weaned from pump, now considering nightweaning--can we still nurse? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-01-2012, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is just a couple months past his second birthday. I pumped until just past a year, and since then he's been drinking cow's milk during the day and nursing at night. On a good day (good from the perspective of my sleep needs) he nurses 4-5 times in a 24h period; more if he is teething or sick. He nurses to sleep, then often sleeps through to about 4am, then nurses around 6, then when we get up at 7.

I'd like to continue nursing but nightwean. Any btdt stories about how this might affect supply? Will I be able to continue nursing 2-3x per day without him weaning completely?

#2 of 5 Old 02-03-2012, 03:11 PM

I think at this point - 2 years, you're fine to drop the night nursing. My son will be 2 in March and I'm big right now on completely dropping the night nursing. We had limited it, but exhaustion set in for me and sickness for him and he's back to night nursing a lot.

With my older daughter we  night-weaned and she kept right on nursing whenever I would let her. In fact, I mommy-led weaned her at 4.5 years old but she would have gone longer.

My son appears to be much less into nursing, but I'm really not worried about weaning now. And anyway, if night weaning leads to all out weaning - well, he's 2 and if he's done this year than he's done this year. Do you have an idea of how long YOU want to nurse, or is it just up to the child? I mean, if you night wean, and he completely weans, than I guess he was ready. I hope this makes sense.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#3 of 5 Old 02-04-2012, 12:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
My son is 18 months. We partially night weaned first actually and I just quit pumping last month. He still nurses at 5am, approx 6pm, at bedtime & sometime between 1130 - 2 a night. On weekends he nurses down for his nap as well. My supply is definitely lower but still adequate. Good luck!

sent from my phone using tapatalk, please forgive typos

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#4 of 5 Old 02-20-2012, 04:06 PM

yes you can spot wean and nurse whenever you want.  It really helps the child to have set times or time/place or "rules"  like it has to be light out.  and stay within the parameters you set every day. (of course if your dear nursling is ill, nothing is better than breastfeeding)

I do before bed and first thing in the morning...twice a day.  We started this routine when my son was 2.5.  it works nicely for us.

We still love to nurse, he is the 3rd (and final) of my 3 exclusively BF babies.

Good Luck, you will find what works for you and your son:)

#5 of 5 Old 02-21-2012, 07:01 AM

Yeah, my DD and I were down to just nursing right before bed only for a few months, my body adjusted my supply down, but I always had milk until we fully weaned. And yes, having clear limits/rules helps your child understand when they can expect to be able to nurse and when they can't. Good luck!

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

Tags
Working

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page