Running my own business and want to get out! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-18-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm feeling very overwhelmed right now. I've been running my own business for 15 years and now I want to move on from it, I just can't seem to find a way out. I only go to the office in the mornings, so have plenty of time for my 4 and 6 year old. But the financial stress is very severe right now as we've been in a recession here for the last three years. I'm pregnant with our third child (due in May) and just feel overwhelmed by responsibilities and stress. I would close it if I could but we would be left with massive debts. I've reduced our costs hugely and I hope to turn things around this year, but it really is so stressful to the point where I sometimes worry about the effect on this baby. I'm very worried about how I'll cope with everything come May and I also have sleep deprivation too...

My partner earns very well when he has work but it's also a rather unstable situation. He is also away two or three nights each week. I'm very used to that and we do fine, but it does add a bit to the general stress that I feel.

Over the last few years I've also trained as a childbirth educator and doula and really want to take my life in that direction. I just feel very stuck. I'm a very proactive person and I find it very hard to accept that I can't change things.

I don't know what advice I'm looking for. Perhaps I just needed a little vent :)

Happy mama to DS1 (2006), DS2 (2007) & DD (2012)

#2 of 3 Old 01-18-2012, 04:27 PM

I'm sorry you're dealing with so much stress during pregnancy! Without knowing much about the type of business, is there a way to scale it back even further for the time being without incurring more debt?

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#3 of 3 Old 01-22-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks MamaJen,

I'm feeling a bit better about things after taking a few positive steps the last week. I have a new accountant who is really helping out with the financial stress and who does seem to see some light at the end of the tunnel. And, at home we're looking to downscale on lots of levels in order to reduce our monthly costs. So that's all made me feel a bit more in control of the situation.

Happy mama to DS1 (2006), DS2 (2007) & DD (2012)

Tags
Working

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page