2012 Student Mama Accountability Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 01-06-2012, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi mamas! This thread is for student mamas to check in and support each other. You can come back on a daily, weekly, or semi-regular basis to check in on your progress.

Want to join in?

Let us know a little about you:

- Who you are

- What you are studying

- Where you are in your progress

- Goals for the month/semester/term

- Any major challenges you may have - where you need support

Hope this helps us all move forward!

#2 of 44 Old 01-06-2012, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

I'll get us started!

My name is Tracy. I'm a PhD candidate in Public Policy and ABD (all but dissertation). My research was approved December 2010 - which seems so long ago now since I had a baby boy last May. My study is qualitative - I am interviewing families with children with autism and state policymakers about the systems that support children and families. I have completed 8 of 12-20 interviews, and my advisor has suggested I analyze the data I have, so I am in the process of transcribing it. It is a very long process, so I just paid for one interview to be transcribed, but I am having a hard time justifying the cost.

My goal for January is to complete all the transcription - doing 1-2 hours a day and one 4 hour session per week. I'll start on Sunday! (We are in the car all day tomorrow returning from visiting in laws).

My biggest challenge is an 8 month old who doesn't nap in his crib and an exhausted mama with no energy to do anything once he is bed at night (I'm pushing myself here but motivated!). I also feel pulled by regular life and household responsibilities... I've almost given up on a clean house.

Looking forward to hearing from other mamas! I'll be back Sunday to update you all on my hour.

#3 of 44 Old 01-08-2012, 05:36 PM

I'm Teresa, studying psychology, I'm also ABD and have 2 funded terms left but 3 terms in the program left to finish. I have a 7 month old (who also won't nap in his crib - ha), and I am also very tired all the time. My thesis is experiment-based, and I have 2 experiments that can be included in the dissertation and 1 more underway. If I receive a scholarship to do postdoctoral research I'll have to finish my dissertation by the end of August 2012, so I have a lot of work to do this term to get to the point of handing in a draft to my committee. By the end of the term I need to have Experiment 3 completed, analyzed and written up and I need to have the dissertation pretty much written so that I can get things rolling before the end of the summer, it's along process from submitting the draft to defending, it takes about 8 weeks, so I have to be done by June to be safe. 

This week I'm going to be collecting data for the third experiment, and preparing a talk based on my topic's background research. I think I'll also start a document of my thesis just so that I can start filling it in and feeling official, after so many years in graduate school the thought of actually finishing is kind of surreal. 

In terms of when I work, I have grandparents babysitting 2-4 days a week (very lucky I know), and I am a night owl and get an evening burst of energy (even though I should be sleeping), so I will be trying to spend that energy on my work instead of on household maintenance for the next 12 weeks of the term. I am terrible at just leaving dishes and laundry to be done, I do everything immediately but to the detriment of resting and my work. 

#4 of 44 Old 01-08-2012, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Teresa! Glad you have joined me! I agree about starting a document and working from it. I got advice from someone - probably a fellow student - to write my acknowledgements. Then I would feel motivated or inspired to follow through - although maybe just guilty. Whatever it takes...

Just wanted to check in and say I worked for about an hour and a half on transcription tonight. I will finish this interview tomorrow. 

Tallying - 1/8 interviews transcribed 

Updated - 2/8 transcribed (9 Jan!)

#5 of 44 Old 01-11-2012, 01:08 PM

Hi, I'm K, an exhausted PsyD candidate on internship full time and with a DW and 17moDD at home. My dissertation is so far behind its pitiful, I can't get my advisor to get back to me, one of my committee members just told me he can't write a recommendation for postdoc for me because I don't have an approved timeline in, my other committee member moved across the country, and I really want to walk at graduation in May. It's giving me ulcers and really not any fun. 

My dissertation is program development and evaluation, so it's all just writing. I have several chapters with some written, and a detailed outline to get me through the rest, but I struggle to stop myself from attempting perfection with every sentence. I secretly think I'm delusional if I think I'll be done by May. If I can keep to my schedule and get prompt feedback from my committee it could be possible... But I just don't know. 

My goal is to finish and submit Chapter 1 by Jan 31.  That only requires one more small section, maybe five additional pages written. It should be possible. 

The bigger challenge will be completing Chapter 2 by Valentines Day. Lately I go to work an hour early every day to get some done. I think I need to add evenin work after E is in bed. I'm just so tired after a whole day with kids (internship is therapeutic partial care program for 2-6yos)... But I need to push and make it happen. 

Thanks for this thread!

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
#6 of 44 Old 01-11-2012, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, K! Thanks for joining us! So much of this process I have realized is just doing something every day. Setting goals and sticking to them is so hard though. It sounds like you are doing really well though and to walk in May - that's a fantastic goal! 

Are you involved with the American Evaluation Association, by the way? My advisor is involved in AEA, and I keep a student membership. 

#7 of 44 Old 01-13-2012, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Just checking in and wrapping up the week. I did between 30 minutes and almost 2 hours a night! I am trying to force the habit. So far it's working, although it is late, and I am tired. For the transcribing though I think it's okay - analyzing data when I am sleepy will be more difficult. 

Tallying is up to:

3 of 8 transcribed! 

#8 of 44 Old 01-15-2012, 06:26 AM

- Who you are

- What you are studying

My name is Denise.  I am a WOHM (i am a teacher at a school for hearing and speech delayed children.  I teach kindergarten.)  to DS(7) and DD(5)   With a new DD on the way!  I have a BA in religious studies and broadcast news and a BS in elementary education.  I am working on my MAE in literacy education with the hopes of working in a university setting at some point.  I have completed 15 hrs of 36 and will be taking 2 classes this spring.  

My goals are to keep my gpa up and keep up with things in a timely manner.  My classes are completely online and I'm due at the very end of the semester... I hope I can keep up!

Denise, Mama to DS1 (7) and DD1 (5) and new baby due June 2012!

#9 of 44 Old 01-15-2012, 01:18 PM

Tracy I like the idea of writing the acknowledgements to get the ball rolling, thanks!

I have papers written that will turn into my dissertation and some introductory stuff written up so I'm not in terrible shape but like the other parents I am just so tired every day it's hard to follow things through, plus it's winter and finally cold here and I just want to curl up until springtime. I am trying to motivate myself with how good it will feel to be done and to be able to wake up and not have this giant goal looming in my mind and over all of my activities. I spent my holidays cleaning and de-cluttering in the hopes that my daily life would be more manageable but I still feel like I'm fighting chaos every other day.

My goal is to not be a perfectionist this week and try to get various tasks started in a way that is 'good enough' if not perfect. This past week was taken up with preparing for a talk (that I gave on Friday), now that that is out of the way I want to get cracking on day-to-day things, I even had a dream last night where I was making a do-able to-do list with all of the little things my dissertation needs, so clearly I am ready to get going, hopefully my baby will co-operate as best he can and keep giving me a few solid hours of sleep, he was a little hard to settle the past few nights but he has his first teeth poking through so maybe that was why. 

Anyway I wish the other student mamas a good (enough) week! : )

#10 of 44 Old 01-16-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracylee View Post

- Who you are

- What you are studying

Hi Tracy, thanks for starting this thread!

- I'm M, WOTH FT single mama to a 3 year old girl. I work in a law firm which kind of sucks since it's not my field at all. I have a B.Ed. in secondary education, specializing in teaching English and religious studies, though it's been years since I taught in the classroom. I mostly taught privately to students with learning disabilities.

- At this point, I am doing my 3rd graduate course in a 30 credit graduate diploma in distance education. It's very slow going because I work 37 hrs a week and I've got my little girl with me all the time; I only do 1 course per term to avoid going insane.

- This term, I'm actually finishing off a 20 week online course I started in November in Instructional Design. I'd really like to finish the darn thing even though I despise the course. My deadline for my fourth essay is coming up really soon and I haven't yet decided on a topic...I'm considering  a new trend in instructional design: cultural diversity.

- My main challenge is this: last December my boss got a promotion which nearly doubled my workload...I had previously been able to find time at work to do some reading and writing, but now I end my days completely exhausted. Then I go home to be Super Mom and by 21h00 when DD is asleep, I'm too pooped to start studying...so...I'm in the last stretch and I REEEEEEAALLLLY need support!

#11 of 44 Old 01-16-2012, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Teresa - I hear ya on the fussy baby scene. We had a week of him only sleeping alone in his crib at night for about an hour at the most. Finally on Friday when I was too exhausted to do anything else but nurse him, he had a big poo and has slept pretty well since then! He still comes to bed with us when he gets up before we go to bed, but its nice to have more than an hour to rush and get something done (and take a breath). I also must give you my mantra (taken from a friend) - "Done is better than perfect." Okay - just repeat it a few dozen times!

Hi M - glad you can join us! Your boss got a promotion and you got more work.... hopefully you got a raise, too? Cultural diversity sounds like an interesting topic - I always found researching/writing about something that interested me kept me going in some of those awful classes. Hope this forum can be supportive!!

I ended up taking last night off. I didn't intend to I just sort of forgot about working on my dissertation. I guess it was my "holiday" break, since it's MLK Day here in the US. Although reading about and listening to his speeches got me fired up again about my work. A few quotes for student mamas (and papas)...

"Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable... Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals."

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."

Is anyone else working with qualitative data - I am really enjoying listening to my interviews and that is also helping me stay motivated. I have a responsibility to these families now to honor their time and experiences. 

#12 of 44 Old 01-18-2012, 11:06 AM

So, since typing this up, I actually have done almost nothing on my diss. :(  My advisor got back to me, finally, and she wants the entire draft in by Friday, but then thinks it will take til mid-June at the earliest to wrap the whole thing up. My hopes of walking for graduation in May are pretty much gone, which sucks.  I'd still love to try to push for mid-May to finish so that I don't have to pay tuition for the summer semester just for a few weeks of wrap up, but I feel downhearted about that as well. The whole thing just feels horrible these days, I can't stand my topic, no one else cares, I feel totally isolated about it. It's just miserable. It's so much more fun to play with my DD and spend all of my non-working hours with her! I'm completely disillusioned and annoyed now, but I need to make myself do it anyway. My debt is just too great to not finish. 

Can anyone give me pointers on how to do something that you really hate but must do?  How do I force myself to sit down and do this? 

#13 of 44 Old 01-18-2012, 01:22 PM

Osker...how about doing it in spurts? Commit to only short bursts of work and then set it aside. Schedule say, 20 minutes, set a timer, and then brainstorm like your life depends on it. Get back to it later and organize what you've written, working only in short periods of time. Before you know it, you'll have some material to work with.

I'm facing the same thing with my current essay (heck the whole course too)...don't want to do it but HAVE to.

#14 of 44 Old 01-18-2012, 01:22 PM

Wow mama's! Your all so hard working with such young babies, congrats on your success!

Im Shawna, studying early childhood education (which i was doing for an undergrad for teachers college, but now im just not sure, I just want to start working!)

Im in my second year, moved back to Toronto, was waitlisted to continue my program, nothing for fall semester and ended up returning home for Winter anyways so Ill be finished into next semester

My goals are to get honours, ive been hovering at 78.5 GPA first year, however was working 4 days a week on top of full time studies so hopefully i wont be so drained this semester that I can remain focused (But i miss and want to work!)

Got some big projects that I need to get a nice head start on, but truthfully, this is just a diploma program and nothing compared to the work load you Phd students have

I need to stop procrastinating, I always leave things to the last minute, but prefer it in its own right 

I hear you osker, all I want to do when I am actually home is play with my son and plan fun things to do, I miss being off with him, going to community activites, etc. 

Ive been having 8 am class, which is an hour away, up at 6am and by the time my son normally goes to bed ( 9pm on a good night by the time Im downstairs) Im exhausted

and has anyone tryed concentrating on writing academic papers with a toddler around? its practically impossible, no matter how fantastic of an activity is set up, you maybe get 15 mins bought

He was 1yr when I started, now is 2 and a half, Im struggling with daycare now as well, he hates it and cries and so do I 

A Toronto born young mama blowkiss.giffreshly moved for a new adventure in ALBERTA! with Superdaddy superhero.gifand her intact and vax free, breastfed and babyworn Aug09 babenono02.gif attending college for early childhood educationwhale.gif   and being blessed with #2 just in time for Valentines Dayheartbeat.gif pos.gif

#15 of 44 Old 01-20-2012, 11:05 AM

Hello! I'm finally getting around to saying hello! I'm a SAHM to a 2.5 yo challenging DS (boy does he have energy!) and one surprise on the way in May. :D We have no childcare and no nearby family to help out, so it's tough. I'm in the finishing stages of a PhD in anthropology, so all my work has been researched by participant observation, qualitative interviews, surveys and a plethora of other techniques. Now I've been trying to put all that research data into a constructive argument. The hard part for me is consistency and flow, because my time to work on the thesis is so disjointed that my arguments have become muddled and my chapters a little repetitive. Ugh.

Since I posted in the other thread on PhD parents, I've had a long chat with both my advisors. My goal was to submit a final draft in February, sit my defense in March, finish inevitable corrections and re-submit in May, have a baby, then graduate in July. But my advisors have both been reluctant to have me commit to a February deadline given how little time I have to work on the thesis (I tend to work some evenings and 12-hour weekends). My DH works full time and travels 2 days out of the week to complete his own course (which isn't thesis-based, thank goodness!). So I've decided to take the time and drastically edit the entire thesis, rearranging large chunks and forming a tighter, more cohesive argument and submit the final draft in May. I'll sit my defense in June with a newborn, and then have the summer to work on potential corrections (about 90% of students end up getting minor corrections to fix, so I'm expecting them). So since that talk with my advisors, I've begun reorganisation on CHapters 1 - 3. So far it's going well and I'm excited again to be working on this thesis (rather than bored lol!). I've also had a nasty stomach bug and have been lacking in energy and general good health the last week or so so tonight I'm taking it easy. Back to the grind tomorrow!

I also found writing my acknowledgments to be hugely motivating when writing up, but strangely, now that I'm at the point to really start thinking about it, I've found that what I want to say is not what I've wanted to say all along. For some reason, I now feel weirdly embarrassed to write my acknowledgments and I'm not sure why. I also feel a bit embarrassed that I won't be submitting in Feb after all, like others in my dept will look down on me for submitting a bit later because I've gone and "got myself knocked up again". BUt that's probably just my own paranoia. To be fair, this is my fifth year doing this PhD and I really feel I should have finished last year, but I've also had a baby, organised and hosted a conference, published four articles and guest-edited a journal edition. Yet none of that feels like an accomplishment compared to an unfinished thesis. :(

#16 of 44 Old 01-21-2012, 04:59 PM

Onedayatatime, I totally hear you on feeling under-acomplished due to not finishing yet.  I actually jumped into applying for postdoc to give myself a push and realized, as I was writing my CV and cover letters, that I actually have done a lot! A lot more, compared to my classmates, and really good stuff...

BUT, it's easy to push it all down and ignore it because the dissertation is still looming over me. dizzy.gif

#17 of 44 Old 01-23-2012, 06:39 AM

I'm glad that there are others that feel this way! My friends tell me to focus on what I've done that's positive so far, but all I can see how far there still is to go. It's a bit overwhelming at times and when I feel overwhelmed, I have a hard time concentrating on the task at hand. Which means my work goes very slowly. And then it's just a self-perpetuating cycle! 

I have more time this week then usual (MIL is babysitting!!!! It means my DS is two hours away and I miss him LOADS, but he's well cared for and I reall should buckle down!). So my goals might be a bit, erm, enthusiastic, but I'd love to have completed the revisions for CH 1-3 and have a decent amount of CH 4 underway...

#18 of 44 Old 01-23-2012, 05:15 PM

OMG!! I sent my advisor Chapter One!!!

It really feels like some day I could move on from this huge albatross!!!!

Good luck, onedayatatime, having the kiddo out of the house is a huge help!

Now onto Chapter 2 by Valentine's Day. If I get it done I'm going to make DW get a babysitter so we can go out just the two of us!

#19 of 44 Old 01-23-2012, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Hi mamas. I am feeling very negligent!! I have not done anything since maybe last Wednesday! My husband had a trip out of town Thursday-Sunday, which totally messed up any routine or schedule around here. I think I had one night with about 30 minutes to do dishes before the babe was awake and wanted nursing back to sleep. This was also after I put him to sleep in his swing, since he just wouldn't settle in his crib. Husband comes home and babe sleeps last night like a dream. Guess he just missed his daddy!

So, I am going to get back to my interviews tonight - in a hour or so I hope. Still at 3/8 completed, but hoping to get to 2/3s of the current interview completed tonight. Thinking about paying to have another (long) interview transcribed. My fellow qualitative ladies - did you do your own transcription? Thoughts or advice? Thanks! 

#20 of 44 Old 01-24-2012, 10:54 AM

hi mamas...like tracylee, I've been rather, um, negligent. I've almost totally neglected my research and readings in favor of considering....dropping my FT job and going back to school FT to do a Masters' degree, instead of just the graduate diploma. I'm working on the logistics right now, but if things go as planned, I'd start at the end of February and it would take me about 1.5 yrs to finish the non-thesis Masters' degree. After that, I'll be broke but I'll at least have my degree. Hopefully, I can find work in my field then...

Ok, NEED to get to some reading on multiculturalism in instructional design. Ugh.

#21 of 44 Old 01-25-2012, 02:40 AM

Well done Osker!!! Yay! I hope you and DW have a fab date. ;-)

Tracylee - I had about 20 interviews or so to transcribe, and they were loooong interviews (about an hour and a half to two hours). I transcribed as many as I could before DS was born, then I transcribed as needed when I was writing up. There's very little chance that I'll need to produce the transcriptions for my work except in the form of short quotations, so this approach worked for me and my advisor agreed with me. However, I have a friend (with two boys now and expecting twins in June) who, in an effort to complete transcriptions before number one was born, hired someone to have hers transcribed. Or at least a few of them. In her case I believe it worked well because a) she had the money from her student loans to spend on transcription and b) it freed up a lot of her precious time to research/write, which we all know is at a premium. So for her, it worked well. I think if the money you spend on transcription is worth the peace of mind of having it done, then go for it. 

Halfasianmomma - That sounds like a good plan! Good luck! Btw, what's your field? There are some interesting articles on international influence on design in anthropology, but that may not be relevant to you. ;-)

#22 of 44 Old 01-25-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime View Post

Halfasianmomma - That sounds like a good plan! Good luck! Btw, what's your field? There are some interesting articles on international influence on design in anthropology, but that may not be relevant to you. ;-)

Onedayatatime...my masters' degree will be focused on developping a specialization in distance education, more specifically for adult learners. I am currently taking a class about instructional design methodology, and doing an assignment on recent developments in that field, hence the focus on cultural diversity.

#23 of 44 Old 01-25-2012, 11:29 AM

Halfasianmomma - ah, that makes more sense. I misunderstood your original focus. But that sounds really interesting!

#24 of 44 Old 01-26-2012, 01:16 PM

Hello mamas! I just found this and the original Phd thread, and was sooo excited!

I'm a new mom to an 8 week old and I'm in the middle of my dissertation fieldwork (anthropology). I finished my qualifying exams/proposal defense during my first trimester, announced my pregnancy to my (thankfully very supportive!) committee a week before the defense, then picked up and moved with DH to Costa Rica for research (full disclosure, DH is Costa Rican so his family is close by and very helpful). We won't move back to the US till Dec, when dd is 13mo. old.

I seem to remember getting some work done Aug-Oct, but then dd was born Nov 26th and I've only started remembering that I have a research project to finish! Yikes! My project concerns migrant families here in Costa Rica, so I am both researcher and research subject in some regards. Thankfully that means that dd can come along to most interviews and observations when DH can't watch her (or like right now, when she's nursing every 2 hours). I hope this thread will motivate me to start working again. This week I've finished revisions on an article in Spanish for a local journal, which is a requirement of my fellowship/affiliation here. Not exactly fieldwork, but it got me thinking again about the project and is definitely a box to tick off on the things I must do before I'm done. Of course, now I have to get our tax stuff in order and put together our consular report of birth abroad application for dd.

I know there's at least one anthropologist mama on here and am wondering if there are any more...I'm thinking about putting together a panel on family and fieldwork for the 2012 AAAs in San Francisco, but frankly, don't know enough other anthropologists with families!

Best of luck finishing up the week productively!

#25 of 44 Old 01-26-2012, 03:26 PM

- Who you are

- What you are studying

I am a new student, in my second semester.  I have been wanting to go back to school for over ten years but I wasn't able to until now due to having an old student loan.  It was finally paid off a year ago with our income tax and I started back to college in the fall.  I did fairly good in my first semester but I had two classes that I did badly in.  I got two A's, an A-, a B+, a C (in Biology), and a D (in Algebra 2).  I ended up with a 3.04 GPA which is good but I am pre-vet and I should have done better.

I have since discovered public health and I really feel that it would be a good path for me.  I think it is the true essence of what I want to do with my life.  I have not done a formal switch yet but I am taking PH classes this semester.

The problem is that I am very un-motivated this semester, despite a lot of really good reasons to be motivated.  Maybe I'm scared of getting bad grades again or whatever, I'm not sure.  I am in my 3rd week and I'm just so fed up with myself.  Last night I withdrew from a class (which may or may not end up being a huge mistake since I will get a W) and waited till the last minute to do three online class assignments.  There is NO reason why.  I had plenty of time I just couldn't focus.  When I did do them it was really interesting and I wasn't bored.

I'm mad at myself and I need to get it together!  I need to focus and keep up with my work.  I have 3 online classes (well, 3 and a 1 credit course that will be over in two weeks) and I'm re-taking Algebra 2 at school.  Algebra 2 is 7.5 weeks then I will switch to Algebra 3.  Algebra is really a challenge for me.

My ultimate goal at this point is a Masters in Public Health.  

Mom to DD 14 and DS 12
#26 of 44 Old 01-27-2012, 12:13 PM

Hi new mamas!

Caitiebluebug - yay, another anthropologist! I don't know how many of us there are, but there doesn't seem to many that I know either. I know of one other mum in my department and I knew OF another, but haven't ever met her. A conference sounds fun, and in SF to boot! If I could scare up the money, you could definitely count me in! I wrote a section of my methodology on how pregnancy changed the nature of my fieldwork contacts, and I know there's material out there. Congrats on getting back to work with a newborn too! I tried to work when DS was about 4 or 5 weeks old, but he was sooooo fussy and it just wasn't happening. I stressed about it a lot at the time, and in hindsight, I needn't have.

SugarGlider - I know that kind of apathy all too well. It definitely hits me some days and even though I know I should be motivated, I just can't focus. I end up giving up, feeling very frustrated at myself and my circumstances and feeling just guilty in general. Then other days are very good work-wise, so I try to hold on to those days and make the most of them. Sometimes you need to cut yourself some slack. ;-)

#27 of 44 Old 01-27-2012, 04:03 PM

Hi

Thank you for starting this.

I am L. I am working on becoming an occupational thearapist. I am half-way through my coursework. The program I am in is doctorate level and is mostly online- we do have labs here locally that are hands-on. This program is 3 1/2 years long. I have to take it one semester at a time otherwise I get to stressed/freaked out. We are in the early stages of research. We will be conducting a quantitative study looking at the types of complementary and alternative medicines used in practice by occupational therapists. I think my goals are the same this semester as previous ones: survival- pass my classes. I had been hoping for stellar grades at the beginning, but gave that up as with a little one there were just not enough hours in the day to study everything really well. Major challenges/support: Surviving home stress. My husband feels he may be laid off in the near future. I just need to be able to better compartmentalize stress and worry so that it doesn't cut into time I need for classes.

#28 of 44 Old 02-04-2012, 11:15 AM

- Who you are

- What you are studying

Hi all!

I am a mother to three children and started my schooling late.  I am in the interdisciplinary school of Rural and Northern Health, with a background in social work which were my undergrad and grad degree.  This is my first year and I will be finished my coursework this April. My goals are to finish my coursework and after that: start on my comp reading list.  I have my committee ready and we are meeting in two weeks for the first time. 

Challenges are the readings!  I procrastinate and then rush at the end to get it done.  This works but my body is taking a beating...I have high blood pressure and have started having migraines which last two to three days. 

I need to remember to do my readings, papers, and presentations in small bits or I get overwhelmed and my body pays for it. 

My children are 16, 5 and 7.  I have been with my husband since 1999, and have been married to him since 2008.  Without him I would not be completing my PhD.  He is my best friend and supporter in life.  :)

#29 of 44 Old 02-05-2012, 04:24 PM

Welcome new mamas! 

I've just sent off three revised chapters to my advisors. Five more to edit/revise, and I'm thinking these were the easy ones. I don't know, we'll see. I'm really nervous that after all this work, it still won't be good enough. It doesn't help that I've hit a bit of motivational slump and can't seem to get energised to work. Ugh. And the pressure is mounting to get it in for May, because I keep thinking this baby will come early (although I'm sure that Murphy's Law means it will be way overdue lol!). Otoh, if I can finish this, I'll have a baby at the end of it - how's that for a finishing present? orngtongue.gif

#30 of 44 Old 02-14-2012, 10:13 AM

How is everyone doing?

I finished my 1 credit class with a 94 but I'm still struggling to want to do my classwork.  I think that for Fall i'm going to go to more classes at school (instead of online classes) because I miss that face time.  The one class I have at school I just go in and work on a computer and I've never even talked to my teacher.  I think I need some interaction to help me stay motivated :)

Mom to DD 14 and DS 12

Tags
Students

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page