Any opinions on working 3 twelve hour shifts per week? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-31-2012, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Looking for advice.  I have 3  kids, ages 5, 3, and 1.  I presently work full-time Monday through Friday 7:30 -  4:00pm with a 45 minute commute to and from work.  I like my job, but I get "kid-sick" so bad sometimes that I can barely breath.  My husband works full-time but has Lupus with kidney involvement which could flare up at any minute so full-time work is my reality.  I am presently interviewing for a position that is 3 twelve hour shifts (could include weekends) and only a 15 minute commute.  The work would be challenging but rewarding.  Since it's a new job, it will be mentally exhausting and no doubt will be physically exhausting.  I would be leaving my "comfort zone" of my current position, but the thought of 4 days home with my babies sounds amazing.  The shift would be 9 am - 9 pm so for the those 3 days I would barely see my kiddos.  Childcare is not an issue.  DH is supportive either way.  Any thoughts?

Not sure how to update a post.  The initial info on the position was misleading.  Full-time is considered 14 shifts/month.  I am staying at my current position for now and focussing on the positives.  Thanks for everyone's input, I really appreciate it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 02-01-2012, 06:37 AM

That does sound like a tough decision!  When trying to put myself in that position, I am pretty sure I'd go for it.  Those 3 days will be exhausting but 4 days with your kids full time sounds wonderful.  And since you mentioned that childcare wouldn't be an issue, it really sounds like a good option to me.  Given your DH's health concerns, would he be dealing with dinner, bath, bed, etc. on those long days?  Is that feasible when he has a flare up?  Other than that and your own exhaustion on those days, I think 4 days off sounds wonderful!  Plus the new challenge - that's always a good thing.

#3 of 12 Old 02-01-2012, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I do it and I swear it feels like I'm a SAHM.  While it will be hard to adjust to at first, you will have loads of time with them the rest of the week. 

#4 of 12 Old 02-02-2012, 02:30 AM

One of the few things I miss about my old job in nursing is those twelve hour shifts!  Going into work less often was wonderful when the kids were young, and I really got to enjoy my days off with them.  Yes, they didn't see me the days I worked, but we had really good quality time together on the days off, and I felt like I had a solid block of time to get stuff done.  For me, it wasn't a good schedule to sustain once the kids were school age because DH was working twelve hour shifts as well (and some of his were also nights)  and we didn't have the schedule stability for kids activities or just "being there" when they needed a parent after school.  But it sounds like your husband won't have those types of shifts, and your kids are young, so go for it!

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

#5 of 12 Old 02-02-2012, 03:10 PM

I love the 12 hr shifts. Honestly I find that I see my kids less when I work the 8-4 type shift. It's just too frazzled and none of the time together is quality time except on the weekends. I used to work 4 on 5 off. The 4 in a row was a bit much but 3 is way easier. 

Proud Mama to DS 04/23/06reading.gif DD 02/18/09 modifiedartist.gif, 2 dog2.gif, and wife to wonderfuldh_malesling.GIF and adding another baby.gif. Here's my blog: http://nessabean.blogspot.ca/
#6 of 12 Old 02-04-2012, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I haven't done twelve but I have done ten hour shifts and it was very hard on my DD even in summer because it felt lime we didn't get as much time together. I was also very tired from the long hours and that didn't help things. I found that I prefer the eight hour shifts because we get to spend time as a family each day and I almost never feel drained of energy. My DD is school age though and that makes our schedule somewhat inflexible so that probably had a lot to do with how unsatisfied we both were with my long shifts.
#7 of 12 Old 02-04-2012, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the input.  I really appreciate all the great feedback.  I have decided that if offerred the position, I am taking it!!  I think that my greatest hesitation was concern regarding the mental and physical stamina required for the new job.  The last 6 years have been filled with pregnancies, nursing and sleep deprivation so I have been in a bit of survival mode at work.  It is kind of scary to take on a new challenge but I am ready.  Thankfully, childcare is not an issue because our Nanny would welcome the 3 day work week as well.  She would follow my schedule so she would be available to partner with DH to do the dinner/evening/bed-time routine.  If all goes well, we will have our Nanny for another 18 months before she takes a teaching position abroad.  Hopefully, at that time DH can quit or go to part-time.  He would quit now, but honestly, working outside the home is less stressful than being a stay at home Dad to 3 young kiddos, and we can't afford for him not to work and have childcare.  I was invited back to the next round of interviews so please wish me luck ;)

#8 of 12 Old 02-06-2012, 02:26 PM

Best of luck!  My sister is a nurse and works 12 hour shifts and she loves it.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#9 of 12 Old 02-06-2012, 04:43 PM

DP does long shifts a few days a week and while it really sucks not seeing her much on those days, its great having her home all day so many days a week! Its hard to get used to, but well worth it!

DP to Sara, two crazy kids running around, lil dude born 11-1-11babyf.gif and the new guy is home !! babyboy.gif  (5/2/12)

#10 of 12 Old 02-28-2012, 01:59 PM

Curious if you got the position?

I work 12 hour shifts, but only two/week.  I love it! and can't imagine going to back to working 8hr shifts.  You might be a little tired after your 12 hours at work.. but it sounds like the kids will be in bed and happily sleeping when you come home.  Which means mama gets mama time! and you will be refreshed and ready for another day by morning. 

#11 of 12 Old 03-10-2012, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

I am still in the interviewing process.  I am losing some of my original enthusiasm for the new position.  I happened to meet someone whose daughter works in the same positon with the same company that I am in considering but in a different location.  The mother said the work is grueling and according to her, the requirement is 15 shifts per month which is a far stretch from three twelves per week.  She gave me her daughter's name and number but I haven't been able to connect with her yet.  To date, I have been dealing with a recruiter, and I am wondering if he is painting an unrealistic rosy picture.  I am suppose to interview with the Regional Director in 2 to 3 weeks so I will keep you posted. 

#12 of 12 Old 03-12-2012, 07:15 PM

I do three twelves but my kids are older and can fill in the gaps for themselves if necessary. 15 twelve hour shifts a month is way too much! I worked that last month to get some extra hours, and it almost did me in. I think that's a lot to ask.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Tags
Working

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page