Having trouble swallowing the cost of daycare for 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-03-2011, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

And I know the rates here will be cheaper than where lots of you are!

We recently fired our sitter and the new sitter, who has been employed with us for 1 week and 2 days has already missed 2 half days.  At this point I'm coming to the realization that we're probably going to have to transfer them into daycare, if not now then after the first of the year.

The problem is that daycare costs for 2 will eat roughly 50% of what I make in a year, but at the same time we can't afford to do without my check.  We are paying just over $400/mo right now for someone to be in our home (b/c it is part time), and daycare will be $760/mo since there aren't many (if any) part time options in our area.

There are a few things we can do to tweak our budget to pay for it, but it'll be tough.  It just pains me to pay so much for childcare.  This doesn't include after school care for my ds1 or his care in the summer.  It all just makes me want to cry.

This is mainly just a vent.  I had to let it out somewhere.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 08:05 PM

hug2.gif I feel your pain! I've got three in part-time child care now. It just seems to be a loose-loose...I try to keep focusing on the long term benefit to my career and future successes. Someone here once encouraged me to look at the percentage of our total household income, not just what child care took out of my own salary. It made me feel better!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Old 11-03-2011, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I get it and it's annoying.  At one point we were paying 1200 a month and that was with a discount.  It's frustrating and causes so much stress.  The only thing I clung to was this won't be forever.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:20 AM

My son's daycare costs $1400/month (and thats WITH a $300 discount through my employer!) for ONE kid.  My ex pays half, but its still a LOT.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:02 AM

Why did she miss the half days? Was she sick (i.e. something out of her control) or was it just unprofessionalism on her part?

Could you offer slightly more money for the sitter and get a more professional sitter? Could you offer the job at your current rate to a SAHM with the understanding she can bring her own kid (maybe an older kid, since I guess you have a toddler & a newborn)?

Old 11-04-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Phor View Post

Why did she miss the half days? Was she sick (i.e. something out of her control) or was it just unprofessionalism on her part?

Could you offer slightly more money for the sitter and get a more professional sitter? Could you offer the job at your current rate to a SAHM with the understanding she can bring her own kid (maybe an older kid, since I guess you have a toddler & a newborn)?

I agree, that seems unprofessional (unless it was a total emergency).  I've nannied and babysat for folks, and never missed days!  Especially if it is part time. 

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

Old 11-04-2011, 10:23 AM

I feel you.  If I stay where I'm at, working full time hours with my older son and my new baby in full time care, that will be pretty damn close to 100% of my paycheck.  (Of course, me still working means us still having good insurance, money going into retirement savings, etc.)  On the one hand, I don't want to go back to being a FT SAHM, I like being back to work... on the other hand, doesn't it seem totally ridiculous to have a job just so you can send your kids to preschool/daycare... just so that you can have a job?

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

Old 11-04-2011, 05:29 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Childcare is such a strange strange thing. In my area a good nanny makes around $15-20 hour plus benefits plus quaterly tax payments plus quarterly payments to the people that due the quaterly tax payments etc. Our nanny is everything wonderful but it is so very expensive. It eats up half my salary as well. But we need the other half and all the goodies that come with my job like food and medical care. :::eyeroll::::

And I am currently hiring someone with a master's degree at $30/hour. Now how does a master degree only get you a $10/hour raise over someone without a college degree even?

Old 11-05-2011, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

She has a baby that she brings with her and he was sick. But it was a super low fever, like 99. She called and said he had a fever and she needed to take him to the doctor, so I went home after being at work 2 hours. I know kids get sick and didn't mind at that point. But the next day she comes in and says that she didn't take him to the doctor the day before, that he's going that day and she won't be coming back after the appointment. I know kids get sick and I expected to miss some work due to her child being sick, but I expected her kid to really be sick and for her to get him to the doc ASAP. She's quite young and a first time mom, so it seems to me that she overreacted.

I hope that doesn't make me seem cold-hearted. redface.gif

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:28 PM

I've got 2 in daycare also and it's 2k a month. It sucks but it's only a 2 year overlap. DS starts kindergarten in 2013. costs should go down as DD gets older.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
Old 11-07-2011, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Our sitter quit today.  I have to laugh or I might cry.  So LOL.

Really, though, it is ok.  She gave a week's notice and we were looking at letting her go anyway, so it is going to work out for everyone.  I forgot that our local Montessori school opens at age 1.  I called and they had openings for both the boys, so they'll start there on Monday.  Now dh and I officially will spend $300 more a month than we make. :-l

Old 11-08-2011, 09:34 PM

$1400/month here for two.  Almost exactly one paycheck for me.  The money i do make goes 90% into bills, family expenses, savings, credit cards, which are necessary, but it is hard to get up in the morning knowing that none of it has any direct benefit for me.

ETA: sorry should have mentioned that I usually get 2 paychecks a month.  I'm on biweekly pay.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:35 AM

Yup, not looking forward to this, we only have our one DD now, but planning to start TTC sometime next year and we will have 2 in daycare for ~3 years and it will be a little over half my paycheck when we start at least. It is one of the reasons I put off TTC a bit longer than I might have.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

Old 11-12-2011, 07:22 PM

My daycare bill for DD just dropped from $300 a week to $186 a week. She is turning 2 this month and I switched daycares. My friend just went from $660 a week (for 2 kids) to $370 for both. We both felt like we got pay raises (single mamas)!

I feel like daycare should be govt subsidized but thats another topic.

First-time mama due on Dec 3rd 2009!
Update: Baby girl born Nov 19th!
Old 11-13-2011, 03:23 PM

Daycare costs don't get nearly the amount of visibility that college costs get. Having 2 in daycare is a year's worth of college tuition. Dependent care accounts only let you max out at 5k, and then if you have that, you can't take the child care tax deduction. Child care is more than most ppl's mortgage these days.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
Old 11-14-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy918 View Post

Daycare costs don't get nearly the amount of visibility that college costs get. Having 2 in daycare is a year's worth of college tuition. Dependent care accounts only let you max out at 5k, and then if you have that, you can't take the child care tax deduction. Child care is more than most ppl's mortgage these days.

But, not all daycares cost so much.  There are plenty of good choices that charge a very reasonable fee.  

Old 11-14-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post

But, not all daycares cost so much.  There are plenty of good choices that charge a very reasonable fee.  

This entirely depends on location.  There aren't childcares close to me that are affordable - I'm in the cheapest decent daycare in the area that works.  Seriously - $1400 for ONE child is the best price I can find that is convenient.  There is ONE daycare that costs $900/month, but when we visited it was a) FULL and b) had so many health violations they should be reported to the health department.  Seriously - a potty in the "kitchen" area with a kid peeing while the teachers were making food, chickens inside the classroom not in a cage (if they had been outside I would have been fine with it - they weren't contained at all), and not a single child in the 2-3yo "class" was talking or making any noise at all which was weird b/c it was right before lunch so they should have been.

The other options cost MORE - the next cheapest is $1,436, then $1,500 and up.  It's insane.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

This entirely depends on location.  There aren't childcares close to me that are affordable - I'm in the cheapest decent daycare in the area that works.  Seriously - $1400 for ONE child is the best price I can find that is convenient.  There is ONE daycare that costs $900/month, but when we visited it was a) FULL and b) had so many health violations they should be reported to the health department.  Seriously - a potty in the "kitchen" area with a kid peeing while the teachers were making food, chickens inside the classroom not in a cage (if they had been outside I would have been fine with it - they weren't contained at all), and not a single child in the 2-3yo "class" was talking or making any noise at all which was weird b/c it was right before lunch so they should have been.

The other options cost MORE - the next cheapest is $1,436, then $1,500 and up.  It's insane.

Ugh.. seriously?  I had no idea.  I charge $125 a week here, and I'm average.  The chain centers here are quite expensive, but still more reasonable.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Our daycare bill is about 300 more a month than our mortgage. It makes me want to cry.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcommercial View Post

Ugh.. seriously?  I had no idea.  I charge $125 a week here, and I'm average.  The chain centers here are quite expensive, but still more reasonable.

Yeah, its INSANE.  In my old city we had the most wonderful center, that was just over half that price, that fed him 3 meals/day PLUS a snack, PLUS a peice of fruit to eat on the way home.  They were amazing, but I couldn't find a job there, and then I landed my dream job in our new city, and costs are crazy.

I'll be honest though, in my old city I only saw terrible home daycares, so I haven't looked at any home daycares here.  Not that it would help, my job isn't in a residential part of town, and one of the best things about DS's daycare is that its right across the street from where I work - which I really love even though its pricy.  They staff are wonderful, and I'm starting to get to know some of the other parents, and its linked the university that I work at so most of the parents are affiliated with the university (if not all - we are given priority for the spaces).

Old 11-27-2011, 01:45 PM

Yea, DC is always in the top 3 most expensive cities to find childcare. We were also on the waitlist for the current daycare for 16 months. It's only affordable because its run by a church that subsidizes the rate will below market rate (which is $300-350 per week) in DC.

First-time mama due on Dec 3rd 2009!
Update: Baby girl born Nov 19th!
Old 11-30-2011, 12:15 PM

I hear you. We pay $1400/month for our daughter.  Its about half my paycheck. 

E married to J, angel1.gif 7/08, DD 10/09, DS 5/12

http://minimummama.blogspot.com/

Old 12-01-2011, 05:46 PM

Yeah - at this point this is why I still SaH, even though I'd like to be going back to school.  We can't swing even PT childcare costs.  Here you're looking at almost $1000/mo for 3 half-days a week.  We can't swing that, and with #2 on the way, it's even worse.  I'd have to be working FT just to pay for daycare/preschool, I wouldn't be bringing anything home, and I couldn't go to school.  I'm just hoping that DS' autism dx means we can get him into subsidized preschool when he turns 3 (which we wouldn't qualify for without the dx). 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 12-08-2011, 08:30 AM

It's bad enough during the year, (one in FT daycare, 2 in after school), but I'm petrified of what it will cost during the summer.  This will be the first year that we will need to have all 3 kids in FT care in the summer, and I think it's going to cost about $2300/month. cold.gif

It's difficult to find college kids or even high school kids because most that come home end up working at the Lab, which pays a good $18-20/hr and they can get college credit for.

I know it will get easier as the kids get older but, it's really, really painful right now.

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

Old 12-08-2011, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, we'll have one that'll need care this summer too.  I told dh we might as well just hold about $1200 out of his bonus and put it aside to pay for it.  We're eeking out the $190/wk right now, but there is NO WAY we can afford $290 all summer. Just...no way.

User Tag List