcommunicate.  When I was on site, I would just present my work when I had something pretty complete.  Now, I send lots of "updates" just to let them know I really am working at home.  When I go to a meeting, I make sure I'm visible (presenting or commenting) so that they know I'm still there.  And so on.

As far as drawbacks, (1) DH assumes that since I'm at home, I'm like a SAHM... but I'm not, I actually have to work all day, so a lot isn't done when he gets home...  haven't really worked this out yet, but he's pretty receptive and it's just a matter of reminding him from time to time; (2) I sometimes get confused on that issue, too -- I'm home, so I want to clean the kitchen and do meal planning, etc.  I need to remind myself that I'm "at work" and just let that stuff go.  On the other hand, things like playing with DS is the whole point of being home, so I take that time.

Another thing that really helps is childcare in the house.  Three days a week we have a babysitter... if you're always going to be home, you could have just a mother's helper type person.  It's hard to get stuff done if you're constantly being interupted.

Hope that helps!

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#3 of 4 Old 11-04-2011, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I have a hybrid job. It is VERY unusual to find in my field so I consider myself quite lucky. I work part time, my job is for 30 hours a month. I am just gearing back up after having another baby, I did 11 hours last month, so this might be the first semi-regular month. 

I am a RN/IBCLC, I run a breastfeeding support program through a local health dept. I had been doing bfing support for 5 years by the time I was approached to do this particular program. It really is my baby. I wrote the grant to get the funding, traveled, to learn how to train my counselors, and do everything related to keeping it going to doing actual bfing support. My director just lets me do my thing. I come into the clinic to met with her at times, met with my counselors that I oversee (there are 4), attend regular health dept meetings, do computer charting, and once in a while meet with a mom. Apart from the dept meetings, I schedule everything else when I want to work, and even those meetings are flexible. I'm not ready to leave baby until he is older so I won't attend them for 8 months or so. My paperwork is completed when I want to which is usually at night when kids are sleeping. I schedule home visits for when I want to. I do a lot of phone support and I attempt to make most of my calls when my older kids are gone, it doesn't always work out that way but at least I am still at home, just on the phone. Lots of paperwork and monitoring, all of that I do from home. 

I do really enjoy this arrangement. I have 4 kids 8 years down to newborn with only 1 in school full time. This is really the only way I could easily work since my DH works a  lot and does travel often. If my kids are sick, it is a busy week, I only do what I have to, some weeks that might be nothing and then I make it up the next. My drawbacks are around that, it can be easy to put things off or to do work with kids around. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 4 Old 11-14-2011, 10:46 AM

I am the Executive Director of a small faith based agency that offers after-school and summer programs for low income families. My background is in social services and non-profit management, a colleague told me about the position. My hours are flexible in that I work mornings at home and in the afternoon I go in the office, since one I have a staff and the staff occasionally needs to see the boss also its important for the families that I am on site at least 2-3x a week.

I started the job when my youngest was 3, she is now 6 and it's become a bit more problematic since my office hours are when she is getting out of school which sucks but by and large I have the flexibility to volunteer in her class, etc. Other downside is as the ED, I am never really off since there is no one who can do my job, I report to a board of directors. That said my hubby works from home so we make it work and in a pinch it means my kid has something to do afterschool.

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page