2012 Student Mama Accountability Thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-15-2012, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just can't seem to finish my last big essay for this grad course. It's not a question of motivation...it's a question of time and energy. Things at work at NUTS and at the end of the day, when DD is in bed at 8:45, I don't have the brain power.

I have to find a way to finish this thing because the tutor gave me an extension till March 20th. I have to hand in this fourth assignment, write a 1 page formative assignment for one of my peers and then write a short 5th assignment evaluating my progress in this course. ARG LET IT END ALREADY!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 01:56 PM

OMG, I am procrastinating SO MUCH lately! It's really insane.  I sent in Ch1 to my advisor and have heard NOTHING in return. Not even a quick, "got it, thanks". It's so infuriating. Part of me wants to write the entire rest of the dissertation and shove it up her nose, but the rest of me keeps panicking and saying to myself that I haven't heard back because it's just that terrible and she's going to reject the entire thing so why bother moving forward.  I can rationally tell myself that no matter what I will need a literature review (the chapter I'm on now), but I just keep getting stuck. I'm so annoyed with her for being a road block that I'm making myself an extra large road block.  banghead.gif

The killer is that this chapter is the bulk of the whole thing. It's probably going to be about 45 pages and the rest of the entire thing will only be about 30 pages beyond that, in three more chapters.  So, really, once this is done, the rest is just a quick slide into home... but yet I am still stuck.  DW is likely to be SO MAD if I don't make a massive amount of progress here soon as I have been dragging this thing out for more than three years now.  I really have no excuse. I tell myself that I need a large block of time to work.. and then when I carve out the time (took a sick day today), I tell myself that I have so much time today it won't matter if I play around on facebook for a little while (FIVE HOURS>!?).  I literally just wasted five hours on facebook. I can't even remember what has helped me to be successful in the past. There's not really even any brain power involved at this point, just gluing together what I've already done. Why, oh why can't I make any progress?? dizzy.gif

**whooo, I wrote one. effing. paragraph.  Someone smack me already.**

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
Old 05-03-2012, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Subbing

Hello to all the hard working mamas!

I'm currently mulling over my options. I'm looking at either a PhD in Indigenous Studies or a postgraduate program in Indigenous Policy here in Australia. I have a MA in Cultural Anthropology and BA (Hon) in Native Studies. The PhD program is 4 years long, 100% research. No tuition fees for postgraduate research degrees. Luckily, my husband is supportive of whatever I choose to do. 

Reading over this thread reminds me of trying to finish my MA thesis. I had finished the fieldwork and interviews early on, but then ill health and the death of our first baby derailed my program. I finally finished it, writing the whole thing in about 12 weeks after my department advised me that I had to either finish it or leave. My DD was 14 months old when I started writing. I had no childcare. It was crazy. She'd get me up at 5 am, I had her all day, then would write from the time DH came home from work until 1 am every night. Repeat. LOL. I made it to the library on weekends.

Anyway, I must be mad for thinking about it...I think I'm getting flashbacks now... wink1.gif Seriously though, I appreciate the honesty and experiences shared in this thread. Kudos.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   nearly 10 years old; DS  6.5 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

Old 05-21-2012, 10:51 PM

Hi! I hope I can join you all!

- Who you are: I'm a single mother of a 6 and 1/2 year old daughter. I'm currently working as a substitute teacher, but will soon be unemployed when the school year ends.

- What you are studying: I am planning to start attending law school in September of this year to earn a JD.

- Where you are in your progress: LSAT is done, apps are done, final decision done, just looking for housing and trying to get to a place where I feel confident that this will work out.

- Goals for the month/semester/term: None of this yet. My biggest goal right now is finding summer employment to save moving expenses and finding an affordable apartment near school.

- Any major challenges you may have - where you need support: Right now I'm just so unsure of whether I'm making the right decision. I have no support from my family on this, but they rarely support me on anything.

I read through all the previous posts; nice to meet you all! wave.gif

Old 05-22-2012, 01:26 PM

Ok I'm baaaaaaaack. Finished the last course I was working on with a nice juicy A+.

I'm now studying FT, doing my masters' degree. Aieeee someone save me! This semester, I've got 1 undergraduate course in adult education, and 2 graduate courses in distance education (one rather theoretical and one regarding online tutoring). So far, I tried working on all three courses at once but it got WAY to confusing because the topics were all very similar, as were the reference articles. I've chosen to work through 1 course at a time, until I complete a required assignment. Then I'll put that course aside and jump into the next one, proceeding in the same manner. I hope I'll be able to complete all my courses and assignments by the deadlines assigned...the undergraduate course ends September 27th, while the two graduate courses (the ones I haven't started yet!), finish at the end of August.

Right now, I've completed 50% of the readings and activities for the undergraduate course, and I'm in the middle of writing my first assignment for the course, which will be worth 50% of the final grade. So yeah, gotta make sure it kicks butt. I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment with having to produce quality writing in a short period of time. Generally, I let my essays "marinate" for days on end, so that I can look at it again and see the main discrepancies. Now I have to just produce brilliance within a matter of days so that I can move onto the next course. ARG!

8 pages down. 2 to go.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Wow, you are all doing amazing things!

- Who you are

WAHM (translator) to 2 girls, ages almost 9 and 12. Got my BA/MA pre-kids, then DH got his master's while the kids were little and he was staying home with them. When DH got his teaching job, we switched roles, and I went from working overtime as the sole breadwinner to working part-time plus taking care of the kids/household and ultimately going back to school last summer. I also volunteer, but had to give up one of my two volunteer gigs because I need to refocus on work and school, and it was just taking up too much time.

- What you are studying

Attending a local community college for a paralegal certificate to add a specialization to my translation business. Considering what to do after that. Have fleeting thoughts of law school, usually pushed down by thoughts of not getting in (even though my advisor thinks I could), not being able to afford it, not being able to hack it time-wise plus work. Looking around for master's possibilities. I have found a few in law for non-lawyers. Right now - one step at a time, which means one course per semester max.

- Where you are in your progress

Completed 3 of the 4 core courses, then I have at least 4 electives after that. Contemplating whether to drop the fourth I signed up for this summer and pick up in the fall. The third course was a bit of a disaster (I got a good grade, but some interpersonal and other stuff was poorly handled by the prof and I ended up on not-great terms with a few of the other students), so I'm thinking a break might be in order.

- Goals for the month/semester/term

Decide whether to continue in the summer or pick up in the fall. Look for opportunities to use the certificate in my business - I am working on some options with existing clients already.

- Any major challenges you may have - where you need support

lurk.gif Interested in reading about how everyone else juggles school plus kids & work. My kids are older, but I still find it difficult to fit everything in.

harmonyhouse - Would love to hear about the LSAT and how that went.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Old 05-29-2012, 07:58 PM

Hi, I'm Ashley. Im a single mama to a wonderful 4.5 year old boy. My mom lives with us, which helps, but the issues make it almost not worth it. I'm working on my AS in sign language interpreting and the certification is part of the degree. I did a couple semesters online of my basics, and some unnecessary classes ( I was doing early childhood education, but switched). This was my firth semester in person since I graduated high school in 2001! I took 4 classes, asl 1, intro to the deaf community, math 301, and speech, and I got all a's while working almost full time, I was so proud smile.gif I'm taking asl 2 and an online firrst aid class thiis summer, and tentively 5 classes in the fall. I have 2 years left. My goal is to keep my a's, and to prepare for the mid program exam next spring

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
Old 05-31-2012, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

- Who you are

- What you are studying

Who you are?

I'm Heather  wave.gif

What you are studying?

I am working on my Masters in Counseling Psychology and MFT (Marriage & Family Therapy) licensure.

Where are you in your progress?

I'm just finishing up my 2nd years of studies and a supplemental traineeship working as a school-based counselor.  In July, I begin my 3rd and final year of studies and my "official" practicum (aka traineeship).  

Goals for the month/semester/term?

Right now, I just want to finish up (ok, I actually need to get it started blush.gif) this stupid paper that is due in 6 hours.  lol.gif  Beyond today, I need close out all of my client charts by June 11, take a psychopharmacology final and enjoy a couple of weeks of vacation before July.  

Major challenges you may have - where you need support? 

The only major challenge I have right now is a serious lack of motivation and desire to do anything.  I didn't realize the personal emotional impact of client termination, so I am in a bit of an emotional awkwardness right now.   

Ok, I should probably get started on this paper.  Ugh!  uhoh3.gif 

Old 06-01-2012, 02:01 PM

I haven't been on this thread in a while - it's been busy! There were some complications with my pregnancy and when I was 30 weeks pregnant the doctor mentioned that early delivery may be a possibility, so I had to have steroid injections and was told baby could come anytime. I was also told to rest (ha - like that's easy!) and finishing off my chapters was tough work with all the added stress. I had visions of writing up in the NICU. :-/ 

But in the end, I made it to 39 weeks AND I finished the thesis, and three days after I submitted I was induced and gave birth to a lovely baby girl who is now doing great. Better yet, her brother loves her! :D Definitely a lot of luck involved!! So now I'm just trying to prepare for the defense, which already has me nervous (it's a month away). I'm so bad about talking about my work, I'm worried I'll blow it by saying something stupid or going completely blank when asked a simple question. Eek. Anyone else thinking about their defense/exams yet?

Holland73 - How did the paper go?

Old 06-01-2012, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime View Post

I haven't been on this thread in a while - it's been busy! There were some complications with my pregnancy and when I was 30 weeks pregnant the doctor mentioned that early delivery may be a possibility, so I had to have steroid injections and was told baby could come anytime. I was also told to rest (ha - like that's easy!) and finishing off my chapters was tough work with all the added stress. I had visions of writing up in the NICU. :-/ 

But in the end, I made it to 39 weeks AND I finished the thesis, and three days after I submitted I was induced and gave birth to a lovely baby girl who is now doing great. Better yet, her brother loves her! :D Definitely a lot of luck involved!! So now I'm just trying to prepare for the defense, which already has me nervous (it's a month away). I'm so bad about talking about my work, I'm worried I'll blow it by saying something stupid or going completely blank when asked a simple question. Eek. Anyone else thinking about their defense/exams yet?

Holland73 - How did the paper go?

partytime.gif  banana.gif Congratulations on the baby girl AND for finishing up your thesis!!!  Two major accomplishments all at once... I'm impressed!  thumbsup.gif

My paper was completed and turned in last night.  Hallelujah!!!  Now, it's just a matter of finishing up client files and taking my psychopharmocology exam, which won't be too difficult as I have a ton of knowledge and experience the topic already.  

Old 06-02-2012, 07:19 AM

Wow, ladies, I've been MIA for quite a while, and you've all accomplished so much!

Onedayatatime - Congratulations! My DH keeps saying that I have to give birth to my dissertation before I give birth to another baby! Haha! But to do both at the same time, so impressive!

The good news is, I've been offline because I've been busy busy busy. I (sort of) wrapped up the first half of my fieldwork in Costa Rica, and we packed up house (the only home dd has known since she was born in Nov....made me kind of sad, but goodness this little nomadic baby will see so many place by the time she's one!), fit our lives into 2 suitcase, found a foster family for our cats, and hopped a bus to Nicaragua! We've been here for two weeks, and I've already done one interview! I've got 2 more lined up for today. The change of scenery and the motivation to be done with this already have given me new focus I think. It also helps that my Magdalena is all smiles these days and is happy to wander the streets of Granada grunting or screeching at people (she is no delicate flower, I tell you), which, thankfully, folks find charming and not alarming. My dh has also been a trooper, and it turns out all it takes to keep him happy is a sporting event on tv every night, a couple of cold beers while enjoying the evening breeze downtown, and a pool to cool off in the hottest part of the day. Actually, that recipe keeps all of us happy.l

The only negative has been that before we left Costa Rica, Magda and I both had respiratory infections and the antibiotics gave her quite a case of thrush. So we're battling sore nipples (mine) and a nasty fuzzy mouth (hers), but I think we're finally making some progress.

Now if I could just catch up on fieldnotes, but I guess you can't have everything, right?

Keep up the good work ladies!

Old 06-04-2012, 01:27 PM

Can I join? :) 

- Who you are

I'm Chelsea, finishing my last semester of undergrad coursework and writing my thesis for the Honors College. My last undergrad class ends August 10th, and I start graduate school on August 20th. My DD is 4, will be 5 in July, and I am a semi-single parent (currently partnered but considering the single life again, all while coparenting with DD's dad).

- What you are studying

My undergraduate degree will be a B.S. in Literature, Language, and Writing. My MA program will be in Written Communication, Teaching of Writing. I have a Graduate Assistantship for fall, meaning that I will be teaching one section of ENGL 120 Writing the College Experience and working in the University Writing Center. It's a two year, 30 credit program, though my GA pays for 18 hours of tuition per year so I do plan on taking all 36 hours if possible. I begin school two weeks prior to the normal semester start date because one of my grad classes is to prepare us for teaching our first college course. 

Currently taking an online class, an Independent Study, and working on my Honors Thesis (which is essentially comparable to a MA thesis).

To finish this thesis, for one! I'm content with my progress right now - still reading, doing some writing - I'm at about 9 pages single spaced, and this will eventually be about 40-50 pages double spaced I think? I've organized some rough chapter ideas and I've only written on about half of them, so I think I'm doing pretty well! :) My thesis is on the relationship between craft and composition.

I'm trying to assess whether or not I'll be able to make ends meet on my own. I'm currently partnered (live-in boyfriend), but will potentially be separating. The problem is that my full-time student status, as well as the GAship, were a result of my partner paying rent (and thus me being relieved of said expenses). DD's dad also wants to go back to school, so making that happen is a necessity. I'm really looking forward to following more support here - I've posted concerns on and off - it's been really helpful to read about others' experiences. 

(sort of) single mama to one hearts.gif7/21/07. student, breastfeeding advocate, writer 

Old 06-09-2012, 10:55 PM

Ragana, the LSAT was actually a pretty enjoyable experience for me. I studied a lot, independently, using various LSAT prep books. I did well on the test, too. 75th percentile.

Alas, I have decided this is NOT the year for law school. I need some income. And I just feel like I should be teaching. I subbed most of last school year and am actually considering looking more seriously into getting Montessori teacher training. I am all over the board and making myself dizzy! dizzy.gif

Good luck to all of you!

Old 06-25-2012, 07:24 PM

Oh my heavens, I just finished another chapter! Hell yes!  So now I am two chapters down, three to go!!!  Also, I finish my internship in nine weeks and we get to move home!  Hooray!

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)

Tags
Students
User Tag List