If you breast fed past 1 year. .. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 12-27-2011, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
How long did you keep pumping at work? Recently got ds mostly night weaned (around midnight to 530) and am only pumping twice during the work day. He drinks 13 oz of milk during daycare, which is whatever I pumped previous day + cow milk. Really wanting to be done pumping, but not sure if I should... He will still nurse around 4 times daily (once in am & then after work, to sleep, & around midnight) & on demand weekends. Assuming I don't lose my supply anyway.

sent from my phone using tapatalk, please forgive typos

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#2 of 23 Old 12-27-2011, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I stopped pumping around 13 months, but DS hardly drank any breast milk at daycare, so it was being dumped. It didn't hurt my supply, and I nursed him right after I picked him up. He is almost 2 now and still nurses up a storm

sleepytime.gif
#3 of 23 Old 12-27-2011, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I nursed DS until he was 3. I pumped at work until he was 11 months. I just kept nursing him at night and in the evenings. He ate food during the day at daycare. Never effected my supply that I could tell.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#4 of 23 Old 12-27-2011, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

OMG why am I still doing this? LOL. Although... Cows milk is pretty expensive & mine is free! wink1.gif

#5 of 23 Old 12-27-2011, 08:52 PM

I pumped last semester in school for my young toddler (13 months when I started), only on days I would be gone for more than just a couple of hours. I would have been too uncomfortable without it! Also, DD can't have cow's milk, so it's mom's milk or water for her. I think I'd be fine not pumping at this point if she could have some other kind of milk, but alas, not an option.

I haven't decided if I will pump or not next semester. My supply is lower, she's nursing less, and I don't know if there will be a place for me to pump because I'll be in a new spot for clinicals.

L, student nurse and married to A, my union man. Happy parents to little S!   joy.gif

#6 of 23 Old 12-28-2011, 06:10 AM

My DS turned one on Monday. I'm planning on TODAY being my last day to pump- he's got his 12-month well baby visit tomorrow, and assuming the doctor says it's fine, I'll be done! He'll still be getting breastmilk for a while, as our freezer stash isn't gone yet.

I'm trusting what I've read other mamas say, that my supply will be fine for evening/night/weekend nursing even without pumping. I plan to nurse for as long as he wants!

Jo - WOHM to E 12/26/10, Wife to SAHD DH.

cd.gifslingboy.giftoddler.gifbelly.gif

#7 of 23 Old 12-28-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post

I nursed DS until he was 3. I pumped at work until he was 11 months. I just kept nursing him at night and in the evenings. He ate food during the day at daycare. Never effected my supply that I could tell.

This.  Although my ds3 is only 15 months, but he's still nursing away happily at night and on weekends.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#8 of 23 Old 12-30-2011, 02:56 PM

I pumped until DS was 19.5 months. He decided on his own to cut back taking bottles at around 17 months and it took me just over 2 months to cut back my pumping schedule so that I was not uncomfortable during the day. I ended up pumping about a month after he completely gave up on his bottles.

He is now 21 months and nurses at wake up, when I get home from work, bedtime, and ALL NIGHT LONG. He might throw in an extra nursing during the day on the weekends (several extra when sick) but I've had no problems keeping up with him. He drinks water during the day and we've never tried cow's milk with him. The kid could live on cheese though. :)

WOHM: Married 2002. partners.gif Dog parents 2005. dog2.gif DS arrived 3/3/10. Newbie expected late June 2013. slingboy.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gif

#9 of 23 Old 12-30-2011, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quit pumping with enormous relief on DD1's first birthday.  Hand expressed as needed for 1-2 months more.  Still nursing (barely - once every 3-4 days) at 2.5.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#10 of 23 Old 12-31-2011, 01:58 PM

I pumped at school (DS's daycare was just down the hall!) until DS was about 14mo. I hated it, so then I just stopped. He refused bottles with my milk though (took formula at his dads in a bottle no problem...), so I had no reason to keep pumping. He self weaned right around his second birthday.

#11 of 23 Old 01-01-2012, 11:44 AM

I pumped for both of my girls for 11-12 months.  The oldest continued to nurse until 5.5.  My little one is 3 and still nurses daily.  We didn't switch to cow's milk after I stopped pumping.  I believe the daycare gave them whole milk with their meals, but we just served water and table foods at home.  They do sometimes drink cow's milk now.  Not often though.  :)  I have to say, I HATED pumping!  lol.  It was such a relief to stop.  It didn't hurt our nursing relationships at all.  :) 

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

Computer Engineer- I write better in 1's and 0's. ;-)
#12 of 23 Old 01-03-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing! I'm still pumping twice a day but for shorter amounts of time. DS has also slept through the night the last 2 nights though I have no idea why or if that would continue. He recently moved into the toddler room at daycare so he wont even be getting a sippy cup soon. The only negative I can see is that I'll have even less time online once I stop!

#13 of 23 Old 01-03-2012, 12:08 PM

Pumped until 11 months and had a freezer stash to make it a little past 12 months. Night weaned around then too, my supply took a but of a hit but we kept nursing strong until 2.5.
#14 of 23 Old 01-03-2012, 04:10 PM

I was off for the first year of DD life.  When I started back to work at a year I came home for lunch to nurse for a month.  I never pumped. I nursed her to 2 years.

#15 of 23 Old 01-28-2012, 07:00 AM

I nursed my son to 18months and my daughter to just over 2 years. I returned to full time work after approxiamtely being home for 12 weeks for both kids.

I stopped pumping around 1 year because by then both my children had transitioned to reversed schedules (actually between 3-6 months) where they nursed the most when I was home and at night. That made for a psycho-mama occasionally but it worked for us. My daughter hated taking a bottle, but my son did ok.

#16 of 23 Old 01-31-2012, 04:41 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I pumped until 18m with my first and until 24m with my second. My first self-weaned within a few months of stopping pumping so I chose to pump longer to try and maintain at least a small supply.

I'd personally recommend pumping at least a little bit until you are comfortable with them weaning. It is a myth that all toddlers will just adjust. For some WOH moms, pumping is a must if you want your toddler still nursing at home.

#17 of 23 Old 02-08-2012, 11:11 PM

I pumped until she was just a little over a year old.  I hated pumping, and I waited tables as well which is really hard to pull off when having to pump.  It never broke her stride though, the kid nursed until she was 4 y/o.

#18 of 23 Old 02-10-2012, 07:09 PM

This is so long ago now!  I breastfed past a year for all three, nearly to three years with the second and nearly to four years with the last.  I didn't pump at all past 6 months, and that's even though I went back to work by 6 weeks with the first two (not the norm for Canada, but I was self employed at the time) and at 10 months for the youngest.  They all made up for nursing with night nursing and I did a night time pump for a little day time coverage when water and solid foods wouldn't do.  I had no problems with milk supply, but I was one of those people who always had issues with surplus.  Still, I found night nursing had a greater affect on supply than being away daytime.  They all coslept so that night nursing wasn't difficult.

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

#19 of 23 Old 02-12-2012, 12:12 PM

I pumped until 14 months. I wasn't able to get much milk out by using the pump at that point. DS would nurse before and after work and drink water or soymilk while I was at work.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#20 of 23 Old 02-13-2012, 06:36 AM

Hm. I returned to work when DD was 10 months (gave birth later so had a shorter mat leave). Pumped from 10 months till 14 months, even though I discovered I had high lipase and had to scald my milk every, friggin, day before bringing it to the daycare. I pumped once a day, at lunch, and usually got about 7 oz. from my double-electric. Eventually though, it became harder and harder to get the same amount of milk probably because we reverse-cycled, Soon enough, DD started eating purees and there was no need to pump anymore after that. I nightweaned her around 14-15 months, so we nursed for the last time around 10 p.m., and then again st 5 a.m., then right before leaving at 7 a.m., and at daycare drop-off at 8 a.m. I nursed her again at pick-up at 5 p.m. and then maybe once or twice throughout the evening.

#21 of 23 Old 02-14-2012, 06:38 PM

Still nursing ds2, nursed ds1 until 27 months old. Both times I stopped pumping at 12 months.

Kelly, wife to my wonderful DH , and mom to DS1 born 1/20/2008 and DS2 born 7/14/2010 by VBAC.
#22 of 23 Old 02-16-2012, 06:03 AM

I stopped pumping when she was 13 months and switched to cow's milk at daycare then and we kept BFing at home in the evenings and on the weekends until she was 18 months with no supply issues and that is when I decided it was the right time to stop BFing for me. Just make sure to really gradually reduce your pumping to lessen the chances of issues, I went super slowly, more slowly that i probably had to, but I didn't want to have gone that whole time with no big issues only to have some because I tried to rush dropping pumping!

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#23 of 23 Old 02-21-2012, 10:30 PM

I quit pumping at a year (she drank cow's milk during work days) and nursed until 18 months. Both transitions went very smoothly for us.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page