Care.com in a small-ish college town? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-27-2011, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Does anyone have experience using care.com?  I live in a college town with probably 15k students and 20k regular residents.  I need in-home care for DD on weekends while DF and I are both at work, I'm just leery of using such a service.

DD 2/08
#2 of 3 Old 11-27-2011, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I do! I live in a smaller college town then what you do. I've used care.com very successfully as well as craigslist and sitter city to find sitters. My first venture into finding a sitter off the net was sitter city about a year ago where I found an awesome girl who had just graduated, that lasted a few months and then she finally found a job in her major. My next find was off craigslist right when college got out for summer so there is a glut of students looking for work. She stayed with us through the summer and then went to grad school. And that brings me to my current full time nanny that I found off of care.com. All 3 have been amazing. I have used many college students previously over the years, usually I get a phone # from a friend or a flyer from the co-op (small town, flyers are still huge here!) but being college students, their schedules changed every semester and often I could only use one for one semester before their school hours would not work with my work hours. My work hours are during the weekday, daytime hours so it can be hard finding someone that is available. 

I have had better luck off of the websites. In my town there are several pages of college students looking for part time work and with you needing weekend work, that is a huge bonus. Some have reviews and ratings, some do not. Mine from sitter city had great reviews, my current one did not and actually her info on the page had not been updated recently. I start looking through the listings, I first look for when they had logged on and pick the ones i like out of the most recent log ins. And then I narrow down from there. I have found that not all of them get back to you. In Sep when I was nanny hunting again I probably emailed 10 sitters and got a response from 3. I ask for references, as while as set up a time to chat for them if I like what they say in the email. I check the references and then see what "my gut" tells me on the interview. Next is meting my kids while I am still in house and see what my kids think of them.

My best college sitters over the years have been about 22-24 years old. I don't rule out younger ones, but I have had more 19-21 year olds that flake out on me then the slightly older ones. I would suggest either having one main person and a back up or two people that you rotate through in case something comes up, you aren't left scrambling. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#3 of 3 Old 12-03-2011, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

care.com was a God-send for my family.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page